Best Valve cover gaskets?

1KWIKSIX

Lets hear from you on your experiences with valve cover gaskets.
I'm about to install some new TA Performance Valve covers.

What's the best to use?

I'm looking at:

FelPro Cork 50156
FelPro Fel-Coprene 50156R
FelPro Perma Dry Plus 50156T

Last edited:
RJC Racing has some new cork valve cover gaskets . They are thicker than the felpro. I have put them on a few cars.
Nice piece.

Attachments

• 20160216_150833-1.jpg
    20160216_150833-1.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 323
cork with a few dabs of rtv to hold the gasket to the valve cover only. dont poop the rtv on.

Felpro Perma Dry Plus on my motors , no leaks at all on either motor . Do Not over torque !!

I've always had good luck with cork gaskets even the cheap ones. I make sure everything is clean and oil free, use rtv to attach the gasket to the valve cover and most of all don't over torque when you install the covers. After some run time go back and check the torque,again don't over do it just make sure they didn't loosen up.

I bought a set of the Fel-Pro perma dry gaskets a couple years ago but haven't used them yet.

I normally get about 4 to 5 years out of the cork gaskets before having to replace them.

Last edited:
Never had an issue with the permadry gaskets. Always kept leak free. I even reused them once.. Probably shouldn't have.. But never leaked :eek:

Cometics....installed dry after all surfaces are cleaned with brake clean. No leaks!

Permadry Plus. The metal framework helps with install. Mine have on and off about a dozen times. No leaks. This is on iron heads with the as cast mating surface too.

I use the blue ones (I think the permadry plus) on my Ttype and the wife's jeep. As mentioned the key is not to over torque - they do NOT require much at all. Let the gasket do the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plenty of different opinions on this but here is what worked for me.

Here are my valve covers... Aluminum from TA. Initially I installed the plain ole felpro cork dry. I was dripping oil all over the place. I think it was seeping out the corners where the gasket gets thin. I tried again with a new pair of the same gaskets and this time put permatex the right stuff between the head and gasket, and some permatex high tack between the gasket and valve cover. No leaks so far. The valve covers can be a pain to remove if you use too much.