Backed a snake into a corner..

ALblackT

1374498523175.jpg

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Awesome pic!
Reminds me of the fight between the Cobra and the Mongoose. Cobra misses each strike, but the Mongoose takes it down first hit.

"The snake tries to warn the Mongoose away, making use of that famous hood and raspy hiss,
but the mongoose is persistent, and on the hunt"

Great choice of words. LOL.

D

If memory serves, the mongoose is immune to the cobra's venom

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

"Why could the mongoose Rikki Tikki Tavi attack deadly snakes with impunity in Kipling's "Jungle Book?" Because he has a uniquely mutated receptor for a brain neurotransmitter called acetylcholine, researchers at the Weizmann Institute of Science report in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
The toxins in many snake venoms, including that of cobras, bind to the acetylcholine receptors of their victims, blocking nerve-muscle communications. Molecular biologist Sara Fuchs and her colleagues found that the acetylcholine receptor in mongooses--like that in the snakes themselves--is slightly mutated so that the venom simply bounces off the muscle cells, causing them no harm."
If a mongoose is bitten by a pit viper, ie: puff adder, rattlesnake, they will die because their venom is a hemotoxin vs the cobra venom which is a neurotoxin..........

You were very lonely as a child, weren't you Weester.:rolleyes:

And this is the snake that I backed into a corner.;) Notice it's head's missing now.:D
DSCF1083.JPG

Wasn't poisonous, you could have just picked it up and removed it...............:D

I'll call you and you can pick the next one up then.:p In the dark or light non poisonous snakes run, this one had my dog running around it and it kept coming. It was a cotton mouth.;) The pic was taken in the dark and you really can't see the markings that well.:rolleyes:

I'll call you and you can pick the next one up then.:p In the dark or light non poisonous snakes run, this one had my dog running around it and it kept coming. It was a cotton mouth.;) The pic was taken in the dark and you really can't see the markings that well.:rolleyes:

Charlie

I would protect my dog too but that looks more like a water snake in the genus Nerodia. A cottonmouth has a much shorter tail and its body is much thicker.

water snake.jpg
water snake

Charlie

I would protect my dog too but that looks more like a water snake in the genus Nerodia. A cottonmouth has a much shorter tail and its body is much thicker.

View attachment 196062 water snake

I live less than 200 yards from a pond and there really isn't any other water within at least 1/2 mile. We've had to go down to the pond to kill the snakes so the goats don't get bit. We've had a few that disturb snakes and so far we've been able keep them alive but I'd rather shoot snakes than risk a farm animal or my dogs.;)

Though the majority of specimens are almost or even totally black, (with the exception of head and facial markings), the color pattern may consist of a brown, gray, tan, yellowish-olive or blackish ground color, which is overlaid with a series of 10-17 dark brown to almost black crossbands. These crossbands, which usually have black edges, are sometimes broken along the dorsal midline to form a series of staggered halfbands on either side of the body. These crossbands are visibly lighter in the center, almost matching the ground color, often contain irregular dark markings, and extend well down onto the ventral scales. The dorsal banding pattern fades with age, so older individuals are an almost uniform olive brown, grayish-brown or black. The belly is white, yellowish-white or tan, marked with dark spots, and becomes darker posteriorly. The amount of dark pigment on the belly varies from virtually nothing to almost completely black. The head is a more or less uniform brown color, especially in A. p. piscivorus. Subadult specimens may exhibit the same kind of dark, parietal spots characteristic of A. contortrix, but sometimes these are still visible in adults. Eastern populations have a broad, dark, postocular stripe, bordered with pale pigment above and below, that is faint or absent in western populations. The underside of the head is generally whitish, cream or tan.

This is the largest species of the genus Agkistrodon. Adults commonly exceed 80 cm (31.5 in) in length, females grow smaller than males. Occasionally, individuals may exceed 180 cm (71 in) in length, especially in the eastern part of the range.[7] According to Gloyd and Conant (1990), the largest recorded specimen of A. p. piscivorus was 188 cm (74 in) in length.