Best Slicks to get? M/T or Hoosier

buickrob

I'm going to be getting a set of 26x10x15 slicks. I like the M/T ET drags but was wondering if there is anything better? Anybody know a cheap place to get them? Thanks alot

slicks

rob,
yes, i know where you can get them. :D
i've used both and have had good results with both. i tend to lean towards the M/T's myself...but that's just my preference. so, the determining factor could and mostly will weigh on price. phoenix has a good slick as well and from what i understand and they are REALLY sticky. i can hook you up either way so let me know. thanks!

John C.
LedSLED Motorsports
LedSLED Motorsports
(315)298-1000
jcofolla@twcny.rr.com
We MEET or BEAT any tire/wheel price!
**for Turbobuick members only**
->Nitto & BF Goodrich drag radial authorized dealer.
->M/T & Hoosier slick dealer.
->Weld wheel authorized dealer!
->American Racing authorized wheel dealer!
->Demon Carb authorized dealer.
->NOS/NX nitrous systems authorized dealer.
->ATI Procharger authorized dealer

Rob Just like John said I have used both but like the hoosiers alittle better but then again my preference. If I have to get them again soon I will be looking more at price then the name of either of them. Sorry this isn't alittle more help to you.

Originally posted by buickrob
I'm going to be getting a set of 26x10x15 slicks. I like the M/T ET drags but was wondering if there is anything better?

yeah, 28X9's will be better with your mods. A TE44 is capable of mid 11's with the stock heads. 26" slicks have a tough time going over 114 with the stock heads, even with the converter locked up. Unless your heads are ported or you have a cam, you will be quicker and faster with 28" tires.

UNGN--Do you still lock your converter when using the 28" tires? I have been locking mine when I used the 26", but do I still need to lock it since I switched to the 28"? I picked up 2 mph going to the 28" and locking the converter, but would I still see that mph gain w/o locking the converter? Thanks.

You would see a gain going from unlocked/26" tire to unlocked/ 28" tire, but I don't know if you'd gain going from locked 26" to unlocked 28".

If I understand your comment, I should keep locking the converter with the 28". Correct?

LU vs Non-LU

I had an interesting half hr conversation with Art Carr last night (yeah the real one) about lu converters. He says that you dont need or want a lu converter and get better performance from a non-lu. I would think if anyone would know what he is talking about it would be Art. He said he has tested both and the non-lu will always out perform a LU. Just thougth I would throw that in there to put out a little information from one of the pro's.

David

With a modified motor, this may be true. With a stock motor no way. I'll bet art carr a $1000 that a locked up stock D5 will out mph his best non lockup. A stock motor runs out of RPMs above 5000 RPM. The lock up is to keep the RPMs down. Converter efficiencies, etc. have very little to do with it.

Originally posted by UNGN
With a modified motor, this may be true. With a stock motor no way. I'll bet art carr a $1000 that a locked up stock D5 will out mph his best non lockup. A stock motor runs out of RPMs above 5000 RPM. The lock up is to keep the RPMs down. Converter efficiencies, etc. have very little to do with it.

Im pretty sure he would take that bet and be a richer man in the end. When I call him monday Ill tell him.

David

Originally posted by dthrock

Im pretty sure he would take that bet and be a richer man in the end. When I call him monday Ill tell him.

David

Sounds cool! I'm In.

My 95K mile, 350+ WOT lockup D5 vs. his best non lock up converter (that stalls at least as well as a D5 :rolleyes: ), Stock 3.8L turbo motor. Best mph in the 1/4 mile wins.

Yep UNGN will walk away with the money...:).. He's right on with the times too. My Drag Radials are 26" tall and my GN has a hard time pushing past 114 MPH. The next set will be 28" tall.

Art needs to sell them high dollar convertors...take it with a grain of salt.

I ran hoosier slicks 26x10.5x15 with my Z28 , 11.85 @ 114mph pulling front wheel off ground and i will be buying another pair for my TTA soon!

UNGN will win hands down....AC makes darn good non/LU converters....he doesn't make any performance LU converters...does this tell you anything? You can bet your last nickle the market for non lock "performance" converters is much larger than our little 2004R bunch (TH-400's do not use LU converters....nor do power glides....)

The advantage of a LU converter at the track is this: you can have a much looser converter to optimize your launch and then lock it up to optimize your mph and efficiency....no non lock converter in the world is as "efficient" (meaning slippage) as a locked converter!

(not to mention the advantages on a street driven car.....)

In ultra high performance applications, this becomes a moot point (say 9sec and down cars) they make enough power that converter efficiency doesn't much matter...just rpm range