You can type here any text you want

block casting number?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

just plain john

El Camino a Go-Go!
I found an ad for what the seller calls a prototype stage 1 block. This is a quote from the ad..."Have a virgin 3.8 Heavy Duty block for sale.. (its a prototype Stage 1 block) very similar.. has very thick webbing in 2 and 3 mains (can use 4 bolt caps) and thicker deck and flywheel area. Still in Cosmoline.. never been bored or used.. weighs 129lbs". Is there such a thing as a 'prototype' stage 1 block? What casting number should I be looking for?

Cool, thanks for the reply. Is there any specifics on the actual casting number? How would one determine if it's on center or off center?

whats not true? you can see in the picture SG1 cast into the block?

It's a common misconception that SG1 marked blocks are "stage 1".

SG1 marked blocks are not Stage 1 blocks. The SG1 casting denotes blocks that GM used as replacement blocks during warranty/non-warranty replacements.

Why not just ask the seller for the part number or casting? Everything has a number. Even prototypes. At least you'll know what you are buying.:confused:

I emailed him a couple of hours ago with no response as of yet. In the meantime, I'm trying to find out as much as I can so I'll know what I'm looking at when I see it. Let's assume it's just a 109 block, new and unused. What's it worth? Asking price is $250. Having never bought one before, maybe one of you know.

$250 for a virgin block is a good price IMO. I'd grab it as long as its a 109 block for our cars cuz to me thats worth the $250 itself.

I used the "search" button on the main TB page and it brought up several threads regarding this casting number..If you are building a motor, this might be a good block to start with. Be aware, the knock sensor hole and turbo oil drain hole are probably not present. They can be added simply enough, but you might look to see if they are there. Hope this helps! :)

Back