Beat by an STI

Flaco

N/A
Ok so last night I was pretty much stalking a co worker because I wanted to run against his Sti. I was chatting with another coworker killing some 30 min before they got off work. Anywho it's about 1 am and I see him leave the parking lot and I creep up behind him. We get on a one way back road thats about a mile long or so and we line up as we are rolling. He said lets do it from a roll, I said fine.

We both slow down to about 30 and punch it. I saw him jump ahead a lil as my Buick built the boost, But I knew I already lost. My torque converter and stock tubro did me in and I could not catch him. I stayed at his rear bumper the whole time. We only did one run since my Alky was low from a couple of runs I did while practicing my launch earlier in the day. His car from what I know has a Tune and did a dyno run of a little over 300 Hp and Torque. Even though I lost i'm pretty happy with the cars performance. Just need a few things here and there. I'm plotting my revenge as it will quick but very violent.

I'm also gonna deal with jokes about my loss at work for the next few weeks. Losing is very humbling..:redface:

Now all thats left is to take a beating from Pappa Lou.. :frown:

At least you tried,
i avoid going from a roll at all costs.
BTW next time you call some one out at least have a full tank of ALKY.:biggrin:

Hey Flaco.
He got out on you while your tranny figured out what gear to get in and your stock turbo started to exhale.

Where's Papa Lou got you running your boost at?
If he gives you permission to do so, you might be able to get away with more boost.

Spoolfool2 is a good guy to tune with also. He has Papa Lou's seal of approval.:biggrin:

Oh...and schedule a rematch from a dig and then build a little bit of brake boost before you launch.

nothing wrong with a stock turbo an intercooler.. Then add alky to the mix .. Hell you should have killed him. Oh I don't do "roll's" :rolleyes: practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice :p

Hey Flaco.
He got out on you while your tranny figured out what gear to get in and your stock turbo started to exhale.

Where's Papa Lou got you running your boost at?
If he gives you permission to do so, you might be able to get away with more boost.

Spoolfool2 is a good guy to tune with also. He has Papa Lou's seal of approval.:biggrin:

Oh...and schedule a rematch from a dig and then build a little bit of brake boost before you launch.

Mr STI is down for another run and told me to come find him when I think im ready.....arrogant As*. :D My boost is at 20 PSI but the stock turbo aint cutting it, time for a new one.

nothing wrong with a stock turbo an intercooler.. Then add alky to the mix .. Hell you should have killed him. Oh I don't do "roll's" :rolleyes: practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice :p

He's got a very quick car, he just built his boost way faster than me and that's all he needed.

Why have alky and not use it :confused:

I did use it for one run. As stated in my original post, I was running low after doing a couple runs prior to the race.

20 psi...You' re the first Alky car I've seen run that low. Crank it up man. Shame on you...I hope you have drag radials if you go from a dig.

Why? Going from a roll is better than from a dead stop unless you like smoking your tires. You guys really need to learn how to brake boost.... ;)

What he said drag the brake a lil and build some boost before you go.

20 psi...You' re the first Alky car I've seen run that low. Crank it up man. Shame on you...I hope you have drag radials if you go from a dig.

Well shame on me then. I will not crank up the boost. The Turbo is as old as the car and has over 98K on it. Turning it up would be stupid and pointless.:tongue:

Well shame on me then. I will not crank up the boost. The Turbo is as old as the car and has over 98K on it. Turning it up would be stupid and pointless.:tongue:

Agreed.
Aside form that, the stock turbo's run out of efficiency at about 17-18 psi anyway. You'll just burn-up the little guy trying to make 20 psi with it for any length of time.

Agreed.
Aside form that, the stock turbo's run out of efficiency at about 17-18 psi anyway. You'll just burn-up the little guy trying to make 20 psi with it for any length of time.

^^^this is true.... my question to you would be why is it taking you sooo long to spin the STOCK turbo??? those things are almost insta spool.... which leads me to think your tune down low may be a little rich..... just a thought:confused:

^^^this is true.... my question to you would be why is it taking you sooo long to spin the STOCK turbo??? those things are almost insta spool.... which leads me to think your tune down low may be a little rich..... just a thought:confused:

I think that it's more of a relative thing...
The STi was already in a favorable RPM range and with his manual gear box, was able to keep his turbo spooled up a tad at his chosen 30mph roll start. Perfect conditions for him to basically get the jump on Flaco.

Flaco on the other hand was probably cruising along at 30mph...possibly already in third gear or on the verge of it, and with no spool on at all.

So when they hit it...the STi was more like hitting an on switch and Flaco was kinda like turning up a volume knob.

It'd be enough time for the STi to get the jump as described.

Agreed.
You'll just burn-up the little guy trying to make 20 psi with it for any length of time.

ok if you say so .. BUT maybe look at all the stocks cars that ran in the 11s when aftermarket parts were non existent.

ok if you say so .. BUT maybe look at all the stocks cars that ran in the 11s when aftermarket parts were non existent.

Yes...yes...I've read all about the olden days ;)

But did ya'll keep it those stock turbo's set to huff at 21-24 psi for reliable every day driving through a cat, stock down pipe and mufflers, or was it set there just for those glory passes down the 1/4 mile?

That's what I'm talking about when I say "...any length of time".

I'm no expert, but speaking just from my personal experience...
During Directscan tuning sessions with one of my local pro's, pushing air out of a stock turbo and through a cat, stock down pipe and mufflers, we took my stock turbo and down pipe, etc. up to 19-20 psi one psi at a time on alky and 91 octane. We didn't notice any real gains in the data logs over 17psi; Probably because the stock turbo was working so hard in that set-up that it was generating more heat than useful boost, so we took it back down to 17psi and that's where I left it until the turbo gave up it's ghost a few months later.

Boost is not a measurement of power, it's a measurement of your systems ability to move air efficiently against the resistance to air flow in your system with the goal of creating more power without generating too much heat.

The small OE turbo has to work a lot harder at 20psi than a larger turbo would and it's generating a lot more heat in the process. That's also why a big turbo at 16 psi on a system that breaths will kick the stew out of a small turbo on a restrictive system at 20+psi.

Right?:D

ran all my cars for years with the stock turbo (86 to 93/94).. I guess its about the same thing today.. some people can make a lot of power with small parts while others have all the cool guy parts and can't do squat. oh well.. STI's KICK ASS !!! :cool:

ran all my cars for years with the stock turbo (86 to 93/94).. I guess its about the same thing today.. some people can make a lot of power with small parts while others have all the cool guy parts and can't do squat. oh well.. STI's KICK ASS !!! :cool:

Sure there are folks who have a knack for squeezing more power out of basic combo's than others.
...and some prefer to play it safe....for example...build for a high 10, but keep it in the mid/high 11's for longevity sake....

I think it's also fair to say that all those small OE parts have a lot more wear and tear on them now than they did back in the day, so keeping them running reliably takes a bit more TLC.

Personally...I drive 50+ miles a day in my GN and I don't pamper it by any stretch. I'm one of those high stress users.
All that considered...I notice that my GN tends to stay together much better than most and it's cuz I run my combo with lots of safety margin.

I'll take it to the track one of these days (current goal is May 29th :D) and track tune it to get it mor lean and mean, but as soon as those runs are over, I'll detune for my everyday use and just enjoy being a high 11 second street killer.

Yeah back then the turbos had very low mileage. I mean how much power can a 23 year old turbo with 98k under it belt really produce? Show me a buick on here with 98k on it, a mild build beat an STI from a roll with no boost built at all and a turbo that worn out. I just confirmed My buddys Sti has his TQ at 370.

My torque converter is unknown and the wrong one. I cant even do a burn out froma dead stop. I have no idea what the previous owner did to it.

I think that it's more of a relative thing...
The STi was already in a favorable RPM range and with his manual gear box, was able to keep his turbo spooled up a tad at his chosen 30mph roll start. Perfect conditions for him to basically get the jump on Flaco.

Flaco on the other hand was probably cruising along at 30mph...possibly already in third gear or on the verge of it, and with no spool on at all.

So when they hit it...the STi was more like hitting an on switch and Flaco was kinda like turning up a volume knob.

It'd be enough time for the STi to get the jump as described.

That is exactly what happened! I had boost trying to catch up to him and then he slows down to 30 to go from a roll. I had no boost at all when I punched it.