aux cooler?

PICT0072.jpg

PICT0073.jpg

PICT0074.jpg

PICT0076.jpg

A couple of pix of my two that are mounted.

heres what I use.

on my WE4
aftermarket rad, so external coolers on eng & trans.

Attachments

• MVC-020S.JPG
    MVC-020S.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 445
  • MVC-019S.JPG
    MVC-019S.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 455
hey texast where did you get the rubber grommets that are holding the tranny cooler to the crossbars.

I believe the clamps came from the electrical section in my local Lowe's home improvement store.

I run a tube and fin on every car I have. Works great and a little lighter than the others. I do not have closeups, but I a pic in my gallery on the sight where you can see it thru the grill. Some moron actually thought it was a front mount I/C. I guess, maybe, the worlds smallest???

Thanks
Coach

It's true. The stacked plate design is much more efficient for the area, and has become the state of the art for transmission cooling. Tube and fin is old school.

I would still not recommend running a liquid to air aux cooler as your only transmission cooler. The liquid to liquid coolers used in the radiator, even though being so small compared to an aux cooler, is 14 times more efficient at cutting the heat than any aux cooler.
Always run the cooler that is in the radiator along with the aux cooler.

Ford tried running external liquid to air coolers for their transmissions around the 2000 year, in some of their trucks with disasterous results. They now sell a retrofit kit to convert back to the more standard configuration. The kit includes a radiator with an internal transmission cooler. Ooops!

Here's the scenario for a truck. You're pulling a grade, towing a heavy load, in slow traffic. How much air flow do you have over the external transmission cooler? That's when you wish you had that internal cooler.

Here's the scenario for a truck. You're pulling a grade, towing a heavy load, in slow traffic. How much air flow do you have over the external transmission cooler? That's when you wish you had that internal cooler.[/QUOTE]

the same amount as the radiator and ac condensor, thats where a adiquite fan comes into play

Here's the scenario for a truck. You're pulling a grade, towing a heavy load, in slow traffic. How much air flow do you have over the external transmission cooler? That's when you wish you had that internal cooler.

the same amount as the radiator and ac condensor, thats where a adiquite fan comes into play[/QUOTE]

Well then, Ford didn't use an adequate fan. That's evidenced time and time again by the burnt up units that come into the shop right after a long haul up the local grade.

Here's a test everyone can do to showcase the effectiveness of air cooled vs. liquid cooled. Take a torch and heat up a piece of metal to red hot. Take your most powerful air gun (this would be far more airflow than any fan could produce) to it and see how long it takes to cool the piece of metal to a point where you could comfortably hold the heated end.
Now take a red hot heated piece of metal and put it under the faucet with the 'hot water' side flowing. See how fast your able to grasp the hot end. You will be amazed.

Water vs Air cooling

Good example Donnie, I read on a site somewhere that water is 80 to 100 times more efficient at cooling than air.

Donnie,
What fan/cooler/location do you recommend for a hot street driven TB?
Conrad

When running an aux cooler with the internal radiator cooler, I recommend mounting the cooler in the grill area. Behind a f/m intercooler is fine. The intercooler is not going to be hot all the time. Only under boost conditions, which shouldn't be for very long stretches.
I don't believe in mounting the cooler flat, out of the air stream and relying on a fan to take the place of the power of having the cooler in the direct airstream.

Another simple test. Pick whatever fan you wish. Put your hand in the airstream of that fan and note the power of the airflow. Now jump in the car and take a drive on the freeway. Lower the driver's window and put your hand out the window flat to the airstream. You'll be amazed. :eek:

Don't mean to get too far OT but, are there great advantages to the plate or the aluminum stacked plate designs?

I am going to add an aux cooler to my Suburban(1999 K2500 454/4L80E) as the fluid seems to be getting over heated. I as you can see have the tube and fin and a Hayden plastic plate type one in front of my Regal. On previous vehicles I have also used the Hayden plastic cooler as it is readily available at my local part house(O'reilly's). The aluminum ones is bigger(thicker) and aluminum and about twice as much cost wise. Is it worth it or is the 30k gvwr Hayden fine?

Stcked plate design is much more efficient. The aluminum last longer than the plastic as they're prone to cracking over time.