You can type here any text you want

Biggest Slick Diameter

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

J-B Racing

Forced Induction
Can someone tell me what is the largest Size Slicks that can fit without having to butcher the Quarter. I know the Wide limits, but wanted to know what people run as a high tire. I am up to 28.5 and find I have not enough room unless I move back the diff an inch.

Thanks

I'm running a 29.5 without a problem. There is the width of one finger clearance between the lowest front area of the fender lip and the front of the tire. I also have adjustable control arms to move the axle housing around.

I'm running a 29.5 without a problem. There is the width of one finger clearance between the lowest front area of the fender lip and the front of the tire. I also have adjustable control arms to move the axle housing around.

i got a 29.5, but my frame rails are notched. im wondering if i can manage to squeeze a 30 in there, it looks like i have enough room....:confused:

Damn...you guys are running BIG..I gotta make these 28.5 fit. I have 3/4`` between the Wheel and the Fender at the front of the wheel.
And because of my Spool, then I back up and turn, the Tires touch the front Lips..
I don`t want to chance and Race the car with that little clearance. So I will have to pull back a little.

Thanks guys for the input. Helps me much..:D

Mr .don ...ONE FINGER..how much does that slick grow at the end of the strip???????

I have been struggling with this problem for the last 8 months since putting my car in the 9s. Getting a huge tire under the car without cutting ANYTHING is a task. Im sure this doesnt need said as Im sure you already know..but the section width is the problem on our cars. Section width meaning the "sidewall buldge" that will rub the frame on the inside and the quarter panel lip on the outside. The taller you go up in diameter the wider the section width becomes even with staying the same width (contact foot print).

Hoosier is the ONLY slick company out there that has the LEAST amount of section width when you go to a 28 or 29 inch tires. I have searched every single company out there. The max you can fit is a 12 inch section width and not rub and even then its may skim the frame from time to time but not hurt anything. I had to run a 29 inch tire because the car was gonna run out of gear and I didnt want to regear the car to a 3.23. Keep in mind I still have and run a 2004r trans. Its nearly impossible to get a 29 inch tall tire with a 10 inch width to clear so I went with a 29x9. The car just will not hook with this minimum width tire no matter what I have tried at this power leval even with the full HR Parts package tweaked and retweaked.

I just recently broke down and went to the 29x10 Hoosier which measures an 11.9 advertised section width. Its VERY close. The advertised section width of a tire I have found is always more in real life when you mount it up than what they list it as. I am running the 1/4 inch longer lowers which I think helped alot in gettin this tire to go on the car with adjustable uppers. Hope this info help you.

Brian

I have been struggling with this problem for the last 8 months since putting my car in the 9s. Getting a huge tire under the car without cutting ANYTHING is a task. Im sure this doesnt need said as Im sure you already know..but the section width is the problem on our cars. Section width meaning the "sidewall buldge" that will rub the frame on the inside and the quarter panel lip on the outside. The taller you go up in diameter the wider the section width becomes even with staying the same width (contact foot print).

Hoosier is the ONLY slick company out there that has the LEAST amount of section width when you go to a 28 or 29 inch tires. I have searched every single company out there. The max you can fit is a 12 inch section width and not rub and even then its may skim the frame from time to time but not hurt anything. I had to run a 29 inch tire because the car was gonna run out of gear and I didnt want to regear the car to a 3.23. Keep in mind I still have and run a 2004r trans. Its nearly impossible to get a 29 inch tall tire with a 10 inch width to clear so I went with a 29x9. The car just will not hook with this minimum width tire no matter what I have tried at this power leval even with the full HR Parts package tweaked and retweaked.

I just recently broke down and went to the 29x10 Hoosier which measures an 11.9 advertised section width. Its VERY close. The advertised section width of a tire I have found is always more in real life when you mount it up than what they list it as. I am running the 1/4 inch longer lowers which I think helped alot in gettin this tire to go on the car with adjustable uppers. Hope this info help you.

Brian

Thanks Brian. We both did the homework at about the same time. I just purchased a set of M&H 28.5 x 10.5 and I did not want to run Spacers, but I am at that again. Hoosier`s I found that their Tires are smaller than specified. The 28 x 10 are to me 27`` Diameter. But the M&H are right on at 28.5`` And that`s where I am in a situation where I have to get them in properly.
Good info Brian.

Joe

I fould it easiest to fit the middle finger in sideways when checking clearance. What can I say, it works.:biggrin:

Attachments

• IMGP1721rs.jpg
    IMGP1721rs.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 314
  • IMGP1718rs.jpg
    IMGP1718rs.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 311
So far no rubbing.

Attachments

• IMGP1722rs.jpg
    IMGP1722rs.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 308
  • IMGP1720rs.jpg
    IMGP1720rs.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 290
Oh yeah. The big tire 'FREAKIN' sticks! A very stable ride on the top end. So far, anyway.

Oh yeah. The big tire 'FREAKIN' sticks! A very stable ride on the top end. So far, anyway.

Donnie, our concept was to keep the tires UNDER the car so the body could actually fit over them without rubbing. If a person so chose to let the tire hang out from under the body you could basically put any width tire on the planet on it. To each his own and I dont doubt for a second that your car hooks with tires that wide!:D

:eek: That looks good Donald. Those are big Tires...:D
I asume you did a well notch Frame work on that baby!!
I am leaving mine as is and trying to fit what I can in there..:)

Joe

If the plan is to not notch the frame and keep it clear of the fender lip, your choice is simple. 28x10.5-15. You'll still need to roll or cut the lip of the fender. That tire was not working for me. Just not enough traction. I was forced to notch the frame. It was that or back half it.
The 29.5 has a tread width of 11". The section makes them look wider.

Attachments

• IMGP1728rs.jpg
    IMGP1728rs.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 276
If the plan is to not notch the frame and keep it clear of the fender lip, your choice is simple. 28x10.5-15. You'll still need to roll or cut the lip of the fender. That tire was not working for me. Just not enough traction. I was forced to notch the frame. It was that or back half it.
The 29.5 has a tread width of 11". The section makes them look wider.

Don, what backspace do you need to fit the 28X10.5X15?

Back