Best new time....12.74 @ 106

Black Box

Out cruisin'.
Went to LVD yesterday and got a best new time out of the GN, thought I'd share the info.

1st run: 13.69@ 105, 2.49 60', 8psi launch, 18psi in the tires. Discovered that Hoosiers need a good burnout and lower air pressure to make them hook :eek:

2nd run was my best, when I ran the 12.74 @ 106, 1.89 60'. Healthy burnout, 8psi launch, 14psi in the tires.

3rd run: 12.88 @ 106, 2.04 60', 14psi in the tires, 5psi launch, a little spinning off the line.

Ran 21psi on Sunoco 94 w/alky, on Hoosier QT DOT's (not pros), no front swaybar, C-E Adj shocks at 70/30 front, 50/50 rear, 20psi RS airbag, 5psi LS airbag, TCC locked in 2nd & 3rd gear.

Of course I took the amp & subs, spare tire & jack out of the car. The car weighed in at 3625# with me in it (192# for me) and a 1/4 tank of gas.

I had a 26* PTE race chip in the car wich is coming out. Putting the 20* street chip back in it (too much transitional KR).

Going back up in a coupla weeks to see if I can do better.

Please don't ask about my RT's :eek:

So what do you guys think? Any ideas on how I could improve? Anything you see that I'm doing wrong?

Jack Cotton said I should be good for mid to high 12's. I've gotten to the mid/high 12's, but I want to know what I can do to go faster! :D

Not do doubt the man himself, just looking for input.

Steve

Your car looks great!

Congrats on the new times Steve. I don't really have the experience necessary to offer any pointers, but I just wanted to compliment you on your car & your recent best times.:)

Btw, that Ultra-light Tach is very nice looking. I've been wanting one to match the other Ultra-lights I have...but haven't wanted to pay what they want for em right now. You bought it from Summit correct?

Thanks

Carolina, thanks for the compliment! :)
I got it from Jegs....$249! Ouch! :eek: Same difference tho, the prices are about the same.
I have a bad habit of buying more than I need, figuring I will 'grow' into the part. :rolleyes: I could have gotten along fine with a simple memory tach or shift lite tach, but I just had to have the best of both worlds. I do use all the functions of it though, so I consider that money well spent. But if I had the money I would have needlessly bought one of those "Ultimate" playback tachs! :D

Steve

I ran my best time (12.3@113) with 116 octane gas and the alcohol. Ran 24+ psi of boost (Turbolink tops out at 24psi and my gauge isn't that accurate). More boost, faster run. Go getum.
Keith

Mods, let's see. I've always been too lazy to list them.

Fuel: Walbro fuel pump hotwired, 009 injectors. Adjustable fpr, homemade alcohol injection, ran 116 octane leaded gas AND alky for 12.3 runs.

Air: K&N 8" dropped down behind the driver's side headlight, one screen removed on the stock MAF. Now has RJC powerplate. Didn't when I made the 12.3 runs. Both valve cover breathers.

Turbo: Cheetah Stage III. Adjustable wastegate actuator, plus "aquarium valve" boost bleeder. 24-25psi boost.

Intercooler: big-neck mod, otherwise stock.

Cooling: 3-row radiator from Nick Micale, high-speed fan switch, heater hoses blocked to/from the throttle body. Coolant was distilled water with RMI-25 and rust inhibitor added. 160 degree thermostat.

Engine: New valve springs at 133,000 miles (now has 144,000). Engine tie-down.

Exhaust: custom made single shot, stock downpipe at the time (now with THDP), test pipe with cutout (open at strip). Now has electronic cutout.

Trans/Torque Convertor: Stock at the time of the run, except for
StageRight Transbrake. Torque convertor lock-up switch. Later the torque convertor came apart and took the trans out. Now it has a J&M rebuilt trans with a Mike Kurtz modified D5, 2800 stall torque convertor. No strip runs on it.

Electronics: Jay Carter 108 octane race chip (for the strip), 93 octane street chip. Autolite 23's @ .035 and Accel 8mm wires.

Suspension: Air bags in the coil springs (10psi right, 5psi left), 4" pinion snubber, boxed lower control arms, rolled the lips on the fenders.

Tires: 12.3 run made on 26x10x15 MT ET Streets mounted on 8" wide aluminum rims I bought from a used tire dealer for $80. Very light, even with tubes in the tires. Had to roll the lips on the rear fenders to make them clear. Ran about 13psi in the tires with a 10-12 psi boost launch off the StageRight transbrake. Daily drivers are Nitto 555DRs

Differential: Posi from a used 8.5" installed. Was a peg-leg car.

Brakes: Line-lock, adjustable combination (proportioning) valve, 7/8" S-10 rear brake cylinders, front/back long shoes in the rear brakes, stock front discs/pads. Vacuum brakes.

Aftermarket boost gauge, homemade fuel pressure gauge. Tuned with Turbolink and my $10 garage sale laptop.

That's about it. At 113mph it could run high 11's, but I've never been able to launch well. My best 60 foot was a 1.89. Now of course I'm at 6100 feet here in Colorado Springs instead of 700 feet in San Antonio Texas... Still, everybody is running under the same conditions.

Keith

Keith,

I was just board browsing around and I came up on this Thread and Man, You have almost the same exact combo as I do! Wow! I never seen anybody else on here with a Cheetah III turbo! Those are good times man! I just recently got my best times and I even did them on 26X10's M/T's just like you!

One question though, how the hell do you go bellow 2.0 60' with this thing? (freaken 82 housing!) . I ran my 12.94 with a 2.06 60' launching at 6 psi. :confused:

How much timing is in that Jay C 108?

Get back to me Bud. You can email me at Jorge_p80@hotmail.com if you like.

Thanks

Steve, great job! I see potential in better times but it's going to require better 60's.. Work with tires and try and get more launch boost if possible.. With 1.7's you should be able to run around 12.4's or so..

Keep trying things!
ks:D

Kevin,
Thanks for the advice. We went upo to LVD again a couple of weeks ago. The weather wasn't really that great (hotter & more humid), I ran a best of 12.91 @ 105, with a best 60' of 1.78. I had problems that time holding boost at the line, didn't seem to want to hold more than 5psi without breaking 'em loose. I was heating the Hoosiers pretty good. Maybe the track wasn't too great, my friend in his '01GT wasn't hooking real well either.

I had put the soft shoes and new drums on the night before your first trip to the track, and it was holding 8psi. I wonder how fast these soft shoes break in? That trick didn't seem to last very long!

We are going up again in a couple weeks, I'm just waiting for my shift kit, PR valve and deep pan/bottom feeder from Bruce (a little preventive maintenance for the tranny:))

Steve

I have somebody testing my prototype 'Stang suspension parts and they found that the high humidity slowed the 60's by .2!

Definitely need some STICKTION for good 60's..:D

keep us posted!!
ks:cool:

Also, when heating the tires, once the tires start to spin let up on the brake pedal just enough to hold the front tires still. I let up just until the car starts to move then press down a little more 'till it stops. This keeps the rear shoes from getting hot and the rear drums from warping..:D

I have a line lock on the car, so I don;t have to worry about the heat in the rear brakes. Strangely enough, I made my best 60' ever of 1.78 that day! But I wanna get some really good hi-boost launches next time. Thought about the e-brake but I talked myself out of it. I like my backing plates just the way they are. :D

Steve

Too hot at the track lately. Also it's at 2,100 feet.

Those are low 11 second times at sea level with freezing temperatures. :D

Let me know when you go back up there, I'm stupid enough to try it again. ;)

KEITH

Hey Keith how is it going. I don't if you remember me from SA. I had a black Limited T ran 12.50 about a year ago. My car just now blasted a 11.24 et. New motor, new turbo and cam. I didn't have your e-mail just ot see how your car was progressing. Gilbert

LVD next weekend

salvage, we may be going next weekend. I'll let ya know by Wednesday for sure. Maybe it'll be freezing out and I'll get that lo 11! :D ;)

Feelin' stoopid? I know I am! :D

Steve

My alky. pump bit the dust. :(

Probably could run some good fuel however to race. :)

Don't need the O2 sensor with the Maxeffort chip.

Could also baseline the slow GN. :D

Let me know if/when you are going.

:cool:

Wouldn't mind seeing that GN run a number! :cool:

Sux about the alky pump!. :(

One of my buds with an '01 GT is gonna try and put the Bullit intake on his car this week, but we'll most likely go even if he can't race. I'm sure he'll go too. Got another friend who wants to test out his '99 F350 PSD with the Banks power pak.

I guess it's more dependent on the weather, and if I want to miss the Hooters cruise again! Mmmmm Hooters! :D

Steve

Well I could always wash and wax the GN and take it to Hooters. :)

It is slow and won't run any numbers... yet.... :D

Brakes are almost dead too so I guess I can forget about baselining that one! :eek:

Gonna get the Baer brakes someyear....

I prefer racing salvageV6 anyway. :)

Re: KEITH

Originally posted by BUICKTR
Hey Keith how is it going. I don't if you remember me from SA. I had a black Limited T ran 12.50 about a year ago. My car just now blasted a 11.24 et. New motor, new turbo and cam. I didn't have your e-mail just ot see how your car was progressing. Gilbert

Gilbert--I remember you! Good run at 11.24! I'm impressed! I haven't actually gone to the track since I left San Antonio. I ran a 12.65 on the G-Tech, which translates to about 11.7 at sea level (we're at 6200 feet or higher here). So you're faster. Keep up the good work. My e-mail address is:
kjhansen49@yahoo.com
Keith

LVD Saturday

salvage,
Don't know if I will be able to make it Saturday....trans may be defunct. :( Gotta pull the pan this evening and see if there's any parts in there. I'll let ya know ASAP.

Steve