You can type here any text you want

Beehive installed height for 215/220 roller

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gteatr6

Ok, is 1.691 to tight for full throttle beehive springs? The machinist set my stock ported heads and that is the height he used. It comes out to be 150lbs seat pressure and 312 open. I haven't paid him yet because he was just supposed to cut down the guides, but did a full valve job, milled the heads, used spring locators, and installed the springs. He now wants 650.00!
Anyway, is that height ok? Oh, I'm not paying the 650 either.

Ok, is 1.691 to tight for full throttle beehive springs? The machinist set my stock ported heads and that is the height he used. It comes out to be 150lbs seat pressure and 312 open. I haven't paid him yet because he was just supposed to cut down the guides, but did a full valve job, milled the heads, used spring locators, and installed the springs. He now wants 650.00!
Anyway, is that height ok? Oh, I'm not paying the 650 either.

Oh, to make things clear, I have not picked the heads up. He did all the machine work without calling me to approve. The bill was supposed to be 125. I got the phone call today and he said the heads were done. He is 3 weeks late and 525 dollars over what we agreed on. All I wanted was the valve guides cut down and machined for seals.:mad:

Well I got my heads back today after we came to an agreement. I looked up the specs for the pac 1218 springs (he assumed they were comp 26915) and at 1.690 installed height, I am at 164lbs at the seat closed. If I am doing my math correct, I am then only .020 away from coil bind(1.140 for the pac 1218 springs). The open rate comes out to be 330lbs. The cam has a .517/.530 lift. Is this to much pressure and to close to coil bind?

gteatr6 said:
Well I got my heads back today after we came to an agreement. I looked up the specs for the pac 1218 springs (he assumed they were comp 26915) and at 1.690 installed height, I am at 164lbs at the seat closed. If I am doing my math correct, I am then only .020 away from coil bind(1.140 for the pac 1218 springs). The open rate comes out to be 330lbs. The cam has a .517/.530 lift. Is this to much pressure and to close to coil bind?

No and no. He shouldt need to assume anything if he had a matched set of springs. He could have checked for coil bind height by binding one and measuring. He also could have measured the spring at various heights and known the pressures. The springs vary in each
set and should be shimmed as needed

No and no. He shouldt need to assume anything if he had a matched set of springs. He could have checked for coil bind height by binding one and measuring. He also could have measured the spring at various heights and known the pressures. The springs vary in each
set and should be shimmed as needed

I have been double checking for the past hr or so. Looks like the installed height without shims on my tightest clearance is 1.6925. That was spring pad to bottom of the retainer. I then measured the spring locator and it was .025, so the installed height is 1.690. Looks like he turned down every locator to keep the 1.690. I already have + 50 locks, so not much I can do to change the install height unless I machine the pockets. So do you think I'll be ok running these? The other question I have is what is the stock thickness of a 8445 head. I want to check that because he milled them and they were surfaced once already.

Back