You can type here any text you want

Bad turbo! -- misfiring problem *edit: and knock

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

MAK507

Down pipe is drenched with black oil.. Exhaust has been spewing white smoke like an 18 wheeler with a bad turbo!

Pics on 2nd post.

4/5/2016 9pm PST update:

A buddy owns a ttype and brought me his old stock turbo. I swapped it in and wallah.. No more smoke.

The car is having a pretty good misfiring issue. What could cause this?

New parts list:
*lucas 38lb injectors
*walbro fuelpump from Kirban Performance
*ignition control module
*coil pack
*acdelco r45s spark plugs gapped at .035
*acdelco spark plug wires 8mm
*accufab fuel pressure regulator, pressure set at 42 line off
*lt1 3.00" maf sensor with maf translator to a 3.00" maf pipe with k&n filter
*TurboTweak chip set to the 38lb injectors 16 psi, TA-49 turbo (this is the one that went bad)

Could the misfiring be happening (right now) because of the TurboTweak chip being burnt to the TA-49 and not a stock? Vacuum/boost gauge reads 15 in Hg at idle

What could be other possible problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Here goes nothing gentlemen:

f911d0504b0e0791f5d401a333a456f1.jpg

537589e86acbaded6f9a6ac896813829.jpg

1e51b30f3fb04a0992f6f435832ac9a5.jpg

Yup it's bad... time to send it in

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

"acdelco r45s spark plugs gapped at .035".....

Yeah I recommended replacement plugs in the other post. Time for a trip to O'Reilly.

"acdelco r45s spark plugs gapped at .035".....

Okay. Just bought the AutoLite 23... What should I gap them to?

Thanks for all of your help guys. I'm a newbie that was stupid enough to fall in love with an over complicated woman (car) :(

I got into this game about 3 years ago not knowing much about the car!! After lots of reading and questions here I get around the car well now!! Patience, motivation and persistance and youll be fine!!(y)

I got the oil changed, shop used 10W-40 and after a couple minutes of car running I started hearing a very audible knock coming from passenger valve cover area. Sounded like maybe a push rod? Freaked me out.

Got home and emptied out the oil and used 5W-30 with LUCAS ENGINE BREAK-IN TB ZINC PLUS OIL ADDITIVE and sound seems to have gone away. I'll let you guys know how it goes tomorrow. I didn't have time to change spark plugs.

Sparkplug gap and/or coil. I don't get it, you swap turbos but take the car somewhere to change the oil? Sure they didn't take it for a little "test"?

Sparkplug gap and/or coil. I don't get it, you swap turbos but take the car somewhere to change the oil? Sure they didn't take it for a little "test"?

The shop owner is a client of mine. He's been wanting to see it. I drove it over there and he was like "we'll do it for you on me." (I've sent him a lot of business)

The car never left the shop, I had the keys with me the whole time.

The shop owner is a client of mine. He's been wanting to see it. I drove it over there and he was like "we'll do it for you on me." (I've sent him a lot of business)

The car never left the shop, I had the keys with me the whole time.

I wouldn't take my car to any shop for an oil change unless they put oil in that I brought which defeats the purpose of having them change your oil.

What you or others may not know is that all oil change chains and a lot of independent garages use cheap BULK oil. How do you think that they can offer a 19.99 oil change and still make money??

They really depend on the up sell products to really put the gravy in their pockets.

Your client may be a nice guy but by putting low grade {BULK} oil in your car he has done you a great disservice and can/will cost you in the long run.

Got it. Smh. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Like I said, I put 5w-30 with he zinc additive. I'm changing plugs tonight and I'll see how she runs.

I'd try a "tight" .028

Back