Barrett Jackson GNs

I don't think the BJ auctions should be an indicator of what these cars are really worth. Seems like a bunch of rich folks just playing to show how deep their wallets are. They get caught up in the bidding frenzy and don't want to be shown up by the other guys bidding. JMO :)

there is three 87 gn in the indiana rv trader for $ 10,000 and under maybe i should go buy them and take them to a auction, :)

odell4o8 said:
there is three 87 gn in the indiana rv trader for $ 10,000 and under maybe i should go buy them and take them to a auction, :)
I know the kids of today think our cars are big compared to the ricers, but to put them in the RV Trader!!??!! :D

These are all rich people that need to INVEST money. I would be willing to bet the prices double in 10 years. Look what they have done in the last 10 years.

Those poor stupid rich people paying too much for these damn cars. :biggrin:

GNSCOTT said:
These are all rich people that need to INVEST money. I would be willing to bet the prices double in 10 years. Look what they have done in the last 10 years.

Those poor stupid rich people paying too much for these damn cars. :biggrin:

Some of the cars will be higher in 10 years, but $600K for a '70 Hardtop Hemi 'Cuda is F'n nuts. I owned 3 'Cuda's and they are cool looking, but drive like buckboards and None could touch my $5K T-type in ANY aspect of performance without dumping a ton of money into it (at which point it would not be stock anymore and nearly worthless to a collector).

UNGN said:
Some of the cars will be higher in 10 years, but $600K for a '70 Hardtop Hemi 'Cuda is F'n nuts. I owned 3 'Cuda's and they are cool looking, but drive like buckboards and None could touch my $5K T-type in ANY aspect of performance without dumping a ton of money into it (at which point it would not be stock anymore and nearly worthless to a collector).
hehe, here's a quote from the link above "1970 HEMI ‘Cuda convertible, selling for $2,160,000" that $600k one was chump change :eek:

Barrett-Jack

Bere

That's Jag-uer- erer!! I don't know much about the Camaros (even though I have two a 85 and a 95), but like a lot of you are saying old cars are becoming the rich man's/no brains play toys...especially the $$ that are paid for clones. Some of the prices that I saw were simply just plain stupid and that clown makes $160K for every million dollars sold.. What in the hell has this country turned into? Those that have the $$ just want the shinest car on the block or want something to sit on display. It's their money but they have ruined the hobby just like coins, trains, art and whatever they think they can make a buck on. Sorry for the rant.

Roger

rhunt said:
Bere

That's Jag-uer- erer!! I don't know much about the Camaros (even though I have two a 85 and a 95), but like a lot of you are saying old cars are becoming the rich man's/no brains play toys...especially the $$ that are paid for clones. Some of the prices that I saw were simply just plain stupid and that clown makes $160K for every million dollars sold.. What in the hell has this country turned into? Those that have the $$ just want the shinest car on the block or want something to sit on display. It's their money but they have ruined the hobby just like coins, trains, art and whatever they think they can make a buck on. Sorry for the rant.

Roger

Trust me, the rich idiots make the hobby better. While these clowns fight over the 600 or so Hemi 'cuda produced, guys like us can spend 1/50 of what they are spending on a car that accelerates, handles and even brakes better and has something a Hemicuda will NEVER have... Air Conditioning.

UNGN said:

I don't see how the performance comparison of the 2 cars (especially cars made decades apart) makes a difference in what the cars are worth> I read these posts every year about how crazy and nuts these people are, but the prices are going up at a great rate EVERY year. THe $600k Hemi Cuda could sell for $900k next year and pocket that F'N nuts owner $300k in 1 year. Of course its a risk, but so far it has paid out year in, year out.

I think I'm putting my Turbo T on BJ next year so I can get my 35 grand. Only paid $5400 for it, plus 30 grand in mods, breaking even would be fine with me right now. Then I can go an buy a $20K GN in nice shape from TB.com and pocket the $15K - 8% fees.

GNSCOTT said:
I don't see how the performance comparison of the 2 cars (especially cars made decades apart) makes a difference in what the cars are worth> I read these posts every year about how crazy and nuts these people are, but the prices are going up at a great rate EVERY year. THe $600k Hemi Cuda could sell for $900k next year and pocket that F'N nuts owner $300k in 1 year. Of course its a risk, but so far it has paid out year in, year out.

You can't believe there are 600 idiots out there that will pay $600K for a Hemi Cuda hardtop?

Even if only 100 of the 600 still remain, do you think there are 100 idiots that will pay $600K for a Hemi cuda hardtop? How much do you think it costs to restore a 'cuda? Since I've done 3, I can tell you it takes a hell of a lot less than $600K, even if you are starting with a hubcap. Even if Chip Foose did all the work himself, you'd still have less than $300k in it.

From the looks of BJ there were a grand total of 4 idiots once the price got over $150K, and now there are only 3 (one of them already has his $600K Hemicuda.)

$2M for a convertible Hemicuda is one thing (there are only 14 and less than 2000 potential clone cars), hardtops another (Over 25,000 hardtop "parts cars" were built in 1970).

I hope he enjoys his $600K Hemicuda, because he is going to be keeping it for a while, Trust me.

Well here is my rant! I personally think that jerk Craig Jackson and his rich cohorts should be hung! They are doing nothing but running the common man out of the car hobby plain and simple. For every one of these things that sell for a ridiculous price at that auction, every Tom, Dick and Harry that has one in his back yard thinks his is worth the same! Just wait, if this insanity does not stop you won't be able to touch anything with a front engine/rear drive platform for less that a home mortgage! It really makes me sick! :mad:

vicious6 said:
Well here is my rant! I personally think that jerk Craig Jackson and his rich cohorts should be hung! They are doing nothing but running the common man out of the car hobby plain and simple. For every one of these things that sell for a ridiculous price at that auction, every Tom, Dick and Harry that has one in his back yard thinks his is worth the same! Just wait, if this insanity does not stop you won't be able to touch anything with a front engine/rear drive platform for less that a home mortgage! It really makes me sick! :mad:

High prices help the common car restorer/collector not hurt them. It even helps the guy who can't do any of the work himself so he has it hired out.

High prices mean more reproduction parts, like fenders, hoods and 1/4 panels will be reproduced (priced a set of junkyard Barracuda fenders lately?).

High prices also mean that when a little guy "invests" his hard earned money and time into a car he still might not get it all back, but at least he will get more of it back.

That said, the Musclecar craze is mostly hype. Those cars were not that fast, especially when restored back to stock. Most ran 14's, none ran 12's stock. Even the 1.1 million dollar LS6 Chevelle convert Drag car only ran 11.30's "back in the day" and was the SS/EA world record (and in every magazine road test, stock LS6 automatics only ran high 13's).

Speaking as a guy who had a lot of old musclecars at one time, I can honestly say there are a lot better cars out than there than the ones that sold for $3000 to $5000 new, 35 years ago.

My '86 mustang GT was a way better can than my '71 cuda convertible (that only had 50K miles on it when I bought it). No question, night and day.

Because some idiot wants to pay $2 million dollars for one doesn't make it a better car.

Bj

UNGN

I'm beginning to think you are dead on, but it still hurts to see clones go for such prices. I'm going to hold onto my cars regardless and let the rich farts
jack up the prices.

Roger

Yeah Roger I agree. I know of at least 3 TRs their money will not buy! :biggrin:

rhunt said:
UNGN

I'm beginning to think you are dead on, but it still hurts to see clones go for such prices. I'm going to hold onto my cars regardless and let the rich farts
jack up the prices.

Roger

I love old muscle cars as much as the next guy, but...

If I had $600K to spend on a car NONE of them would be an old Muscle car, especially one where 600 were built.

For $600K, I could buy a new Z06, Ford GT, 911 TT AND Hummer H1 Alpha (to scare the neighbors) and use the rest pay for the taxes and insurance for 5 years.

I'm still trying to figure out what you do with a $600K hemicuda. Drive it? Take it to local car shows? :confused: I bet a dollar if you took it to the mopar nats (where you might get a 4th place trophy), 99.99% of the people there would think you were an idiot.

But god love these rich guys. Good people like Mark Headrich (of goodmark industries) wouldn't be making repro fenders, hoods, etc. for musclecars if it wasn't for rich guys driving up the prices as there are easier ways to make money than making and selling old car parts.