Blew headgasket at low boost.

I need to know what needs to be changed to make a 1987 Ignition Module work in my 1985 T-Type. Can anyone help? Thanks Steve

Welcome to the turbobuick.com. You will get a better response however.... if you start a new thread.... in the "general tech" section. This is a blown head gasket thread....

Good Luck...

Well I don't know Eddie, I have doubts it was a starvation problem but it is possible. First thing I would check is the fuel pump. With the engine off, toggle the fuel relay and crank in the regulator while the pump is running. That pump should go to 100psi no problem. I would bet it stops around 50psi. :eek:

Rick Im going to check the pump out before I start disassembling everything. Even if its a bad pump I am going to put it all back together before changing it out. At least I know this one works to some degree to let me start the car. I live by the old saying"Never change more than one thing at a time".

Gasket pushed out toward fender on #4 and #6 starting to look bad but it holds pressure. Head lifted for sure.

Gasket pushed out toward fender on #4 and #6 starting to look bad but it holds pressure. Head lifted for sure.

you mean like this :frown:

DSC_0287.jpg

:cool:

Ed, After talking to you today on the phone I would have to agree that the gasket just couldnt take it anymore and gave up the ghost. I think that the felpro HGs just couldnt take it anymore. 2.whatever degrees of knock should'nt have blown the gasket regardless of if it went lean or not. Time for some cometics and studs now. :D You need some ported heads so you can make the same power on less boost ........or turn it up and really fly:eek::biggrin: Call me when you get the motor out. Jeremy:wink:

whatever degrees of knock should'nt have blown the gasket regardless of if it went lean or not.
I dont agree with this. Any detonation could hurt the gasket integrity. It may never show up as KR either. Uncontrolled combustion events will hurt the engine eventually. hopefully its not when the engine is making big power. If it is it will hurt a lot more than head gaskets

I dont agree with this. Any detonation could hurt the gasket integrity. It may never show up as KR either. Uncontrolled combustion events will hurt the engine eventually. hopefully its not when the engine is making big power. If it is it will hurt a lot more than head gaskets

I don't think for a second jsut because you have alky its not detonating.
Just because you dont see anything on your knock gauge doesn't mean its not detonating.

See when a car is driven and beat on... on the street its subjected to a lot more issues than when at a track. Example your driving along, gas tank is low.. you beat on it.. chip chip away at the gasket. Over time chip chip away until one day the gasket fails.

A car that sits on a trailer, gas tank is full, engine is cool, gasoline octane is constant. etc.. stands a better chance of living. Vs a car beat on with mixes of who knows who gas/octane/additives.

I think your gasket let go cuase it was time. Resurface the head, put a new gasket on it.. back to beating on it till it breaks again.

Racing will take its toll on parts. This is why there is no warranty on racing engines. best to do is keep a mental checklist where things are and go from there. Try not to race it when conditions(fuel, temps, alky) etc are not there.

Passenger side is a fast gasket change.

Here ya go...
Do you think I need to replace it?:D

Attachments

• DSC01557.jpg
    DSC01557.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 231
Man you did a number on that!! You gonna get Mets to check the head out? I'll call you tomorrow at the shop. Jeremy

I left the engine in the car. Only gonna pull it if I see an issue with something. Going to pull the other head this weekend. Ran out of "wife time" last night. She swears I broke it just so I can work on it.:rolleyes:

Distraction is the root of all distruction :D

So basically your accusing me of having my 8 speaker 600 watt sound system cranked up with Ozzy and I didnt hear my audible knock sensor go off and my head was banging so hard that I couldnt focus on my knock readings? I dont appreciate being accused like that sir!:D;)

That gasket has been murdered :D

Get the head resurfaced and take the gasket back to autozone for the 1 year warranty ;)

Put it back to gether nice and clean and back to beating on it with fuel in the tank :wink:

Well, I think some of the blown HG issues lately may be related to the winter blend.

At a higher Ethanol ratio, you “may” need to lower target AFR a few tenths.
The sum of the compounded affect of “winter blend and cooler temps” can be dangerous.

Of course, the counter argument to that is:
Cooler temps allow for slightly leaner AFR's since it is less detonation prone.

Just speculation, that's all - No data, no research, no facts. :eek::tongue: