Biggest turbo for stock heads?

rssooner

Hello everyone.

87GN with all the goodies (50lb injectors, DW300 fuel pump, SLIC, ALKY, PTC 3000, TT 5.7, 3" DP and exhaust, Powerlogger etc.) I have a TE-60 that I have had in the car for a loooong time. Unfortunately, I am not that up to date with the current turbos. My question is what turbo could I upgrade to that will run effeciently on stock heads but still give me room to grow once I get heads ported or upgrade to aluminum heads?

Thanks a bunch.
RS

Hello everyone.

87GN with all the goodies (50lb injectors, DW300 fuel pump, SLIC, ALKY, PTC 3000, TT 5.7, 3" DP and exhaust, Powerlogger etc.) I have a TE-60 that I have had in the car for a loooong time. Unfortunately, I am not that up to date with the current turbos. My question is what turbo could I upgrade to that will run effeciently on stock heads but still give me room to grow once I get heads ported or upgrade to aluminum heads?

Thanks a bunch.
RS
to really benefit from a much larger turbo change its not just the heads its the cam.from what you have listed you have just bolt ons.the stock motor is low compression,the heads dont flow well and the cam is done at low rpm.larger turbos need just the opposite.i would highly suggest you pick a power levels and have some goals or this can spin into a money pit fast.any billet 60 series turbo would make 10 sec power but you are really holding it back with stock heads and you could bolt on the turbo for now if your not concerned with the lag.62/62 would be the largest i would recommend and would be a nice jump when you upgrade the heads and cam.

With fully stock motor/head/cam on my old lc2 wagon i went pretty fast with a te44 and alky but with the boost close to 30#, then bolted on a 6262cea and went considerably slower the car was choking wouldnt pull any harder from 24psi on, after that went to a mfs 5965 from bison and went as fast with better spoolup and 4psi lower boost then the old te44...Just my experience,
should mention it was all with a 0 pump vigilante lu converter that stalled around 2800

I agree with what's been said.
Depending on your goals, should determine which turbo would be best. If low 11's to high 10's is your ultimate goal after the heads upgrade, then everyone's recommendations above will get the job done nicely. I would however, no matter what highly recommend that you go with an S ported shroud compressor cover. The S cover has a 4" inlet and 2.5" discharge. This will help eliminate any surge issues you would have, if you chose the E compressor cover (3" inlet, 2" discharge) with the 62 mm or larger compressor wheel. Especially if it's mainly a street car. Get in touch with Brian at Bison's Performance and he'll get your squared away with a nice upgrade.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/bisonsperformance/about/?ref=page_internal

-Patrick-

That was with stock heads, the world opens up once they are ported and a cam, then a 62 or 64mm at that point if you want to grow into it. and it will probably be the last turbo you will ever need.

I put a DBB 70 P-trim Innovative turbo on one of my cars, but I only put 55K miles on it so I'm sure there would be some issues to be found someday. ;)

Not much more power than a PTE51 with a stock converter, but it did spool faster than the TA62 I also had on it when I put a 3200 Protorque lockup converter in the car with the nice rebuilt transmission. Sounded and looked better too, water cooled and purple backing plate. :cool:

Never got around to the heads and cam stuff but maybe someday since the motor and tranny are still good, rest of it kinda rotted away.

It's probably way left as in left field of the proper operating curve but worked just fine on the stock motor highest boost ran was 26psi. usually 24psi. with pump gas and alky. :)

It's in the avatar pic.

What is your ET goal? 11.78@115....how much boost to achieve that et? The TE60 is a good turbo. Tweak your combo and see where it goes. I would do cam/heads before dropping $ for the latest and greatest turbo. Ported heads and roller cams pop up on the for sale section a lot. Your "low compression" will go fast. Like mentioned above about boost, 20# thru stock heads/cam will make way less than 20# thru high flowing heads/larger cam.

To help the OP out here's a real world number with the turbo you have from one of the locals. He has a TE 60 you have, alky, bone stock unopened 109. Upgraded downpipe and exhaust, Translator and TT 5.7 alky chip with a Husek 3021. At 26 PSI he went 11.4 at 117 on a 1.6x launch. HTH

Thanks everyone for the replies. My et goal would be low 11s. My overall plan is to do heads and use the TE60 to get there since I haven’t maxed out this turbo yet.

My et goal would be low 11s.
that can be done with what you have.you will need to hit the 60 and 330 hard,the correct converter so you dont go out of the rpm window.mph targets should be 118 to 121mph.understand you will be pushing the stock motor to do this and if the car is on the heavy side makes it that much harder.