Buick GNX #475 at Barrett Jackson: How much will it sell for?

How much will GNX #475 Sell for?

• Under $60,000

Votes: 16 13.7%
  • $60,000 - $70,000

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • $70,000 - $80,000

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • $80,000 - $90,000

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • $90,000 - $100,000

Votes: 14 12.0%
  • Over $100,000

Votes: 17 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TurboRegal84

Staff member
Buick GNX #475 is going to be sold at Barrett Jackson this year. The lot # is 1562 and it will be going through the auction on Sunday. Place a Vote in the poll as to how much you think it will sell for! It appears that the last GNX to be sold at Barrett Jackson was over 10 years ago!

Here are details from the Barrett Jackson site:

Summary: #475 of the 547 originally built. Only 267 original miles. Includes all original paperwork like the Window Sticker and ASC/McLaren letter. Also included is the coveted GNX jacket.

Details: Its 1987 and Buick Motor Division has decided to blow away the competition. Of the 10,000 Grand Nationals built, 547 were chosen to be sent to ASC/McLaren for a high performance upgrade. The idea was a combination of basic performance platforms along with the latest electronics and Turbo charging. The result, the ultimate muscle car, the 1987 Buick GNX. This prime example of this classic has 267 actual miles on the odometer. It is #475 of the 547 originally built. This vehicle has a Garrett Aireserach Turbo matched with the PROM computer chip to enhance fuel mix, spark control and boost characteristics and transmission functions. The sequential fuel injection (SFI) system was designed and installed by Buick and then fitted with special bearings, shot-peened rods and a high rpm valvetrain. This offering has all original paperwork from the Window Sticker and the ASC/McLaren letter, to the coveted GNX jacket and limited matching numbered GNX book. Does 0-60mph in 4.7 seconds and second only to the Porsche 911 Turbo cabriolet in production vehicles of 1987. This is a must have for any true muscle car enthusiast or collector.

Attachments

• 475-1.JPG
    475-1.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 2,996
  • 475-2.JPG
    475-2.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 2,555
  • 475-3.JPG
    475-3.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 2,808
Being offered on Sunday will hold this car back. I would not be surprised to see the seller have to buy the car back to protect his investment. Look for BJ to go back to a reserve format after this year. The competing auction houses in Scottsdale have a better crop of cars due to the sellers not having to worry about giving their cars away at no reserve.

This particular GNX has been for sale for about 2 years and has been on e-bay multiple times. The highest it was ever bid up to was the last time it was on there and that was just over $71K. Car was most recently priced $82,999 and was for sale for $79999 + TTL etc. There are some more detailed pics of the car still on the dealer website for now. Bonham Texas Dodge Dealers - Bonham Chrysler Home Page Click on classics and collectibles. It's the 5th car down. Click on window sticker and it will bring up some detailed pics. I can post the pics if they take them down. Check out the undercarriage pics especially. Going through on Sunday will not help, but as long as a super rusty undercarriage on a 267 mile car is not important to the buyer it should do well.

Going through on Sunday will not help, but as long as a super rusty undercarriage on a 267 mile car is not important to the buyer it should do well.

I didn't see the undercarriage.. Def would kill the car to me.. Mine had 2600 miles and cobwebs :p
OH no way would I BUY my own car back !!!:mad: although it doesn't matter because I wouldn't deal with them anyway:rolleyes: wonder if they upp'd their fees ??? Use to be 8% for both :eek: talk about a racket.. and NO RESERVE :eek: ya right:p

I like the pic. of the engine bay, to lazy to even wipe the dust off everything.

And I SURE didn't know this:: system was designed and installed by Buick and then fitted with special bearings, shot-peened rods and a high rpm valvetrain.

And I SURE didn't know this:: system was designed and installed by Buick and then fitted with special bearings, shot-peened rods and a high rpm valvetrain.

and here I am thinking I knew everything about GNXs:mad: :eek:

Typically If a car is kept in a climate controlled garage from new that surface rust will never happen. If a car is kept in a detached outside garage with no climate control and it's in a region with extreme temps (cold winters/hot summers) this will happen to any raw untreated metal on any car. I've seen cars that had less then 1K on them and the entire under carriage looked like it sat in water all it's life. I guess at one time this was a car up north and spent some winters in a outside garage. You can also see this on this GNX as there is moisture drip marks all over everything underneath as well.

All that will clean right up pretty easy with some paint and you'll never know but doing all that work needs to reflect the price as well. With this economy who knows what it could go for. :eek:

Typically If a car is kept in a climate controlled garage from new that surface rust will never happen. If a car is kept in a detached outside garage with no climate control and it's in a region with extreme temps (cold winters/hot summers) this will happen to any raw untreated metal on any car. I've seen cars that had less then 1K on them and the entire under carriage looked like it sat in water all it's life. I guess at one time this was a car up north and spent some winters in a outside garage. You can also see this on this GNX as there is moisture drip marks all over everything underneath as well.

All that will clean right up pretty easy with some paint and you'll never know but doing all that work needs to reflect the price as well. With this economy who knows what it could go for. :eek:

This GNX was originally owned in Maine. What may not show up too well in the pics is that it was apparently somewhat rusty before the little bit of rustproofing/black paint that is there was applied. In other words the black painted parts you see were/are just as rusty as what you see that is rusty, it's just been painted over.

Well if it lived in Maine and was in a detached or unheated garage that would explain why it looks like that. You can tell someone tried to touch somethings up but that almost makes no sense as they should have kept right on going with it!

I had also considered that car until I saw the underneath. What a shame. I know of an MSO car for sale with under 100 miles that looks worse than that,a lot worse.

I say the car does in the 70's looking like that and a late Sunday run number.

I offered them $75K for the car taking into consideration the amount of restoration work the undercarriage will require, but they wouldn't take it. Only reason I offered them that was because it is close. Will be interesting to see how it does at Barrett after all the fees, transportation costs, time involved etc., and if they should have taken me up on the offer. Just for comparison, here's one on e-bay with ~ the same mileage and about the same production #. From what I can tell, the overall cleanliness of the car as well as the quality of the undercarriage on #433 is a far cry from that of #475.

eBay Motors: Buick : Grand National (item 170290513925 end time Jan-05-09 10:21:15 PST)

It is tough to tell with Barrett Jackson, there always seems to be some fat rich retard with too much money that will pay way too much for anything there. I would think that the fact that a GNX hasn't crossed the block there in over 10 years (if this is fact) would help it out, even if it happens on Sunday.

Personally, I think it is totally irresponsible on the sellers behalf to try to sell with the undercarraige in that condition. All they would have to do is clean that up properly and the car would definetly pull down a decent amount. I don't care what anyone says, no one wants to spend 75,000 on something with rust on it.