You can type here any text you want

Brand new 153 (4.1) on centre stage 2 block

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

oldtimer

Looking for advice and input from the Stage 2 engine builders

I'm about to embark on having my brand new stage 2 block built for low 9's or better. Is there any special preparation other than the usual race stuff I should be made aware of. I'll be using a new Motorsport crank (3.625) Any special machining to the block for oiling etc. other than clearancing for the crank to block and camshaft ? I realize I'll have to mill the front cover .120 thou.

All suggestions are welcome. Engine will see 7000 rpm plus.

I'll be using the new TA aluminum heads and BG intake.

Thanks !

My advice,Would be to let an expierienced Buick race engine builder do the work for you,Its an expensive investment(block,crank,and rods,etc...) to give to someone who doesnt know the ins and outs.
There are plenty of them in the states,but not sure about Canada
RPE,Cal Hartline,Billy Anderson....

If it's a virgin block, you have quite a bit of machining in store. Aside from the usual stage2 machining (lifter oil feed, d/s oil galley feed, etc..), if you have a late model 153 you need to plug a couple of coolant passages in the deck or you'll have coolant leaks with the T/A heads.

I agree with Otto, you need to find someone experienced to build it vs. trying to get advice from the internet. I would add DLS to the list he already gave you.

Now John that was pure humor. He might be able to handle such a task.
Take care, Kip

Kip,

I thought you would like that.
I hope you and yours had a nice holiday.

Do you think people know my Avatar is Duttweiler?

I would say most people do not know. Now thinking about it I wonder how many people thought that was you?
See ya, Kip

Now that is funny, Kenny is about 36 years older than me!
I think he has more hair though!:mad:

Do you have the BG oncenter intake yet? Just curious because I have one for sale. I've decided to go with stage 2 heads instead, so now I'm looking to sell this intake.

Jason

Postal

Yes I do. Thanks for the offer though. I've been collecting pieces for this motor over the last 4 years. I also have a set of aluminum stage heads.

Originally posted by HighPSI
if you have a late model 153 you need to plug a couple of coolant passages in the deck or you'll have coolant leaks with the T/A heads.

Cal, is this only with the TA heads ? Haven't heard this mentioned with any other heads.

Paul

No, it can leak with other heads, too. I have only seen it on the 153 block with the 1/2NPT hole on the d/s front of the block. These blocks have 6 coolant holes in the deck above the cylinders instead of 4. The outer 2 holes need to be plugged.

???????

Originally posted by oldtimer
Postal

Yes I do. Thanks for the offer though. I've been collecting pieces for this motor over the last 4 years. I also have a set of aluminum stage heads.

If it's "on order" from BGC, AKA Southern Customs, be prepared to wait another 4 yrs... while "it's being finish machined" or about a 1000 other excuses.:rolleyes:

Re: ???????

Originally posted by Chuck Leeper
If it's "on order" from BGC, AKA Southern Customs, be prepared to wait another 4 yrs... while "it's being finish machined" or about a 1000 other excuses.:rolleyes:

Hey Chuck,

Believe it or not, I ordered my BG intake just before BGC changed to Southern Customs. John told me he had one on the shelf and would send it out right away.

Well, I had heard about all the problems guys were having and decided to call John for myself to check it out.

Intake arrived 8 days later ...... yes you heard me right, 8 days later !! what, I couldn't believe it. We Canadians quite frequently have to wait long periods of time receiving goods from the U.S. due to customs clearing etc. so this short wait was nearly unbelievable from any perspective.

Maybe John likes Canadians ??? Go figure !

I've had this intake on my shelf in the shop for nearly 4 years
now!

For those who are wondering how I'm making out with my Stage 2 build, Cal Hartline will be doing it for me.

No, it can leak with other heads, too. I have only seen it on the 153 block with the 1/2NPT hole on the d/s front of the block. These blocks have 6 coolant holes in the deck above the cylinders instead of 4. The outer 2 holes need to be plugged.

Cal, I wish I'd remembered this piece of info. I just had this happen with Stage heads and now need to plug the outer holes. Is this a simple drill and tap for a 7/16" pipe plug?

Art

If the engine is already assembled, I would just put a couple of feeze plugs in them until the next rebuild. They can't come out with the cylinder head on top of them. Otherwise, just tap and plug them like you planned.

If the engine is already assembled, I would just put a couple of feeze plugs in them until the next rebuild. They can't come out with the cylinder head on top of them. Otherwise, just tap and plug them like you planned.

On 2 seperate blocks, I have found the holes not perfectly round so a cup plug wouldnt work, they were also too big to tap properly with a pipe tap. I used a 1/2" pipe tap and ran the pipe plugs in deep (about .250 below the deck) and covered the top of them with hard block then machined the deck. Several different ways to do it.

Originally posted by oldtimer
Looking for advice and input from the Stage 2 engine builders

. . . All suggestions are welcome. Engine will see 7000 rpm plus.

I'll be using the new TA aluminum heads and BG intake.

Thanks !

Conley's Performance Plus has a lot of exp. in guilding Stage II motors. (not close to canada though):)

As a follow-up to the extra water port situation, I plugged them yesterday: ran a reamer down each hole so a 1/2" pipe tap could easily engage, and ran the tap deep enough to sink pipe plugs.

In case anyone who doesn't know actually cares about this minutia, the surface diameter of each water port varied no less than 0.010" depending on where it is measured and not all the holes were identical in their max diameters (mine ranged from 0.631-0.643 max hole-to-hole).

Thanks to Cal and Bill for their responses here and to Todd and Brent for private counseling. ;)

Were these extra ports in anticipation of a proposed change to a
reverse cooling system design at GM that never happened?

Art

Back