best engine oil

I am always searching for for new lubrication products. I think I have tried many of the popular ones out there. I also have spoken to engine builders to get dyno results and more importantly bearing life using different oils (some oils will give you great results on the dyno but little protection on the bearings). I started using LAT racing oil about six months ago and have excellent results. I will be disassembling my engine soon and will check the bearings. Based on my conversations with engine builders and racers, I expect the results to be good. I can get a discount if anyone would like to try the products but keep in mind these are pricey products.
Jeff
Lube A Tech - Racing & Gear Oils
Which weight are you using, Jeff?

So what is the oil they had been using prior to Amsoil? I am sure other mechanics will have horror stories about that oil as well. From my experiences and reading posts from many others, it seems to me that around 99% of the time, the oil is NOT to blame for a failure. Unless of course, one selected the wrong viscosity, one that doesn't have the added zddp, etc. That's just my opinion. But I will see your bet and raise you 5 quarts of amsoil.:biggrin:

I agree with you completely that other mechanics *probably* have had bad experiencees with just about every oil for one reason or another. For that matter this comparison is just like any other, some people have good results with Brand A and some have good results with Brand B. In this case, the failures occured many years before the ZDDP was an issue. I *will* get in touch with my mechanic friend *this week* and get him to reiterate the story to me.

As far as raising me 5 qts of Amsoil - that's not a bet, that's a threat! :biggrin:

You know there is a a TON of miles put on cars and raced with just plain ole dino oil.
Funny thing I saw a 8 sec turbo mod motor mustang at the track a while back and he had all exotic plumbing, laptop and all the crazy expensive stuff. And I asked him what oil he was running and he said Castrol GTX just plain ole Castrol.
He went on to say he actually had amsoil give him some oil to use and he saw no diference in wear between the 2 at the end of season tear down.
Im not saying that Castrol is the best out there, but the synthetics are a bit overated in my eyes... not all situations but some.

It is best if you are going to mix weights of oil, ie: 10-30- and a 20-50, it is
best to stay with the same brand brand of oil, that is not to mix 10-30 Valv.
VR1 and 20-50 Castrol, as the additive packages are different and could cause a conflict with each other. And Valv. VR1 is a dino oil. Another synthetic oil that is very good is Alisyn oils, if one were to use a synthetic I would give them a look.

Ron

run what your engine builder tells u to run. he is the one that is going to warrenty it if something happens.

Yesssss!!

My machine shop/engine builder likes the Valvoline "not street legal formula" and Lucas additive. I use that in my modded engines.

Stock engine cars/trucks that I change oil in, I use Rotella-T. Use a thing of Lucas if they click too much for your taste.

ElectraJim

hey thats just my 2 cents. my builder has me running Valvoline "not street legal formula" 20-50w and a bottle of comps additive.

i'd stay away from the lucas additive. you ever seen how bad that crap foams up when it gets thrown around inside a motor? :eek:

Zinc and Phosphorus are your friend......find oil with lots of both....older shell rotella had a decent amount....not so much anymore....;)

As a side note on the diesel oils, I can not speak on the Rotella, but on DELO
oils, they do not make the old DELO in qts. and gal. anymore, it is only available in bulk only, they have the new DELO LE oils for sale only for the new diesel trucks and it is the new CJ-SM oils which we need to stay away, far away from, if you do use 15-40 DELO, look to see if they have any older jugs around and buy it, stay away from the LE oils, LE= low emission oil.

Ron

Joe gibbs oil hot rod oil is the best out there IMO. If you are spending the money for Amsoil, RP, Redline, etc,etc.

Joe Gibbs Driven - Training Center - Home

Paul Vanderly who built nascar engines for Dale E, etc in the 80's. He was also selected by Pontiac motor division to build their race engines for the old iron duke fiero race cars, designed the heads that Brodix currently sell, etc.
He swears by it and he went through cam wiping about 3years ago do to other oild reformulating and has not had a problem since the swap to JGRO.

Though it does state this:
Can I run Joe Gibbs Driven oil in my high performance street car?

No. Joe Gibbs Driven Racing Oil features additives that can harm your high performance street car’s emission control equipment. Joe Gibbs Driven Hot Rod Oil is designed for street driven engines with carburetors. Joe Gibbs Driven Racing Oil is designed for racing applications only.

I am sure thay are talking about the cat convertor .