Blacked out bumper question

TIMS87GN

What is the story with the Blacked out bumpers on the GNs? Were these just chrome bumpers that were painted black or are they unique? Mine has all sorts of heavy chips and either needs to be replaced or repainted. I'm trying to decide. Thanks in advance:D .

The bumpers on GN's were never chromed. They are painted black. So to redo it the correct way strip all the old paint off, spray some good primer (DP90) and get the correct black from a body shop supply store to paint them with.

Thanks Turboman38, I didn't think they painted over chrome. Guess it is just another example of how unique these cars are. Thanks!!!:D

A better solution than repainting the bumpers would be to have them stripped to the bare metal and have them powder coated(powder painted). When I used to drive mine every day I would have to repaint them about every other year. No matter how carefull I was or how I prepped them I would always manage to get a chip or two in them. I finally got them coated and the finish is bullet-proof. Cant tell that they are not painted. And heres the kicker, it cost less than what I paid for paint and materials. About 6 years ago it cost me $30.00 per bumper with me doing the stripping and prep.

Thanks Turbofish38, There is a chroming business here in town. I guess I would have to get them to strip it for me. I'm sure that I can't do it on my own, Or can I? I never thought of powder coating. So you really can't tell the difference huh? Thanks for the help man!;)

Originally posted by TIMS87GN
Thanks Turbofish38, There is a chroming business here in town. I guess I would have to get them to strip it for me. I'm sure that I can't do it on my own, Or can I? I never thought of powder coating. So you really can't tell the difference huh? Thanks for the help man!;)

For what you are going to pay them to bead blast the chrome off of the bumper, You can give it to a reputable powder coater because they have to bead blast the finish before it goes into the oven for the powder coating process.

I payed $125.00 to have my front bumper powder coated on my GN and since its a daily driver, the rock chip problem is totally eliminated. If you paint it, you will have several rock chips over time even with a good enamel paint. Just my .03 cents. :)