You can type here any text you want

block storage

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Detomaso71

whats best way to store a bare block with minor surface rust?
any prep or chemicals?

thanks

I store my Stage Block in a engine bag. I spray it with WD-40 from time to time. Zero rust issues. I did set the block inside a plastic tote to keep it off the floor.

whats best way to store a bare block with minor surface rust? any prep or chemicals? thanks

To protect it best, put a grease or similar on all the machined surfaces, especially the cylinder bores. :)

We have trashed good blocks because of rust pits that go deeper than they look.

I also use grease,every bare surface there is.I used to spray it with wd 40 but you have to keep doing it or it will rust.Do it once with grease and forget it.

I will give you a $100 for it and pick it up tonight. Then you don't even have to worry about it:)

I will give you a $100 for it and pick it up tonight. Then you don't even have to worry about it:)

Kevin, I will give you another $200.00 to build it for me ( all forged and race ready):biggrin:

Bryan

Kevin, I will give you another $200.00 to build it for me ( all forged and race ready):biggrin:

Bryan

Lol...hey, my machine work guy needs money for his dirt modified. He'd probably get all the machine work done tonight so he has racing money for Saturday haha

Lol...hey, my machine work guy needs money for his dirt modified. He'd probably get all the machine work done tonight so he has racing money for Saturday haha

Im in...See you Saturday. Thats the only way mine will be running again this year.

WD-40 has got to be about the worst thing you could put on it..

Break Free CLP will work real good, but you might have to apply more over time. This is what I use on my guns.

Grease/cosmo would be the best long term as long as it doesn't dry out and expose bare medal. Make sure you don't trap any moisture, clean it real good first..

My old girlfirends dad had a 327 built. He said when he was shipped to nam, he put all the motor parts in a 55gal drum filled with oil.

Used motor oil is not the best thing to use. If you use it, make sure it is new/fresh..

WD-40 has like a million uses.:biggrin: Why is it worse thing for an engine block?:confused:

It's not a rust preventative

LPS 3 is a product that will stay in place forever and is rust preventive that has been around for a long time.

LPS 3 is (improved) cosmoline in a spray can.
Try it and let us know what you think..

gun's..

I don't see why not if you don't mind dealing with the clean-up but I'd be concerned with the stock if you have a nice one.
I use some stuff I used to make that we sold to the local gun shops that staid in place and wasn't such a mess to clean. It was also successful as a lube enhancer for everything mechanical including automatic transmissions, cotton gin, Regal, turbine engine, roller skates, etc..

Plug into ebay, google or a hardware store.

Back