bad wheel hop any advice?

enforcer1

I am having very violent wheel hop when trying to accelerate hard or do a burn out at the strip. Seems to be mostly the passenger side rear, but it is BAD. I'm running drag radials now but was having the same problem with regular street tires.
Heres what I'm running: 16x8 gnx type wheels with 255 50 16 yokahoma tires or Nittos in 245 50 16 size. air bags in both springs, different pressures dont seem to matter, hrpartsnstuff boxed in lower control arms with uerathane bushings, stock sway bar,larger pinion snubber. The best 60 ft time is 1.955.
Any ideas here? nothing appears broke under the car. I need to fix this but I really dont know where to start. bigger sway bar? new upper control arms? new springs? HELP.

Originally posted by enforcer1
I am having very violent wheel hop when trying to accelerate hard or do a burn out at the strip. Seems to be mostly the passenger side rear, but it is BAD. I'm running drag radials now but was having the same problem with regular street tires.
Heres what I'm running: 16x8 gnx type wheels with 255 50 16 yokahoma tires or Nittos in 245 50 16 size. air bags in both springs, different pressures dont seem to matter, hrpartsnstuff boxed in lower control arms with uerathane bushings, stock sway bar,larger pinion snubber. The best 60 ft time is 1.955.
Any ideas here? nothing appears broke under the car. I need to fix this but I really dont know where to start. bigger sway bar? new upper control arms? new springs? HELP.

Ditch the pinion snubber. Don't ask how I know :rolleyes:

I had VIOLENT wheel hop also. So bad it felt like the Hulk was picking up the rear of my car and slamming it down rapidly. One thing fixed it. Boxed lower trailing arms.
Thats all I put on and it went away. Hope this helps.

Scott

Read his post. He's already got boxed LCA's, poly bushings and air bags. :rolleyes:

TurboDave's the only one giving useful advice.

mine did this on nittos for a few days, turns out the pass spring fell out of the perch on the frame and caused the car to wheelhop like a mofo-
instead of being straight up and down, it was cocked to one side

it has airbags too.

We read his post thank you. Go roll you eyes somewhere else. We all were just giving him our scenarios and what worked for us. Everyone knows what works for one TR doesnt always work for another. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Scott

Originally posted by IrvJr
We read his post thank you. Go roll you eyes somewhere else. We all were just giving him our scenarios and what worked for us. Everyone knows what works for one TR doesnt always work for another. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Scott

Yes indeed b4black. I think we helped him narrow it down! Geez!:rolleyes:

Is you car lowered?? If so you may neeb to relocate the lower control arm lower...Just a thought, lowered F-bodies have this problem...It's caused by the fact that when you lower a car the lower control arms front mounting point is lower so the angle is less, which means the control arm has less leverage on the rear end...It's usually not a problem until the front mounting point becomes lower then the mounting point on the rear end, but their are exceptions...Spohn and BMR sell them for F-bodies, and they WILL fit your car, I already wrote them and asked...Course if your car isn't lowered then this was a waste, but maybe someone else reading this will learn sometehing...Also if the bushing on your uppers are worn out that will do it also.

HOW OLD/WHIPPED ARE YOUR SHOCKS AND SPRINGS?? IF YOUR SPRINGS ARE SHOT, THEY ARE NOT GONNA PROVIDE THE STIFFNESS THAT YOU NEED FOR A GOOD LAUNCH -- THEY WILL MAKE YOU HOP. GO OUT TO YOUR CAR, AND PUSH DOWN REEL HARD ON THE TRUNK. IF THE CAR TAKES FOREVER TO STOP BOUNCING, YOUR SHOCKS/SPRINGS ARE PROBABLY SHOT. START HERE

If it takes forever to stop bouncing then it's shocks...This will not work for springs...if the springs are bad you will lose ride highth

springs are every bit as important as shocks......if you are gonna race, both need to be replaced

Originally posted by azgn
springs are every bit as important as shocks......if you are gonna race, both need to be replaced

I'm fearing that's the case with my car. It rides a little unevenly (left side higher than right) without any air in my RS airbag.

Azgn, do you have any suggestions on springs and shocks? I did the 'bounce' test on my car, and it seems solid. But the springs are definitely the originals, they're pretty rough lookin'.

Originally posted by Slow91z
Is you car lowered?? BLAH BLAH BLAH.
:D

my slow car is lowered 2 inches all around and has stock uppers and lowers and does not wheel hop:p

well, I'll tell ya what I use....I have the standard cargo springs that several vendors sell and KYB shocks on the rear.....after 16 years, no spring is much good:)

you need to check the lower control arm bolts also....they may have loosened up......oh, and take a look at the upper control arm bushings (big PITA to replace, but necessary if shot)

Originally posted by Quick6'n'-K.C.
:D

my slow car is lowered 2 inches all around and has stock uppers and lowers and does not wheel hop:p

Sorry, I thought I made it clear that it's more of a F-body problem, Just thought it might help some...

Weazel- If your car rides uneven then you really need to check out some springs.

I have the exact same symptoms as enforcer1. GNX style wheels also with 255-50x16 DRs (BFG). Passenger air bag, boxed LCAs, new springs and Billsteins. Also have aftermarket pinion snubber. Bad wheel hop even when doing a burnout last time at track, and terrible 60fts no matter what I try on launch.
Im going to check that all bolts and such are tight back there, but I have been curious about the pinion snubber for sometime now, ever since reading a thread awhile ago about bouncing off the poly snubber. TurboDave, If I were to just take it out and try to launch without it, do I need to put the stock one back in?