You can type here any text you want

Blower Conversion?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

85TurboGN

Hey guys im just getting into this whole buick thing and i was wondering if anybody has ever put a Pontiac GPX blower on a 85 3.8 buick motor? Let me know what yall think. I know i cant be the only one to have thought of this!

Are you talking about the newer Series 2 superchargers? Like on the 98-200x GTPs?

Cool idea! Keith Mease had put a supercharger on a red trans am and it ran pretty good-I think it also had alky!

If I remember correctly, the block deck heights are different as is the intakes, etc. It is not possible to bolt a Series 2 Supercharger on top of these LC2 motors.

Thanks guys! So is there any other supercharger that will built on to a 3.8 other than procharger?

Thanks guys! So is there any other supercharger that will built on to a 3.8 other than procharger?

None that I know of. There may be someone making one, but I highly doubt it. We would have heard about it by now.

it is entirely possible to swap one of those blowers over. all you need is the adapter plate and the drive.

but its not generally of the GM Eaton Style unless you want EFI.

Generally, the most popular "little blower" is the eaton from the 93 or so ford T-birds. it has better seal clearances for carbed use or wet flow. I carry the parts to swap this onto the early block. but mind you, the DRIVE is not cheap.

but the GM style one can be converted if EFI was the end goal. But it will require your direct participation for correct fitment.

I myself run the aftermarket style of roots blower, or the Weiand/B&M 144 CI roots unit. The torque is unreal, but the top end has alot to offer. on pump gas at 15lbs of boost im at 34% efficeincy....... flat terrible.
But I was able to offset this by the use of E85. which turns my efficency ratio to a much healthier 65%. Heat is the Blowers biggest enemy.

I have a very good friend who runs a truck just like mine, his although was of the centrifugal type of supercharger on his buick. He reported that the losses associated with the drive of the supercharger far outweighed the benifits. swapped to a turbo and picked up quite a bit of speed and power.

so in the end? the turbo is better off on the buick... particularly if its in a somewhat stock configuration. While the blower makes ungoddly low end torque, control is very difficult and you waste more time blowing the tires and chassis away then launching if your not set for the power.

I run a blower cause I street race mostly, and my tracks are generally about a city block long, so a hard 60ft is basicly most of the race. and the instant torque and low end allow me to peacock my street scene. a wheel stand on the street is a mighty deterrent to cheap kids and non serious racers.

b57.jpg

A.j.

Thanks I was wanting to end up with EFI what blower did you say was best for that?

any of the 3800 series superchargers will work for the EFI. Pontiac GTP, Buick, etc etc.

But for EFI only,

Wet flowing one of these units usually results in seal failure, so no TBI or carbs atop of the unit.

A.j.

have never dynoed

so I guesstimate around 425 - 450 hp

fairly stock 3.8, 4% overdriven, 144ci weiand snupercharger with competition seals.

A.j.

What all do you need to make one of these swaps?

I carry the parts to set up the aftermarket style of blower and would need to re-machine others for an eaton, but both requires the engine be set up much like an stock 87.

A special adapter plate and drive are all thats really needed from there. The one part that isnt really special and just expensive is the required Champion Lower intake. The stockers aluminum quality is substandard and the blower will pull out of the threads under any kind of serious belt tension.

The big question I have is weather my exsisting kit would actually fit in the engine compartment of a regal. my kit was designed with a Chevy Luv body in mind.

The Eaton wouldnt be much more to setup, however you would need to develop a new adapter plate to correctly position the blower for ease of drive and compartment clearance. There needs to be a body to test fit the system correctly for G-body use.

boiled down:
86/87 assec. drive
lower blower pulley
blower drive
champion intake
adapter plate

EFI system and controls would be up to you from there on.... as I deal with carbs only.

A.j.

I dont have a website,

and since I sell the parts I have to refrain from pics as I dont want to upset the mods.

if you would like to do something like this, PM me and I can give you my number and we can exchange info off-site.

A.j.

Does anybody have any pictures of this swap? i am very interested and would like to see some pictures or more info on anything that has to do with this subject?

Back