You can type here any text you want

BeeHive coil springs

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

struckby

hello everyone,
a good friend of mine from this site told me that alot of you have gotten some really good results from using BeeHive style valve springs. I have used alot of tips,advice and parts from this board so I once again ask for your help. I am not familiar enough in the area of valvesprings so this is where I need your help. My cylinder heads(Trick Flow Track Heats,read Ford) require this spring. CompCam part number 986-16 and here are the specs.
OD= 1.430
Coil Bind=1.150
Rate=296
ID outer spring=1.070
ID inner spring=.697

my camshaft has a max lift of ~ 565i and 575e.

Any help appreciated.
Edward

Is your cam a roller or flat tappet? We can only use the beehives on roller cams, too much pressure for flat tappets. I would asume that's the case for very flat tappet but I may be wrong. You question isn't really clear though. Are you worried that you have too much lift for these springs? Or coil bind? I would give Comp a call and ask their recommendation.

yes my cam is a roller cam. I just don't know how to select the new spring b/c I don't know which specifications to "shop" by I guess you could say. Any other help appreciated.
Edward

you need to know the lift at the valve to find out if you will reach coil bind, though I've been told that beehives are more tollerant of that. You also need to check with the cam manufacturer as to the spring pressures needed on the seat and over the nose. These can be adjusted somewhat by changing the install height. With those Al Ford heads you will need spring locators to keep the springs from digging in and to keep them from walking in the pockets. I know Hor Rod or Car Craft has done a set of Beehives on a Ford head but don't remember when or which. Give us ALL the infomation you have on your cam, valves, and rockers and we might be able to help you, short of that info.... we'll just be guessing.

Back