bad wheel hop any advice?

Originally posted by 6SENSE
I have the exact same symptoms as enforcer1. GNX style wheels also with 255-50x16 DRs (BFG). Passenger air bag, boxed LCAs, new springs and Billsteins. Also have aftermarket pinion snubber. Bad wheel hop even when doing a burnout last time at track, and terrible 60fts no matter what I try on launch.
Im going to check that all bolts and such are tight back there, but I have been curious about the pinion snubber for sometime now, ever since reading a thread awhile ago about bouncing off the poly snubber. TurboDave, If I were to just take it out and try to launch without it, do I need to put the stock one back in?

You can put the stock one back in if you like, just as a safety item. If you look at it when it's installed, there's NO WAY the differential is going to come in contact with it during normal conditions or even racing. The only time I could see the diff. coming in contact with the original piece is if the car were SEVERELY over loaded.

Besides, the axle snubbers out on the axle ends should preclude any metal to metal contact if the rear squats THAT badly.

Although I don't race my car, I did have severe wheel hop when doing burnouts and what not. I did Bilsteins and that seemed to have fixed the problem.

I'm definitely a novice with suspension, but I fail to realize how boxed LCA's alone, without replacing either springs or shocks or both, would eliminate wheel hop. I'm not criticizing - I guess it's more of me asking a question :D I would think that wheel hop is more of a function of worn shocks and springs, shocks moreso.

Rich:D

Wheel hop happens when the axle twists one way, then the tires spin and it goes back, then the axle twists again, then the tires spin harder and the axle comes back, ect. ect. ect. ect....That's very simplified but hopefully you get the idea....boxed control arms and poly bushing hold the axle in place better stopping this.

Thanks for all the replys guys.
I already have the Hrpartsnstuff heavy duty lower control arms with the poly bushings. These things are sure striong looking.
I

Thanks for the replys everyone,

I already have heavy duty lower control arms with poly bushings.

I just put new Bilstein shocks on the car.

Springs are the original stock ones. My ride height still looks good, they don t appear to be sagging.

should I try a bigger sway bar? I have heard that they will help with traction?

Or should I try some new upper control arms?

I will remove the pinion snubber and see if this helps.

Sway bars help to keep the car level side to side for even loading on both tires and less chassis flex...I think upper bushings or arms would do the trick.