You can type here any text you want

Best Brake Pads

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

What are the best type of brake pads?

• OE Brake Pads

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Ceramic

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Metallic

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Aramid Fiber

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
I am using stock rotors with Performance Friction carbon Metallic Z-rated series pads. I have had very good luck so far. better stopping power than stock, no noise, and low brake dust.

Question for ya, do you know what OE brake pads are made of?? Most of todays vehicles come with ceramic pads. Kind of a reduntant pole.

Are actual oem still available. Most current delco pads we use at our dealer are not the same material as factory stuff. wonder if its the same for these cars.

I think the OE are semi-metallic.

Different part number now but I think they still say semi-metallic on them but the last set I bought was a few years ago.

I'm not sure what the OE 80's pads were I guess but I do know the OE C5 Vette pads are ceramic. I'm running them on my car now.

Question for ya, do you know what OE brake pads are made of?? Most of todays vehicles come with ceramic pads. Kind of a reduntant pole.

That may be true but what type of brake pads did 87 GN's come with? Either way i guess i should have said OE Ceramic/ metallic. Aftermarket ceramic/metallic.

HAWK brake pads are Great for high performance use!!

By far THE BEST!! Just be sure not to get the soft ones for normal driving though, I went through a set in 6 months!:eek: I think they have two different pads, one for performance and one for street.

Ensure you follow to the letter the Hawk bedding procedure for the new pads as well!

Is that pretty much just be sure to clean the rotors with brake clean, then make a few stops from 30mph or something like that? I did that with mine. Still tore them up pretty fast. They stopped like crazy with the hydroboost behind them, almost dangerously crazy!

Same here but I do see some dust.

Love the Z-rated the best so far as well on my GN. There is some dust but much less than normal semi-metallic. Ceramics are great for no dust but I hated the soft feedback feel thru the pedal and massive brake fade at high speed. But to be fair, my rotors were probably glazed as well.

Incredibly even with glazed rotors the Z's pull down quite well. I can't wait to try new pads with new rotors and bedded properly. Finally may be able to lock up the brakes on this beast.:eek:

Anyone have a comparison between CF Z-rated and Hawks? Both seem to be top notch.

Okay, just for curiousity I went ahead and ordered the Hawk HPS pads. I'll see how they compare to the PF Z-rated. I'm using a new rotor to be sure they are freshly bedded with only the Hawk material.

Okay, just for curiousity I went ahead and ordered the Hawk HPS pads. I'll see how they compare to the PF Z-rated. I'm using a new rotor to be sure they are freshly bedded with only the Hawk material.

TurboSlacker - How did the Hawk HPS pads work?

I had bought some brakes from Praise Dyno (it was a company advertised in Kirban's newsletter) some time ago. They were very pricey, about $90, 8 years ago. They were fantastic. They even made my passenger seat go foward when I stopped hard. Kind of scary having good brakes on the GN. Then I went with Autozone Peformance Friction pads. Was very surprised by them. Not as good as the Praise Dyno ones, but for an Autozone available part, they worked very well. Searched for Praise Dyno again, they changed their name, and bought the front pads from them, last year. Was not to happy with them. Definitely not the same pads as the first ones. I even like the Performance Friction ones better than my current ones.
Next time I think I'll go with the HPS (High Performance Street) Hawk pads. Or the HP Plus:eek:

Back