Battery Drain Help

Sal Lubrano

I have a 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee which kills a fully charged battery in a day or two. I have replaced the battery a few times and did a load test, which passes. Hooked a amp meter up to it and it bounces between .07-.08 amps (70-80 ma). That seemed a little high to me so I checked the draw on a different jeep but the same exact model. It had the same exact draw. So, I am assuming this is ok. Is there a way to monitor the load on a battery 24 hours a day with out having to walk over to the meter every time. Maybe with an alarm or something remote. I am guessing the draw is intermittent and I don't have a day or two to to stare at a meter all day.

I would hook up the amp meter that has a peak/hold feature and leave it hooked up. Duplicate the way you leave the truck for the day or two. When you get that high draw, start pulling fuses one by one until the draw goes away. Then look at components hooked to that circuit that could be malfuntioning.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I just had to deal with one like this. Does it have a dome light that dims slowly after closing the door? Te timer on the dome light was messed up on the one I was dealing with. Sometimes it would work right and sometimes it wouldn't.

Sal. Check the rear hatch or glass ajar switch. They are known for going bad. If the switch is bad, the jeep lights will never truly go into sleep mode and will drain battery. Very common problem on 99-04 GC.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app