You can type here any text you want

Blow off valve

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
When to use?
-When you put a manual transmission in.
-When you don't like the unique sound of a Buick V6.
-When you feel like wasting money.
-When you don't have a MAF sensor anymore.
-When you want to impress the ghetto guys with your big fart sound.
-When you want to protect a turbo that chances are you will upgrade before you brake it.
-When you road race.
-When you want something purple and green under you hood.
-When you sell the Buick and buy something Japanese.
-When you listen to all those people that say you need one.
-When you get one cheap from a Buick vendor who couldn't sell it to anyone else.

When not to use?
-When your completely happy with the fact that you don't need one.

When to use?
-When you put a manual transmission in.
-When you don't like the unique sound of a Buick V6.
-When you feel like wasting money.
-When you don't have a MAF sensor anymore.
-When you want to impress the ghetto guys with your big fart sound.
-When you want to protect a turbo that chances are you will upgrade before you brake it.
-When you road race.
-When you want something purple and green under you hood.
-When you sell the Buick and buy something Japanese.
-When you listen to all those people that say you need one.
-When you get one cheap from a Buick vendor who couldn't sell it to anyone else.

When not to use?
-When your completely happy with the fact that you don't need one.
So you have 2 then? :D

Well I always was thinking the same thing until Bison ( Brian ) said they Do have value if set up right.

So you have 2 then? :D

No, I like extra bling! I mounted a few of them to my hood and one on my 2 foot high rear wing. They look great next to the green decals on my windows and the 24 inch rims with rubber bands on them.:ROFLMAO:

Well I always was thinking the same thing until Bison ( Brian ) said they Do have value if set up right.

Hey Bison! How many do you have in stock? I need a few more for the front bumpers:p.

All kidding aside. Bison/Brian is right. They do serve a purpose. And as I stated in my previous post some of those reasons are legit. Also, If you are on and off the throttle a lot it may keep the turbo speed up for quick re-spool. However, I still don't need no f'n blow off! And if I don't need one, I'm sure you don't need one either.:D

I'm thinking of running one now that I've relocated my throttle body and ran a bb6157. I get very bad stumble/surge if I am past 1/4 throttle and then get out of the gas. This turbo spools up so fast I'm almost always around 1-2 psi while accelerating. For some reason it's not nearly as bad if I'm full throttle and let off.

I had to replace my original center section at 30k; when I did I put on a BOV from ATR and the second center section has lasted 185k. I drive and maintain the car the same way since it was bought. Coincidence maybe but I'm keeping it.

Precision turbo says to run one. I've never run one on my 6262 with anti surge inlet but the surge on this bw s366 is so bad I put one on.

If I was road racing and had to rapidly open and close the throttle Id run one for sure. The valve has to be setup to work properly for the type of driving and desired effect. I've seen them leak boost under power and cause a bunch of other problems. If you are getting surge at wot then the engine can't swallow the air and the turbo isn't running anywhere near where it should be. Anything that has fast response or requires lower drive pressures to obtain a high pressure ratio will typically surge at part throttle. The compressor is trying to move x amount of air but it isn't making it into the engine. Switching compressor or turbine can usually eliminate the part throttle surging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the other thing the "BOV" helps with is the pressure spike in the intercooler when you drop the throttle from WOT.

I have one, I didn't get it for the sound, I got it for the physics.

The argument that "these cars didn't have them from the factory, so they don't need them ever" does not hold water....

(back under my rock..)

Bob

I ran one for years on Nasty Wendy. Mine was great at letting me know when my el cheapo coil packs and ignition modules were about to bite the dust. One half assed miss under boost and it vented. Once I put a quality coilpack and ignition module on the car it never happened again. Another thing it did was stopped my up-pipe from blowing off when I let off after a pass at the track. I did eventually fix that with a longer coupling that allowed my clamp to bite down behind the rolled bead rather than on it. I am uncertain as to whether or not I'll use one on The Phoenix.....probably not but that may change.

I have one, and it was on the car before I put the manual trans in. If you don't run a maf, you can put one on any way you like. If you run a maf, you have to recircluate the air back into the system after the maf. Any air the maf measures needs to go through the motor. There is no downside to running a BOV other than cost, and they aren't that bad.

If I was road racing and had to rapidly open and close the throttle Id run one for sure. The valve has to be setup to work properly for the type of driving and desired effect. I've seen them leak boost under power and cause a bunch of other problems. If you are getting surge at wot then the engine can't swallow the air and the turbo isn't running anywhere near where it should be. Anything that has fast response or requires lower drive pressures to obtain a high pressure ratio will typically surge at part throttle. The compressor is trying to move x amount of air but it isn't making it into the engine. Switching compressor or turbine can usually eliminate the part throttle surging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kind of like I said in post 11 and post 7.

Kind of like I said in post 11 and post 7.

Back in the day, I had a PT-52 that used to surge so bad it scared the hell out of everyone! I LOVED IT! I used to drive it down Main street with the dump open between two walls of buildings and the sound would bounce off all the buildings on both sides. It sounded like a alien spacecraft from the planet Turbine! People would think we were under attack!

I would tip-in and out off the throttle and hold it a it's best surge points. I did this for almost 2 years. I did it every time I wanted to scare the crap out of someone. I did it whenever I had a new passenger in the car. Back then my car was my daily driver. I used it in all weather. Who remembers? Anyone?

The turbo was traded in for a Turbonetics 70. Jack Cotton put it on someone else's car. For all I know it's still spooling up today.

I couldn't break that thing.....and I tried! No blow-off!

Back