You can type here any text you want

Battery drain

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

PaulRV6

What is the procedure for checking why my battery drains after a few days. Thanks
Paul N

Easiest is to start one fuse at a time but make sure your fan delay relay is disconnected before you start. That relay when it goes bad turns the fan on when the car is off and drains the battery. FYI driverside relay on the fender it's the bigger one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clock staying on, and fan delay relay, allowing fans to run after engine shutdown, are two common issues..

Ok things to check but what do I do while pulling fuses? Do I need to hook up an ammeter btw the bat terminals? Thanks

paul

A test light between battery positive and cable will work unless you have a multi-tester handy, either way.

Try this
It's a lot easier to watch it , than to explain it .

The clock display was what caused mine to drain. Performed the transistor replacement and it's all good now.

Thanks guys for the feedback. I hooked up my DVM and I was getting 53 MA draw. He said the magic number is 50 ma. So can I assume I don't have a problem? If not then I still gotta wonder why the battery goes dead after a few days. Maybe the battery is shot? Thanks

Do you have the factory theft /security system? That's a known battery killer but not usually that fast. I have also seen the glove box or under hood light not shut off and that will run down a battery in a day or two.

Confirmed the glove box and trunk lites are off and hood lamp is disconnected.

paul

So no one knows about the 53 MA draw that I am finding? Is there a different site to ask this question? Thanks

So no one knows about the 53 MA draw that I am finding? Is there a different site to ask this question? Thanks
The car's ECM & radio clock uses power all the time , that is why you lose settings if you disconnect the battery . Couple that with 30 year old wiring including all chassis grounding points , 53 ma sounds reasonable . I just checked my car and it's drawing 42 ma , and because of my profession I know my wiring is in good shape . Have that battery checked . Sam

Last edited:
Confirmed the glove box and trunk lites are off and hood lamp is disconnected.

paul
Did you disconnects he fan delay relay?
Read my previous post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fan relay seems to be working cause the fans work OK and don't come on for no reason.

I bought the disconnect mentioned above but not sure how it goes on. There is nylon insulation barrier BTW the two pieces.

Paul

The battery post disconnect mounts between the negative post on the battery & the negative cable.

When you want to disconnect the battery, you loosen the central screw on the disconnect until there is enough separation between the two halves that current can no longer flow. If you still have the engine bay light on the underside of the hood, it should go out. When you want to start the car, tighten the central screw until the disconnect makes contact & the hood mounted light comes on.

My car is stored throughout the winter. The disconnect helps preserve the battery between trickle charges.

Did you have the battery checked out ? Also if you had any parameters that you changed on the chip you will lose them every time you disconnect the battery .

Back