Blown HG, build advise needed

NM Tom

Well I joined the club. Engine has 110k miles and never has been opened. Ran a compression test and here is what I got,
1-125psi
2-125psi
3-140psi
4-0psi...oh my!
5-130psi
6-125psi

There is NO water in the oil or oil in the coolant, oil and plugs all are clean. I would assume I blew #4 into the lifter valley as I get oil out both breathers if the engine is running. You can hear 4's compression being leaked while running. I ran these compression nubers with the engine cold. My idle oil pressure is 25psi, cruise 50+, WOT 70+.

Here is what I'm planning. Pull the engine and install a new roller set-up and champion irons. Do you all think my rotating assembly is in good enough shape to leave it be? It does have 110k on it, but never ran over stock boost levels for 90k of it. Thanks for the input!

Well I joined the club. Engine has 110k miles and never has been opened. Ran a compression test and here is what I got,
1-125psi
2-125psi
3-140psi
4-0psi...oh my!
5-130psi
6-125psi

There is NO water in the oil or oil in the coolant, oil and plugs all are clean. I would assume I blew #4 into the lifter valley as I get oil out both breathers if the engine is running. You can hear 4's compression being leaked while running. I ran these compression nubers with the engine cold. My idle oil pressure is 25psi, cruise 50+, WOT 70+.

Here is what I'm planning. Pull the engine and install a new roller set-up and champion irons. Do you all think my rotating assembly is in good enough shape to leave it be? It does have 110k on it, but never ran over stock boost levels for 90k of it. Thanks for the input!

wow, 0psi!!! i would say if ur gonna spend the money on the heads and cam, engine will be out and apart, why not do the bottom end as well. at least some forged pistons and slap a girdle on the crank so u can take full advantage of ur champion irons! it all depends on the budget and goals for the car. just my .02!

wow, 0psi!!! i would say if ur gonna spend the money on the heads and cam, engine will be out and apart, why not do the bottom end as well. at least some forged pistons and slap a girdle on the crank so u can take full advantage of ur champion irons! it all depends on the budget and goals for the car. just my .02!

I agree with johnnyttype, check out what you have when you open it up. Then start buying parts.

Hg's!!

I just went through this myself. I agree with pulling it and then ordering parts. I was on a tighter budget than you. I ported the heads and intake. I stepped up to a 6152 from a te44. Dumped the stock converter for a PTC (Thanx Dusty). I went with the rjc hg's. I did leave the stock cam, and added a double roller timing chain. I blew #1 into the lifter valley like you. I was very pleased to find everything in good order, and I believe you will too. I pulled the pan to have a look. I did go ahead with a rear main since I was there considering mine was "sweating from all the horsepower I was making"!:biggrin: I read that last one in a thread on here about a week ago and am still laughing about it. Anyways good luck, and I'm sure any mods you make will be worth it in the end!

I just went through this myself. I agree with pulling it and then ordering parts. I was on a tighter budget than you. I ported the heads and intake. I stepped up to a 6152 from a te44. Dumped the stock converter for a PTC (Thanx Dusty). I went with the rjc hg's. I did leave the stock cam, and added a double roller timing chain. I blew #1 into the lifter valley like you. I was very pleased to find everything in good order, and I believe you will too. I pulled the pan to have a look. I did go ahead with a rear main since I was there considering mine was "sweating from all the horsepower I was making"!:biggrin: I read that last one in a thread on here about a week ago and am still laughing about it. Anyways good luck, and I'm sure any mods you make will be worth it in the end!

That's good to hear. Don't really have the cash to go through and build the short block the way I would like to right now so I'm hoping once opened everthing is fine. Motor still can run on 5 right now without any strange noise aside from the dead cylinder. Was a great running motor, I just wonder how much more life she has in her!

That's good to hear. Don't really have the cash to go through and build the short block the way I would like to right now so I'm hoping once opened everthing is fine. Motor still can run on 5 right now without any strange noise aside from the dead cylinder. Was a great running motor, I just wonder how much more life she has in her!

Who knows? For me and my goals I just don't see any reason for going through the bottom end. If and when the bottom end goes I will then look into a stroked 4.1!:D Keep us posted, I think you'll find your bottom end is fine. Keep us posted.