You can type here any text you want

Axle bearings

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dvernst

Any idea how long it should take to replace all of the bearings and seals in the rear end? Thanks

Also interested, and where can I get all the bearings and seals (part numbers?) for doing this as well?

I might get my complete rear end powder coated and would then have to strip it prior to that.

bearings..

.. this may help:. all gm / delco #'s
Bearing:
RW - 20-09 if 1.4" ID X 2.251" OD X .697" THICK - 7.625 RING GEAR
RW - 20-70 if 7.75 DIA RING GEAR

Seals: (national)
710179 if 7.75" RING GEAR
or
8660S if 7.625" RING GEAR

ALSo. the worn axle bearing repair kit is more practical, incorporating the seal etc..
# RP5707

Further note for the uninititiated.

When rebuilding or resealing our 9 botl rears the left and right axle seals have different part numbers and can only go on their repsective sides.

If u dont do it, they will leak again.

later
Jeremy

which rear end

.. Jerry.. so which then is the rear end in our vehicles.. from the two listed above..... that would be more help .

ozpont said:
.. Jerry.. so which then is the rear end in our vehicles.. from the two listed above..... that would be more help .
Hey over there in australia can you get any rear end parts from Borg Warner? I tried to call there from here and it was $20 dollars just to get connected.

I'm interested in a complete breakdown of part numbers to make sure I get the correct bearings, seals and whatever else I would need to replace if I take it apart at some point.

BW parts in Oz

...umm.. not so easy anymore.. Borg Warner sold off there stocks of rear ends about 2 years back.. most at 25% of wholesale job lots etc. all gone.
Somewhere around the place I have a few pictures of 82-84 TA's (Left hand drive) being driven around down here by BW & GM staff for testing..
John Sawruk from Pontiac Historical Collection fame was one of those engineers assigned downunder for a duration.
But.. yes there are more BW parts here then probably anywhere.
.. and btw.. "Hey over there in australia can you get any rear end parts from Borg Warner? I tried to call there from here and it was $20 dollars just to get connected"..... that comment about the phone cost.. .. sorry but gotta say it.. North American folk just get ripped off big time on phone costs (and even worse is medical insurance!! ) but other things make up for it... but gotta say.. that in some parts of our country .. we TOO have speed limits...!! :smile:
Yell if somebody out there has BW part #'s that mean anything and you need further checking locally.

Back