You can type here any text you want

Balancing

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

slamming 6

Drag Master
What balance for a stageII daily driver.I am only looking to run the car at 10.50s not going to push it past that.but love driving it every day don't know if the balance has anything to do with a driver versus race car.TIA,Take Care,AL.

It's search time...:eek:

Actually, the answer to this is never ending since there are no fast answers.
To quote H.VanDriel "no concrete rules for a V6".
Starting with lower % for slower RPM and higher % for hi'r rev's.
Good Luck finding a fast answer.
Gary

The Power Source book said 36 to 50%. Mine's balanced at 40%, and is fine onthe street with HR poly mounts. Not as smooth as a stocker, but perfectly acceptable.

Whether you use the stock balancing or go with 50% depends mainly on the type of mounts you are going to use and how much money you want to spend.

Stock mounts, stock balancing.
Solid or hard mounts, 50%.
When you go 50%, that will usually mean internal balancing, which means heavy metal, zero balanced harmonic damper, zero balanced flexplate.

What kind of parts are you using for the reciprocating mass? Crankshaft, rods, flexplate, damper? What block are you using?

Is this a budget deal or are you trying to do this right?

Off center block,crower crank,oliver rods,diamond pistons,jw flexplate,bjh balancer,h&r motor mounts,hyd roller cam,gn1 heads,scorpion rockers,I want it right no budget deal at all.Hope this helps DonWG,Take Care,AL.

Off center block,crower crank,oliver rods,diamond pistons,jw flexplate,bjh balancer,h&r motor mounts,hyd roller cam,gn1 heads,scorpion rockers,I want it right no budget deal at all.Hope this helps DonWG,Take Care,AL.
Al,
Is the crank heavily weighted (no special lightening features)? The BHJ damper and the flexplate, what balance configuration are they? Are they internal or external balance type? Did you already purchase them?

With the h&r mounts, I would internally balance at 50%. Even if the crank is heavily weighted, you will most likely need heavy metal added to the crank.

Well, seeing you said daily driver and are only looking for mid 10's, then I'm guessing you want it stocker like smooth or better. I would balance it at 36.3 percent and use new stock rubber motor mounts. Balance should be done on a digital balancer, well trained operator, that is familiar with Buick v6. He will also need the correct bob-weights. I would internally balance the motor and zero balance the flexplate and harmonic balancer/hub. I have run them at several different percentages and I believe this will suit your needs best, however, this is not what I would choose for a high rpm race only motor.

Al,
Is the crank heavily weighted (no special lightening features)? The BHJ damper and the flexplate, what balance configuration are they? Are they internal or external balance type? Did you already purchase them?

With the h&r mounts, I would internally balance at 50%. Even if the crank is heavily weighted, you will most likely need heavy metal added to the crank.

The rotating assembly is internally balanced to within 1/2 a gram at 36.6% should I not use the HR parts mounts.

Well, seeing you said daily driver and are only looking for mid 10's, then I'm guessing you want it stocker like smooth or better. I would balance it at 36.3 percent and use new stock rubber motor mounts. Balance should be done on a digital balancer, well trained operator, that is familiar with Buick v6. He will also need the correct bob-weights. I would internally balance the motor and zero balance the flexplate and harmonic balancer/hub. I have run them at several different percentages and I believe this will suit your needs best, however, this is not what I would choose for a high rpm race only motor.

All that has been taken of JAY,what would you call high rpm dont plan on more than 6500rpm,Thanks,AL.

Back