Beat by an STI

That is exactly what happened! I had boost trying to catch up to him and then he slows down to 30 to go from a roll. I had no boost at all when I punched it.

Next time ride the brake while giving it gas to maintain your roll speed but build boost at the same time...do it right and you'll shoot off like a rocket from a roll :biggrin:

ran all my cars for years with the stock turbo (86 to 93/94).. I guess its about the same thing today.. some people can make a lot of power with small parts while others have all the cool guy parts and can't do squat. oh well.. STI's KICK ASS !!! :cool:

Yep, I knew it would come to this....excuses...:eek:
Flaco and Meanchicken, are you guys aware that the alky cools the intake air temps? More boost, more alky, simple as that. I have ran a stocker at 24psi repeatedly and it was faster at 24psi than 17-18psi. No Alky just race fuel 110 oct. Daily driven low 12 sec. car. If I had alky way back then 24-26 psi would have been the normal setting like it is today. If you're so worried about it being old and worn, why are you using more than stock boost and racing it anyway?:confused: Don't worry, he "owned" you and I'm sure their on a forum making fun of "you" as I type this...:biggrin:
Grumpy how much boost do you guys pump through Melissa motor on the regular?;)

ran all my cars for years with the stock turbo (86 to 93/94).. I guess its about the same thing today.. some people can make a lot of power with small parts while others have all the cool guy parts and can't do squat. oh well.. STI's KICK ASS !!! :cool:

Damn I'm with the Grump on this one. :eek: :D I bought the White T with a stock Turbo, IC,. etc to see what I could do with it. Well at 22 psi and 25 deg timing, a little head porting, 2.5 DP and 3" ATR crossflow and I'm able to be a street terror around here. I did have a new M5 beat me but not after I scared the hell out of him and he gave me the thumbs up and the STI ( yes it was modded ) that was following was no where to be found.

Granted I run the car on E-85 but small parts can go fast.

Stock turbo likes timing. The white car is faster than the first GN I bought with all the big parts on it ..LOL

And I drove the White car daily for 3 years on E-85. Fun stuff :D

Next time ride the brake while giving it gas to maintain your roll speed but build boost at the same time...do it right and you'll shoot off like a rocket from a roll :biggrin:

Yep works great especially on a stock turbo car :)

Guys, guys, guys...I don't think anyone is dissagreeing with you that it can be done and has been done by many.

Even I was beating up on STi's ...including modded ones...and meaner cars while I was still running my stock turbo, etc. Just go back and gander through my Kill Section posts over the last couple years. I agree!

All I'm saying...is read and comprehend Flaco's story.
He can beat this STi hands down....we all agree...but Mr. STi set it up perfectly and was able to get out on Flaco nose to bumper as a result. The race was over before Flaco could reel it back in.

Flaco and Meanchicken, are you guys aware that the alky cools the intake air temps? More boost, more alky, simple as that. I have ran a stocker at 24psi repeatedly and it was faster at 24psi than 17-18psi. No Alky just race fuel 110 oct. Daily driven low 12 sec. car. If I had alky way back then 24-26 psi would have been the normal setting like it is today. If you're so worried about it being old and worn, why are you using more than stock boost and racing it anyway?:confused: Don't worry, he "owned" you and I'm sure their on a forum making fun of "you" as I type this...:biggrin:

Oh, who cares if someones having fun on another forum...or even here. Words is words. Have you seen some of the fun I've had in this forum at the expense of many a victim?:biggrin:
Time for some folks to just learn how to swallow pride....sometimes it helps to drink Milk with it.
I personally commend Flaco for posting that his first race was an unfortunate "killed" story.

Yes...fully aware of what Alky does.
Also fully aware that a tiny little turbo spinning 10's of thousands of RPM faster than a larger turbo will generate a lot more heat and even at a lower boost setting.

I also know that if we were all running around pumping 24psi through a stock turbo all day long 7 days a week, there would be a lot more blown head gasket and leaky turbo seal stories being posted.

Now let me ask you this.
Not an excuse...just wondering....how many of you are running the cheap yet over priced (currently $3.34/gal and rising courtesy of BP) California 91 Octane power robbing additive loaded Gasoline we are running out here under the protection of your Alky systems? Just asking for honest expert opinions...not excuse making...:tongue:
Even with the Alky on, do you think your less regulated 93 Octane gives you a better shot at sustaining reliable operation at that 24psi level than us poor suckers over here who are at the mercy of the tree huggers and their liberal backed agenda?:mad:

There are times of the year, where even the 91 octane out here aint 91 octane (it gets as low as 89 at the pump) because they change formulations from winter to summer in order to save the planet from bursting into flames next week.:rolleyes:

STI's do kick ass. I love my GN and I love my STI. The Scoobie is a turbocharged, flat 4, with 305hp from the factory. Throw some blizzaks on in the winter and you'd think it was a Polaris; that much horsepower in the snow tends to be a lot of fun. Driver controlled center differential, six speed manual, and it hauls the family and all of our gear. I'd be a little scared if I came up against a GN on the road -- guess I'd just have to find a curvy road.

I think it would be hard to kill an STI with a stock GN turbo. You might get him, but kill is a little strong.

No excuses. Read my posts. It's all there I came to do battle and was not ready. Exactly what are my excuses?

excuse: to serve as a reason or cause or justification of;;)
Now, review all of the statements above that fit the definition. Not just yours. Don't take it to heart, but some of the things said above are just not the real reason he beat you. Buying a turbo, converter and intercooler will not provide you with a win. You can beat him with a stock turbo, intercooler, and alky. Takes tuning and the guts to push the combo. I have faith in you on the rematch.

excuse: to serve as a reason or cause or justification of;;)
Now, review all of the statements above that fit the definition. Not just yours. Don't take it to heart, but some of the things said above are just not the real reason he beat you. Buying a turbo, converter and intercooler will not provide you with a win. You can beat him with a stock turbo, intercooler, and alky. Takes tuning and the guts to push the combo. I have faith in you on the rematch.

hahaha ok smart as* I know the definition of it;) . I cant beat him right now, His car just happends to be faster than mine. As far as pushing the combo not gonna happen. I don't take losing as worst thing in the world. I don't want to be fixing stuff all the time.

wheres lou!!! i want to hear what hes got to say about flaco getting spanked :biggrin:

STI's do kick ass. I love my GN and I love my STI. The Scoobie is a turbocharged, flat 4, with 305hp from the factory. Throw some blizzaks on in the winter and you'd think it was a Polaris; that much horsepower in the snow tends to be a lot of fun. Driver controlled center differential, six speed manual, and it hauls the family and all of our gear. I'd be a little scared if I came up against a GN on the road -- guess I'd just have to find a curvy road.

I think it would be hard to kill an STI with a stock GN turbo. You might get him, but kill is a little strong.

The STi's are impressive from the factory. The guy I bought my GN from replaced it with an STi.

I like the Mitsu EVO's too.

Hmm i say you need to run him from a dig and manually shift at about 45-4700rpm..It seems to not make sense cause hes AWD but STIs dont seem to launch very well (at least the ones ive seen) I nosed one out i know his exhaust at minimum wasnt stock...I holeshoted him (twice ) he came around me but by the top of second i was right back next to him and my 106,000 mile stock turbo was givin him h@ll at stock boost no alky just 94 octane sunoco!!!!

Hmm i say you need to run him from a dig and manually shift at about 45-4700rpm..It seems to not make sense cause hes AWD but STIs dont seem to launch very well (at least the ones ive seen) I nosed one out i know his exhaust at minimum wasnt stock...I holeshoted him (twice ) he came around me but by the top of second i was right back next to him and my 106,000 mile stock turbo was givin him h@ll at stock boost no alky just 94 octane sunoco!!!!

Well thats nice, video would be good to back up your claim.

wheres lou!!! i want to hear what hes got to say about flaco getting spanked :biggrin:

Lou does not need to waste his time responding he warned me this would happen.

Ha!!! well this happened on the street, didnt know the guy, and i dont think it would have been smart to use my camera phone to video the race while steering and shifting gears.. :rolleyes: But it did happen and i did almost get whooped up on i beat him by a bumper give or take..twice..its not like im claiming to have blown his doors off...but then again my car burns rubber when i spool the turbo lol!!:biggrin:

Ha!!! well this happened on the street, didnt know the guy, and i dont think it would have been smart to use my camera phone to video the race while steering and shifting gears.. :rolleyes: But it did happen and i did almost get whooped up on i beat him by a bumper give or take..twice..its not like im claiming to have blown his doors off...but then again my car burns rubber when i spool the turbo lol!!:biggrin:

Good for you big guy:rolleyes:

Al do you remember the whipping you got after showing up 10 min.late to work. Thats whats in store for Flaco & this embarrassment. Next visit to the shop the car is getting impounded till such time that it's up to standards. That punk with the STI will also be history. if you remember I just was released for the hospital & wanted to get his car finished & back to him till I recuperated. Well I'm back up to speed & I want that piece of a Buick back to finish the job. Meanwhile If I read about any more of this vile crap till such time there will be dire consequence's.

It's a good learning experience, you need to test what you got to see what it needs. Look into that spool issue, that's not right at all.

But, what does having an old turbo have to do with anything, especially some made up boost # like 20psi, why not 18 or 22? Have you probed the actual turbo output psi vs intake psi, then compared it to the compressor map to come to this conclusion?

Saying it has 98k miles means jack, does it have shaft play, is it blowing oil out the seal etc? If it's tight, then it can fight. I have a 2nd 91 Talon with 144k on the stock turbo and I beat the hell out of it and the turbo is still tight (and much smaller than our stock 52mm turbo).

Backpressure is your enemy here, have Turbolou free up whatever he can, and you afford, then have some fun.:cool:

Al do you remember the whipping you got after showing up 10 min.late to work. Thats whats in store for Flaco & this embarrassment. Next visit to the shop the car is getting impounded till such time that it's up to standards. That punk with the STI will also be history. if you remember I just was released for the hospital & wanted to get his car finished & back to him till I recuperated. Well I'm back up to speed & I want that piece of a Buick back to finish the job. Meanwhile If I read about any more of this vile crap till such time there will be dire consequence's.

Ah crap...Im gonna bring my girl, you seem to be nice when she's around.

Be careful some GNs including mine handle very well at speed and the little STI that did a fly by into a corner found that out when I went back around him in the corner... he-he Of course he wanted nothing to do with me in a straight line before said corner. having said that .. no snow for the GN, STI wins hands down :D

Oh and my White car has a stock turbo and I have no probs with any decently modded STI around here. Maybe because they think its just a regular Regal or they can't read...LOL

22psi @ 25 degrees timing MMM I bet Lou has seen this car before I took it back to Texas where it belongs .:tongue:

Attachments

• whitet.jpg
    whitet.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 156