Blew headgasket at low boost.

My Thanksgiving treat was a blown headgasket this afternoon.:mad:

What I dont understand as of yet was why. I was in third gear, 3/4 throttle and 20-21 psi when it went. My boost is set at 24 psi at full throttle and I was no where near that level. I was just merging onto the interstate. I always prime my alky before I take my car out. It blew out towards the fenderwell. I have no smoke or coolant loss. I guess thats a blessing. I just parked it this evening. I just had to post this to vent, my wife doesnt feel sorry for me.:redface:

so your sure it's a headgasket you actual see the gasket pushed out?

Ed,
I remember back when I had a failing in tank walbro. The exact same scenario, when I came off the ramp and started to get into it, audible knock was clear as day. Obviously I pulled out of it but the damage had already been done. If I had not been running Cometics, one of the hg's would have let go for sure.

Recently when I pulled that motor apart, #2 was partially blown toward the valley. Funny thing is the car still ran strong and showed no signs.

What are you running for a fuel pump? :redface:

so your sure it's a headgasket you actual see the gasket pushed out?

I have not even had a chance to get out in the garage yet. Wife is shopping today and I have the 2 little ones.

Its got to be headgasket. It very loud and it will not idle without my foot on the brake and giving it gas to stay running. No 02 counts at idle on the scanmaster anymore unless I give it some throttle.

Ed,
I remember back when I had a failing in tank walbro. The exact same scenario, when I came off the ramp and started to get into it, audible knock was clear as day. Obviously I pulled out of it but the damage had already been done. If I had not been running Cometics, one of the hg's would have let go for sure.

Recently when I pulled that motor apart, #2 was partially blown toward the valley. Funny thing is the car still ran strong and showed no signs.

What are you running for a fuel pump? :redface:

Walbro 340 from about 3 years ago. Its sad. I have a PL(w/ FP logging) and I did not have it hooked up. I am just upset that I did not see any knock an the scanmaster and the audible did not go off. The sun was in my eyes when I was merging so I cant say for sure if my green light was on for my alky kit or not. I agree with some of the other posts that maybe I did some damage a while back and it was just its time. I only had 2,700 miles on this new motor.:mad:

Attn: Court is in session...

Walbro 340 from about 3 years ago. Its sad. I have a PL(w/ FP logging) and I did not have it hooked up. I am just upset that I did not see any knock an the scanmaster and the audible did not go off. The sun was in my eyes when I was merging so I cant say for sure if my green light was on for my alky kit or not. I agree with some of the other posts that maybe I did some damage a while back and it was just its time. I only had 2,700 miles on this new motor.:mad:

Lawyer: What do you have for a fuel pump sir?
87NAT: One of the questionable Walbros that's about three years old.
Lawyer: And would you say you were good about monitoring its performance?
87NAT: Well, I have a PL(w/FP logging).
Lawyer: What infomation was recorded at the time of the incident Mr.NAT?
87Nat: Umm...I didn't have it hooked up...:redface:
Lawyer: I see. You mentioned you prime your Alky kit before every trip.
87NAt: Yes sir I do.
Lawyer: And do you recall the Alky light going from red to green?
87NAT: Im not sure, the sun was in my eyes at that moment.
Lawyer: Really, sorry to hear that. Do you consider 20-21psi low boost? I mean it is 80% of your full boost setting...
87Nat: Well kinda...
Lawyer: And did you not mention you only had a fuel supply that was 25% full... and will you admit failed to remember your Turbo Tweak chip instructions clearly state the WOT is 4.2-4.8 volts on the TPS sensor reading. And the fact that during the past 2700mile you may have experienced some head gasket weakening detonation MR.NAT?:mad:
87NAT::frown: Yes....
Lawyer: No further questions your Honor!:p

Just poking fun at ya dude. Please don't let it offend you in any way. Been there done that. I feel your pain. Broken cranks at 15psi, Popped one HG passing a lady at 17 psi. Blew right into the valley, perfect excuse for a few upgrades. It happens! I hope it's just in need of a HG swap and you will be back on the road in no time. I would have the heads checked for straightness if you didn't do it on the last rebuild and replace that FP with a new one. Cheap insurance and piece of mind. Have fun with the little ones, its that time of year when the car is making room for improvements just don't tell the wife that.;)

I've learned my lesson about beating on my stuff with low fuel.Bare block on the stand in front of car right now.I burned three holes, after work one night with 17lbs boost. The fuel system gulped air (improperly baffeled sumped tank) whoops! and that was all she wrote. Cometics are great HG's,i've used them,twice,actuauly re-used them once..But its easier to replace the felpros than it is pistons. They make a nice saftey valve.

Lawyer: Really, sorry to hear that. Do you consider 20-21psi low boost? I mean it is 80% of your full boost setting...
Lawyer: And did you not mention you only had a fuel supply that was 25% full... and will you admit failed to remember your Turbo Tweak chip instructions clearly state the WOT is 4.2-4.8 volts on the TPS sensor reading. And the fact that during the past 2700mile you may have experienced some head gasket weakening detonation MR.NAT?:mad:

Just poking fun at ya dude. Please don't let it offend you in any way. Been there done that. I feel your pain. Broken cranks at 15psi, Popped one HG passing a lady at 17 psi. Blew right into the valley, perfect excuse for a few upgrades. It happens! I hope it's just in need of a HG swap and you will be back on the road in no time. I would have the heads checked for straightness if you didn't do it on the last rebuild and replace that FP with a new one. Cheap insurance and piece of mind. Have fun with the little ones, its that time of year when the car is making room for improvements just don't tell the wife that.;)

Wow! I feel like Judge Judy just tore me a new one.:D No insult taken. Live and learn. I have only been dealing with these cars for 17 years now...I should know better. It was an entertaining read a least.

Could also have been the straw that broke the camels back. The gasket could have been weakened.. this last time.. it was its time.

Dont beat on it on low fuel.. pressure drops.. and bad things happen

X2..Exactly what i was thinking as i read this thread!

Ed-

The regal gauge accuracy is a joke, anytime mine got below 1/2 a tank I would try and fill up. Notice how the top sode of the gauge lasts a lot longer than the bottom half.

Sorry for your misfortune.:cool:

Could also have been the straw that broke the camels back. The gasket could have been weakened.. this last time.. it was its time.

I agree.

Several years ago, I hurt my motor at the track, but actually, the day before on the street, I remember having the engine pop loudly at WOT. Then it ran fine while cruising around but the next day on my first run at the track... halfway in the run the engine broke.

Ed-

The regal gauge accuracy is a joke, anytime mine got below 1/2 a tank I would try and fill up. Notice how the top sode of the gauge lasts a lot longer than the bottom half.

Sorry for your misfortune.:cool:

Yeah, I see guys run the car down to "E" add only 5 gallons and its reading past a quarter tank. Then when its that low the gauge needle moves slightly under different electrical loads and overall vehicle movement. Glad you could take a joke...keep us posted!:)

I drilled him under cross examination during PM's :D

Well I don't know Eddie, I have doubts it was a starvation problem but it is possible. First thing I would check is the fuel pump. With the engine off, toggle the fuel relay and crank in the regulator while the pump is running. That pump should go to 100psi no problem. I would bet it stops around 50psi. :eek:

I'm betting on the gasket let go because of the last 2700 miles being brutal! Guys, don't let Ed fool you, he knows the exact mph his car can spin the tires!! We're talking about a guy that thrives on 80's metal. What do you think he's doing when Dio's "Last in Line" comes on? :D

Guilty Guilty Guilty.... He is sentenced to replace the gasket ASAP :D

This is where having a hood-mounted fuel pressure gage staring you in the face all the time makes all the difference..... :wink:

I'm betting on the gasket let go because of the last 2700 miles being brutal! Guys, don't let Ed fool you, he knows the exact mph his car can spin the tires!! We're talking about a guy that thrives on 80's metal. What do you think he's doing when Dio's "Last in Line" comes on? :D

Thanks for the support Damon...I feel the love.:eek:;)

What should I listen to? Love songs of the 70', 80's and 90's?:D

could also have been the straw that broke the camels back. The gasket could have been weakened.. This last time.. It was its time.

Dont beat on it on low fuel.. Pressure drops.. And bad things happen

and they happen fast!!!

Switching Ignition Module from 1985 to 1987 Need Help.

I need to know what needs to be changed to make a 1987 Ignition Module work in my 1985 T-Type. Can anyone help? Thanks Steve

I need to know what needs to be changed to make a 1987 Ignition Module work in my 1985 T-Type. Can anyone help? Thanks Steve

I think there may be a better place to ask this question, and I also think search could help you greatly.