bilstein shocks Questions

chris 6

Are bilstein shocks worth the $. do they ride good or too stiff any one have anything good or bad to say about them. is there a compairable or better shock for less or same$.

i love them. worth the money, imo. i went from sensatrack's to these and it was like nite and day. the car is much more under control over bumps and such. ive not used any other performance shocks so i cant compare to, say, kyb, but a friend had some kyb's and said they rode very rough.

Ride is stiffer than the stockers but not harsh.

Handling is much better and I think they are needed with the roads up here in New England.

Got them on both cars. :)

i also just got them. pricey but well worth it. i had top of the line midas shocks{whatever that means} in there and the diffrence is like night and day. great shock:D

I prefer Edelbrock AIS for everyday spirited driving. I have used both Bilstiens and KYB and fined the ride too harsh with anything but a stock suspension.

I have used KYB's and Bilsteins. The KYBs are an old design and quite stiff. The Bilsteins are very smooth yet the car handles really well. I have been curious about the Edelbrock shocks they seem to only have two valve states, open and closed. The Bilsteins have multiple stages of valving.

BJM says "I have been curious about the Edelbrock shocks they seem to only have two valve states, open and closed. The Bilsteins have multiple stages of valving. "

Thats really not quite right. The Biltsein used in the G Body application is a single stage valving, meaning it reacts to road imperfections the same regardless of the velocity.

The Edelbrock on the other hand has an inertia valve, hence IAS, that reacts to road imperfections to maintain a smooth ride over harsh roads and firm ride on good roads. Order the video from Edelbrock, it's free.

The one advantage the Bilstein does have over the IAS, is, if you have someone local with the equipment, like a roundy round shop, you can revalve the shock.

If money is really no object, about $130 per,look into QA1 or Koni.:D

I have the Tokico non-adjustable shocks on my TR. I got them from www.shox.com for a pretty good price. I are nice & firm, but not too rough for daily driving.

I had the Bilsteins on my 86 GN along with aftermarket control arms, sway bars and springs. I pushed the car hard in every corner and every chance I got - loved them. Too bad Bilstein doesn't make a PSS9 system for these cars. A PSS9 system is a multi-adjustable system offered for the BMW's and Porsche's.