You can type here any text you want

blown head gasket

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

black hole

I recently bought a second 87 GN with a blown head gasket to fix and sell. Its a nice 68k original pant, window sticker, and all the books in the glove box. I was going to install felpro 9441 head gaskets and ARP head bolts, my question is in regards to the quality and reliability of these parts on a stock GN, having not gone down this road before on one of these I thought I'd ask the forum for there advice

Thanks, Dave

Did the oil and antifreeze mix? Did the car have an adjustable wastegate? What caused it to blow?

Thanks for the feedback. I plan on pulling the heads tomorrow or Thursday. There was no coolant/oil mix. The car was running fine up until that last launch to 60-70 mph. Scanmaster read 0.0 knock, but spun abnormaly long on that launch and just drove it out. Did not see where the boost was when that happened. (boost set to17-18 with some creep) When he stopped the car was running rough and smoke was puffing out of the breathers. Compression tests results were 150 psi on all cylinders but #3 which had 40 psi. I'm hoping that because it happened so quickly that he just pushed out the head gasket and the compression is going into the valley puffing out the breathers. Either way if its cracked rings or a hole in a piston, I guess I will start by removing the heads. I said the car was stock but it does have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, walbro fuel pump, hotwire, adjustable wastegate, tt chip,no exhaust except for stock down pipe and et streets 235/60/15. Back to my question, will 9441 gaskets be reliable for this setup? I'm going to put this car up for sale as soon as it's done. Priced to move quick. However I want to make the repair with some integrity and if the 9441's are no good or if people with relatively stock cars have had problems with them that would be great to know. I will put 1000's on if that is what the car needs but I already have a set of 9441's.

ABSOLUTELY! The 9441 head gaskets only have one flaw, in that if you do find it blown, pull the oil pan and clean the graphite off of the pick-up screen. THey usually blow into the lifter valley and take a fair amount of graphite with it, which ends up in the oil pan. I personally don't like the 1000 Felpro head gaskets. They were specific to a iron headed 4.1 StageII engine. The diameter is too big causing end gas issues. THey will cause the 8445 heads to flex att eh fire ring on the intake side. I use to use them many years ago and they only worked if I had the decks of the heads pinned to support the fire ring, and I would trim the paper off the gasket matching the 9441 lay-out to increase load bearing. Not worth the hassle. I would also suggest a set of ARP bolts in leiu of studs for ease of install, too.

Is it ok to reuse ARP studs ? :confused: Or should they be changed out like you would with bolts ? If so why use studs??:confused:

ARP studs and bolts are re-useable. They are not torque to yield. I have re-used GM bolts, too in a pinch, and the car ran a 10.70. (TTA) I would not suggest it, but I think there was a service bulletin 20 years ago that stated the factory bolts (SPS) are re-useable, too. ARP is still the better choice. Anyone else remember that service bulletin?

I think there was a service bulletin 20 years ago that stated the factory bolts (SPS) are re-useable, too. ARP is still the better choice. Anyone else remember that service bulletin?

I remember it. I have reused factory head bolts with no problems. :)

Thanks , I guess I won't be buying new studs.:smile:

Back