Benefit of a dyno?

GNRick

Retired member
I found a mechanic near me with a dyno. Is he also supposed to use a wide band O2 sensor in the exhaust? Besides HP and torque, what else would I learn? Wrong cam? Wrong torque converter? I have a TT chip. Thanks!

Well a dyno can give you a false sense of what you have... Use it as a baseline more than fact... Espically if the dyno owner is not fimilar with TR's and how his dyno equates to track times...

It can give you a good read out of your power band and help you see where you need improvement!

Since you have a TT chip you can play with your timing and AFR. The Wide Band sensor gets stuck in the exhaust pipe and reads AFR.

Point is that messing with the chips settings while the car is on a dyne, you will know if the more or less gives ya more or less power

I'll check and see what version of Eric's chip I have. So ideally I guess I would want to adjust the chip settings for AFR and maybe timing while the car is being run on the dyno, like with a hand held scan tool. In reality, would the car have to be brought back down to an idle, changes made to the chip, then run at WOT again on the dyno to see if there is an improvement?

The car would have to be shut down while the changes are being made because the changes in AFR and timing are done with the key-on, engine-off. In the TT chip it is done with a certain combination of pumps to the gas pedal - you will need the manual that came with the chip to get it right.

First use a scan tool to make sure your O2's are about right and that you have no knock. Then start raising the boost making sure you do not knock. When you get up to the desired boost level and you are not knocking, try adding some timing - try leaning it out a bit maybe by adding some more boost or in the chip - see how things go. Then take it to the dyno after you have it close. Get a base line and then see if more timing helps - the dyno will tell you if it helps.

Ask the dyno guy if his dyno has a constant load capability.
Will allow for more info to be gathered.

The dyno provides a safe environment to compare the changes you make with AFRs and timing for maximum performance...somethings you just cant do on the street....granted the ultimate test would be your 00mph at the end of the quarter. All the big race teams rely on dynos to fine tune there engines to peak torque. A big plus for stand alone guys is that they can tune every single cell that matters. I never felt the importance of a dyno untill i went to EFI university and learned some things about tuning.

I think the gold standard would be Dyno+ track...remember also you can pretty much simulate a 1/4 run on some dynoes (mustang dynos for example)...allot of mustang dyno owners told me that their runs were within a tenth of difference compared to track...thats massive...your safe and people are safe...you can tinker with the car as much as you want and go again for another run on the dyno no problem no rush. I just did 8 pulls on a mustang yesterday with Disco stu (John). he took his time to perfect the tune without any rush.

I will be making a thread shortly about it.

Besides HP and torque, what else would I learn? Wrong cam? Wrong torque converter? I have a TT chip. Thanks!
simple ,NOTHING :eek: ,even your HP and torque will be off BIG TIME , our turbo Buicks do not do well on the dyno , you may get some ideas when you way off with your tune but dyno does NOT load our cars hard enough , you will run fat on the dyno and thin at the track , your converter slip will kill your HP /torque # and so on , the more moded your motor the warse it's going to get , just my 2 cents :cool:....yet it's fun , even more when next guy is some Mustang/rustand Shelby/Cobra or so /super/junk/charged with all possible upgrades /my pony is fast ...ups...idiot ...making 200HP less on the same dyno ,I will go again just for that !

The dyno provides a safe environment to compare the changes you make with AFRs and timing for maximum performance...somethings you just cant do on the street....granted the ultimate test would be your 00mph at the end of the quarter. All the big race teams rely on dynos to fine tune there engines to peak torque. A big plus for stand alone guys is that they can tune every single cell that matters. I never felt the importance of a dyno untill i went to EFI university and learned some things about tuning.

I think the gold standard would be Dyno+ track...remember also you can pretty much simulate a 1/4 run on some dynoes (mustang dynos for example)...allot of mustang dyno owners told me that their runs were within a tenth of difference compared to track...thats massive...your safe and people are safe...you can tinker with the car as much as you want and go again for another run on the dyno no problem no rush. I just did 8 pulls on a mustang yesterday with Disco stu (John). he took his time to perfect the tune without any rush.

I will be making a thread shortly about it.

simple ,NOTHING :eek: ,even your HP and torque will be off BIG TIME , our turbo Buicks do not do well on the dyno , you may get some ideas when you way off with your tune but dyno does NOT load our cars hard enough , you will run fat on the dyno and thin at the track , your converter slip will kill your HP /torque # and so on , the more moded your motor the warse it's going to get , just my 2 cents :cool:....yet it's fun , even more when next guy is some Mustang/rustand Shelby/Cobra or so /super/junk/charged with all possible upgrades /my pony is fast ...ups...idiot ...making 200HP less on the same dyno ,I will go again just for that !

WOW:eek: You two are polar opposites! Who should I believe?

Imho

Dynos are great tools for seeing and recording the effects of changes, and different parts on your motor. There is a lot to be learned here. It can be some of the cheapest horse power to be had, if you understand the data, and what the car wants.

However, just because you get the car tuned properly on the dyno, does'nt mean that it'll be tuned properly on the street or strip. The last time that I tuned my GN at the dyno, as soon as I left, the car was lean on the street. I had to add 7.5% of fuel to get back to the same AF ratio that I had on the dyno.

Be safe with the tune, and happy spooling:) .

Mike B.

WOW:eek: You two are polar opposites! Who should I believe?

Well, automatic cars do bad in general on dynos (more divetraine loss). However, on the track its a different story. So I dont see why the GN is a special case. You should cool your converter with a fan to prevent slippage.

When you compare dyno numbers, you are comparing baseline to the end product (of the same car) to see if your tune is improving things or not. I find it hard to believe that if your making more power than before on the dyno then your trapping less on the track.

And yes to your question about changing AFRs and timing and then WOT the car.

I can explain it to you further. But it will take too long. You can PM me if you have questions. I am no expert since I dont have a dyno and it takes real life practice to perfect things. I have some book knowledge and my experiences with dynos when I took my cars.

The argument that a dyno is useless I will not respond to since its futile. But, take a look at NASCAR teams and other big racing companies and developers. They ALL have dynos. Some of them would have 5 or 6 in one facility. They must be doing something right. Or they just like to throw away $60k+ a piece for nothing I guess.

Well a dyno can give you a false sense of what you have... Use it as a baseline more than fact... Espically if the dyno owner is not fimilar with TR's and how his dyno equates to track times...

It can give you a good read out of your power band and help you see where you need improvement!

Thats right...compare to your baseline.