Bought a new Cobra.

stock everything else runs consistant 9.80's

I find that time very hard to believe. If you had said 10.80's I might believe it...but consistent 9.80's with a few bolt ons and a 100 shot? Somebody's dreaming.

Originally posted by Stock?
There's a guy out hre in L.I., w/ a black 03, intake ,pulley,90/10's , rear control arms,tremec pro shifted 5spd 3pc Bogart wheels, hidden NOS,hits it w/100 shot,stock everything else runs consistant 9.80's ,if you saw this thing you'd peg it for an 11.5 daily driver, scary!

My guess is that car has a Kenne Bell Blower on it. The stock blower is good until 460HP at the wheels. At least that is what I have read on the Mustang Boards.

Originally posted by Stock?
There's a guy out hre in L.I., w/ a black 03, intake ,pulley,90/10's , rear control arms,tremec pro shifted 5spd 3pc Bogart wheels, hidden NOS,hits it w/100 shot,stock everything else runs consistant 9.80's ,if you saw this thing you'd peg it for an 11.5 daily driver, scary!

My guess is that car has a Kenne Bell Blower on it. The stock blower is good until 460HP at the wheels. At least that is what I have read on the Mustang Boards.

Originally posted by efi-street
I raced an '00 SS with long tubes, full exhaust, and pretty much all the bolt ons (no cam/heads) plus a 150 shot and pulled him to 140 from a roll with a passenger in my car. Yeah, you're right, the Cobras just can't hang. :rolleyes:

Does your cobra have all the bolt-on's and run atleast 120+ traps in a 1/4? If not, The ls1 was not on the bottle. An ls1 with bolt on's, plus a 150 shot is a 123-125 trap car, regardles if it is an auto or 6 speed.

Originally posted by blackshoebox
Does your cobra have all the bolt-on's and run atleast 120+ traps in a 1/4? If not, The ls1 was not on the bottle. An ls1 with bolt on's, plus a 150 shot is a 123-125 trap car, regardles if it is an auto or 6 speed.

Oh yeah, I forgot, you were there. I don't go by what a car is SUPPOSED to run. I was talking from an actual event. After doing some more checking, he was running a 100 shot that night. Here is a pic of the engine on his car:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/85062681/85064750zPidKK
As per his posts on the LS1 board, he was around 440 rwhp at the time of the race. I got the jump on him and he came by me at just over 140 mph. Like I said...An air filter was my ONLY mod at the time. I still fail to see the dominance of the LS1.

Oh yeah, I forgot, you were there. I don't go by what a car is SUPPOSED to run. I was talking from an actual event. After doing some more checking, he was running a 100 shot that night. Here is a pic of the engine on his car:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/85062681/85064750zPidKK
As per his posts on the LS1 board, he was around 440 rwhp at the time of the race. I got the jump on him and he came by me at just over 140 mph. Like I said...An air filter was my ONLY mod at the time. I still fail to see the dominance of the LS1.

Now your story is changing?? :rolleyes: Classic, kill story on the internet. Incorrect info, along with important variables not included in the story. For example, you said you raced a ls1, with 150 shot and bolt-ons, and pulled him till 140,with a filter only cobra(presumably heads up). The real story is you jumped an ls1, with a 100 shot and bolt-ons, and he ran you down, from lets say a few cars back, and came by you, which means he has a faster car then you, since you got the head start, and he past you. If your car was "faster" he would have never passed you, unless you ran out of gearing for the speeds you guys were racing to..

Not to bash you, i just took the opertunity to make an example of you, since you perfectly illistrated the problem with kill stories or stories used to compare two cars on the internet.

As for LS1's being superior, I feel the cars are evenly matched. A full bolt-on cobra vs. a full bolt-on ls1(nitrous is a bolt on) will be a good race. Result depending on driver skill and traction.

My point was to show that the above statement of the fords still not being able to keep up was crap. His $2500 or so in mods vs my $80 air filter fails to show me how the LS1 is superior.

Let the 03 Cobra's make more power. The LS1 I wrench on will wait for them at the finish line, while the Cobra sits and spins.... Power isn't everything, you know :)

posted by Crazy87GN
IMO ford had to supercharge their engine to keep up with the famous ls1 and they still can't even keep up.........cobra :rolleyes:
Waawaaawaaaaaaa...:D
'03/'04 Cobras aren't having any problems keeping up with LS1's, in fact, they're as far out on LS1's as LS1's were on the previous generation Cobras. GM had to turbocharge a V6 to keep from getting their butt kicked by 5.0's in the mid-late '80's, you obviously have no problem with that.
posted by Stock?
There was a vidoe of that car circulating the 'net. In it, he pulled the front wheels...on the street and was freaking gone.
posted by slim
I find that time very hard to believe. If you had said 10.80's I might believe it...but consistent 9.80's with a few bolt ons and a 100 shot? Somebody's dreaming.
The shop that dyno'd my car has a package that will make 450-460rwhp with a pulley/chip and MAF. The owner's car ran 11.7@121 with that package with nothing more than a set of 16" ET Streets with a set of 18" front wheels. A more aggressive pulley, suspension work, skinnies and a few pounds of weight reduction would easily put that in the low-11's/high-10's. Add a 100-shot on top of it (and the '03's are responding very well even to small 35-40 shots), and I'd believe 9.8's under the right conditions and tune.
posted by Sweet6
My guess is that car has a Kenne Bell Blower on it. The stock blower is good until 460HP at the wheels.
Guys are making over 500rwhp with the stock Eaton and running low-11's on a regular basis in full weight cars.
posted by blackshoebox
And all bolt-on LS1's with a button will run 123-125mph, right? 120+mph Cobras are a dime-a-dozen. See above. Pulley/chip and sometimes a MAF or CAI and you'll see 450+rwhp and ~120mph traps. Add in a catback, larger HE and a few other minor changes and mid-120's are common.
posted by blackshoebox
The real story is you jumped an ls1, with a 100 shot and bolt-ons, and he ran you down, from lets say a few cars back, and came by you, which means he has a faster car then you, since you got the head start, and he past you. If your car was "faster" he would have never passed you, unless you ran out of gearing for the speeds you guys were racing to..
Who said the LS1 passed him? Who said he jumped the LS1? Who said he ran out of gearing? You weren't there...you didn't see the race...you don't know the outcome, or the cars or the drivers.
Not to bash you, i just took the opertunity to make an example of you, since you perfectly illistrated the problem with kill stories or stories used to compare two cars on the internet.
Maybe you should put aside your preconceived notion of what you think should happen on the street.

Some people can't respect anything not GM.
:rolleyes:
S.

My point was to show that the above statement of the fords still not being able to keep up was crap. His $2500 or so in mods vs my $80 air filter fails to show me how the LS1 is superior.

If you want to talk $$$, your purchase price is atleast $2500 high if not more then an ls1. I do agree with you though, as I previously stated, I feel the cars are evenly matched.

Snorman..

Based on the trend of this thread, if you feel the need to debate this more, feel free to email me..I give credit were credits due(and have in this thread), but refuse to bow down to cobra's, like most cobra owners would like. I have no reason too in my particular case, since I have a TSM GN and 11 second ls1 @ my disposal if one of the local cobra boys wants to put some money where there mouth is. :D ;)

End of discussion for me.

Keep this civil or it will get closed quickly.

Are they "bolting on" a Heads and a cam?

118-120 mph, sure.

I think you are confusing the guys whose cars weigh 3100lbs and race 3 times a week with the average bolt on/150 shot LS1.

125 mph with headers and bolt ons and the guy REALLY needs to know what he is doing.

Most don't.

For every 125 mph "150 shot" guy there are ten 118 mph "150 shot" guys.

Originally posted by UNGN
Are they "bolting on" a Heads and a cam?

118-120 mph, sure.

I think you are confusing the guys whose cars weigh 3100lbs and race 3 times a week with the average bolt on/150 shot LS1.

125 mph with headers and bolt ons and the guy REALLY needs to know what he is doing.

Most don't.

For every 125 mph "150 shot" guy there are ten 118 mph "150 shot" guys.

There are inconsistancys in set-ups from person to person, even the type of nitrous kit you have effects the overall performance regardless of the shot.(some kits are rated differently) 118 traps with bolt-ons and 150 shot, means there is something wrong, IMO. I know of atleast 5 local cars with bolt-ons and nitrous going over 122 mph traps, I guess they know what they are doing.

Re: Snorman..

Keep this civil or it will get closed quickly.

That's just fine. If you are wondering where this got off track, see Crazy87GN's post above. This was a thread about someone buying a new Cobra and people congratulating him.
So, while you're handing out warnings, give credit where it's due there too.

Re: Re: Snorman..

That's just fine. If you are wondering where this got off track, see Crazy87GN's post above. This was a thread about someone buying a new Cobra and people congratulating him.
So, while you're handing out warnings, give credit where it's due there too.

It was a "blanket" statement to everyone. Sorry if you misinterupted that, I can see how that could happen.

:)

Re: Re: Re: Snorman..

It was a "blanket" statement to everyone. Sorry if you misinterupted that, I can see how that could happen.

:)

No worries. Now back to your regularly scheduled Buick talk.

There was a used one on svtperformance.com a couple of months ago for $24k in California.
There was one on there for $27k with the KB supercharger already installed just a few weeks ago.

Ah, the close-minded arrive!
I can't believe the same ol' arguments still float around after all these years. Power is power, plain and simple! There is no magic motor that makes huge amounts of power in a different way than everyone else. The LS1 has 65 more cubes and higher compression... that's a lot. The Cobra has a blower to make up for the displacement and compression deficiency. What's the big deal? As was mentioned before, the 231 V6 needs a turbo to keep up with anything. :eek:
I think the LS1 and Cobra are a good match, when they're both modified. Bolt-on for bolt-on, I gotta give it to the Cobra. There are many bolt-on LS1s in the low/mid 11's, but they are lightweight automatic cars, with huge stall converters. Not my cup of tea, but different strokes for different folks. If you include nitrous in the bolt-on category for LS1s, as someone did earlier, then you have to do the same for the Cobra. Full bolt-on, stock blower Cobras are running in the 10s on spray.
I guess you could sum this argument up in a single statement... who gives a sh*t?! They're both amazing motors. I know that I'll never reconsider trading my '00 SS for my Cobra. I'm sure many people feel exactly the opposite. That's the point of having different cars to choose from!

I kinda don't see what the whole point of ls1 vs cobra is going.

Both are quick and if out on the street it will probibly depend upon the driver.

And on the track it would be the same thing.So why don't we argue about something that matters like which drivers are better ford or chevy.
:D