Axle seal leak snowballs into mucho $ spent..

RobsIron

Silent but Violent
It has happened to all of us right? One small repair leads to many long overdue upgrades.
Back on Dec 6th I'm out cruising with my TR and my buddy's '67 Chevelle. He's got a 502 with a 200-4r and a 3.42 rear. We played a little at a light and for the first time ever I had some bad tire shake.
3 days later there's a pool of gear oil at the passenger rear tire. I can fix that. Might as well throw in some 28 spline Moser axles. Pull the cover and notice a Gov-lock carrier. Geez. Hmmm..time for a Detriot TruTrac and 30 spline axles. Send the 28's back. Btw, anyone know how hard it is to find axle bearings and seals made in the USA? Anyway, got everything installed. While its on the lift I see my tires are getting a little dry. Time for all new rubber. I buy some 295 35 18 drag radials. They are a 1/4" narrower than my old 295's. WTF? No way I'm putting on skinnier tires. Massaged the fender lips a little and stuffed a set of 315 30's in there! Hell yeah..meatville! Way better. Went to a 275/35 on front. Up from a 265.
In the garage and see the set of Hurst Lightning Rods I bought about 8 years ago along with a GN console. Maybe I'll throw that in along with the set of black leather racing buckets I bought when I got the shifter. Get the buckets in and decide to go in a different direction on the shifter. I sell the Hurst for $550, the console for $125 and the B&M pro stick that's been in car for $125. $800 total and then spent $708 on a new Kilduff lightning rod shifter with pistol grips and a console. Different. I like.
Take it out for a test run to check for tire rubbage and test the shifter. Cruising along and the exhaust valve spring on #5 breaks. Buy a new set of 981's with more seat pressure and I get them all installed(the nylon rope trick in the cylinder is way better than the air compressor deal). Changed the oil using Royal Purple for the first time. Good stuff. Left a breather cap off and then ran over it. Time for new ones. My own custom design. Added some wicked 10mm plug wires too.

Weather is good here. Drove it today. The Sledgehammer has been revitalized. Time to really enjoy it now. Have only put 900 miles on it in 11 years.

I think it all turned out cool. Here's some not so good cell phone pics..

Attachments

• untitledTRn67.png
    untitledTRn67.png
    7.2 MB · Views: 299
  • untitledgn315 (2).png
    untitledgn315 (2).png
    13.7 MB · Views: 257
  • untitledgnkilduff (2).png
    untitledgnkilduff (2).png
    15.1 MB · Views: 364
  • untitledgnengine (2).png
    untitledgnengine (2).png
    13 MB · Views: 249
that shifter looks complicated.. shifting up and down as you apex one corner and head into another has got to be tricky..

New rubber looks good! What were the old seats? Recaro Sports? You selling them? I remember this car way back when Heath had it. Totally forgot about the tweed interior.

Looks great! Now put some miles on it!

Another Heath car will be on the road in a couple months! My friend has the two tone one and going thru it over the winter. Will be back out with new exhaust, intercooler, radiator/fan setup, tubular control arms, coil overs at all four corners.

New rubber looks good! What were the old seats? Recaro Sports? You selling them? I remember this car way back when Heath had it. Totally forgot about the tweed interior.

Thanks man. I paid a extra $100 to get the BFG KDW2's up front because they matched the drag radials better. The BFG Comp II's are as good and cheaper just didn't match. The seats are Cobra's. Don't know what to do with them. The foam is breaking apart under the material. The tweed is cool, but a little too street roddish for me. I am going with some gray leather on the dash. I'll keep the tweed on the doors and headliner since GN's had cloth there anyway. Tweed sure does smell good tho.

untitledgnrear (2).png
Looks great! Now put some miles on it!

Another Heath car will be on the road in a couple months! My friend has the two tone one and going thru it over the winter. Will be back out with new exhaust, intercooler, radiator/fan setup, tubular control arms, coil overs at all four corners.

Will do on the miles Mark. I sure do love that silver/black car. Glad to see its getting revamped. Pretty much what I just did. Mine is going on 15 years since built and the silver one is only a year or two newer. Been thinking about tubular A arms too. Hmmm..coil overs are a good idea. Oh man..more $. I'm adding some new stainless muffs next week too. The race magnums are rusting out. Too many short drives. They sound good with those extra holes..:D:D

Last edited:
Your car always looks great !! Love the meats under it....
Im not a fan of the new shifter but, hey its not my car.

Bryan

Your car always looks great !! Love the meats under it....
Im not a fan of the new shifter but, hey its not my car.

Bryan

Thanks Bryan. I had a few telling me to keep the 295's even tho the new ones were were a 1/4" narrower. Couldn't do it. The extra effort to fit the 315's was worth it!

The shifter isn't for everyone. I was just sick of the Pro Shifter by itself on the floor with no console and this was a good remedy for something different. It fits in well since my car is so modified.

Thanks Bryan. I had a few telling me to keep the 295's even tho the new ones were were a 1/4" narrower. Couldn't do it. The extra effort to fit the 315's was worth it!

The shifter isn't for everyone. I was just sick of the Pro Shifter by itself on the floor with no console and this was a good remedy for something different. It fits in well since my car is so modified.
I can't seem to find a shifter that I like. I had a Pro Ratchet for awhile, hated the double shift from park to reverse . I liked the looks but not the daily function.

Bryan