Buick 3100 with TWIN turbo's

57TurboVW

Will TURBO anything
I just installed twin turbo's on my 3100 buick motor that is in my 4 seat TATUM sand car. went from WOW fast to OH MY GOD crazy fast. here are a couple of pictures during the fabrication. will put up some completed pictures soon

Attachments

• twin turbo sandrail 2.jpg
    twin turbo sandrail 2.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 430
  • twin turbo sand rail.jpg
    twin turbo sand rail.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 1,594
Looks nice, but you do know thats not a buick motor right? i think chevy designed it actually, common in the malibu's and such.

but is NOT a Buick Motor. Its a Chevy 6 based on the old 2.8. No parts in common with the Buick 6.

damn man thats a fast ass bug. got any pics of that thing? I worked on watercooled vw's for a while......a friend just turbo'd a 2.0 crossflow in a 01 wolfsburg.

as promised pictures of the completed project

Attachments

• twin turbo sandrail 5.jpg
    twin turbo sandrail 5.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 326
  • twin turbo sandrail 6.jpg
    twin turbo sandrail 6.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 273
I bet that thing boogies like there is no tomorrow. Can't help but wonder if a Y collector for the pipes off the turbo would make it breath easier. In any case, bet it hauls a$$.

that intake was a quick deal just to get it to the dunes. I'm working on a 10" x 18" x 4" inter-cooler to become a part of a wing that will sit above the motor.

as far as hauling ass well it carries the front tires at will. and made 326HP and 245 ft/lbs torque at the rear tires with only 8 psi boost. when I get the inter-cooler installed and turn teh boost up to 18 psi it should be a rocket ship.

18psi :eek: Be weary of the durability of a chevy 3100. Let us know how it goes for sure.

57TurboVW said:
If my little VW motor can handle 32 psi I think the little 3100 will be ok with 18.
Thats about like comparing carrots to banannas, so they are both long and skinny... There are ton of differences between the two, though not saying that the 3.1 won't hold up but comparing an aircooled, flat 4 to a liquid cooled V6 made by GM in some of its darkest reliablity days its not a good comparason.

sand rail in my shorts

I'm just curious to know how much abuse those trick (and I'm sure expensive) trans axles you sand rail guys are using behind those turbo'd up small blocks and such would tollerate in a vehicle that weighed more than 37 lbs?Iknow thost rails are feather weights(and look like an absolute blast to drive).

good luck with that setup...the 3100 motor is all kinds of problems from intake manifold to fuel injectors and all sorts of cooling problems

nice project nonetheless! :D

BIG HEAD CHRIS said:
I'm just curious to know how much abuse those trick (and I'm sure expensive) trans axles you sand rail guys are using behind those turbo'd up small blocks and such would tollerate in a vehicle that weighed more than 37 lbs?Iknow thost rails are feather weights(and look like an absolute blast to drive).

i'm currently using a Meneola 5 speed. its rated at 800 hp. as far as the rail being light ?? that I guess depends on ones definition of light mine weighs 1800 pounds plus the weight of 4 adults (as much as another900 pounds)

he's not heavy......

It's still not exactly heavy.Do those transaxles (i'm asuming)require a custom bell housing adapter?