BB turbo's - Pro's vs. Con's

Not Avg 6

I'm thinking about converting my PT70GTQ to a BB version after seeing a post by Jack. I don't really have any spool up issues but also no experience with BB turbos. Advantages and disadvantages, what do you think?

PROs
faster spool
allows use of bigger turbos on "street" cars
allows use of lower stall
more durable than "regular" bearing cartridge
ummm.... did i mention faster spool

CONs

PRICE
and some brands you have to run H2O kit [but this should make them more durable than std bearing catridge]
ummmm... did i mention price

besides price i would say NO Cons to BB turbos:eek: :D
and really you pay for what you get.... better to save and buy a BB. IMO:cool:

PROs
faster spool
allows use of bigger turbos on "street" cars
allows use of lower stall
more durable than "regular" bearing cartridge
ummm.... did i mention faster spool

CONs

PRICE
and some brands you have to run H2O kit [but this should make them more durable than std bearing catridge]
ummmm... did i mention price

besides price i would say NO Cons to BB turbos:eek: :D
and really you pay for what you get.... better to save and buy a BB. IMO:cool:

Only other CON is some units CAN Not be rebuilt. Other then a new CHRA.

Only other CON is some units CAN Not be rebuilt. Other then a new CHRA.

Thats the kicker right there. Any Garrett CHRA is NOT rebuildable (AFAIK). ITS BB turbos CAN be rebuilt. Turbonitics I am not sure about.

On a street car BB turbo really help with part throttle performance & spool up. It beats a regulor turbo hands down, it can be a night & day diff on some size turbo's ( depending on your combo).

Jess

Talked to Jack yesterday and he gave me some good things to think about. Weighing my options on this years GN budget. By the way Jack said the Turbonetics is doing the conversions and they will be rebuildable.

Talked to Jack yesterday and he gave me some good things to think about. Weighing my options on this years GN budget. By the way Jack said the Turbonetics is doing the conversions and they will be rebuildable.

Turbonetics have always been rebuildable. We have been rebuilding them for quite some time now. The ITS's are easily done as well.