Buick versus Ford Event at Noble - Oct 12th 2013

I had a Frickin blast at Buick vs Ford, car ran best yet 12.11 at 112 mph although I lost my race, met some mighty fine people as well, got to check out one Sweet little Vega and see allot of Fantastic racing....Im not great with names but I appreciate the offers of help and advice from guys i met and hope I can get back this way next year.....Bud Smith

Some of the guys here at Rubys Inn this morning

Attachments

• 20131012_074347.jpg
    20131012_074347.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 161
The final tally wasn't pretty for the Buick side, but it was fun. The fastback made two less than stellar passes,
Just before the transmission died, but I had a great time. Will, thanks for coming over and introducing yourself.

Maybe next year will be better for me. I went a 6.40 1/8 and coasted an 11.0, and a 6.50 and coasted an 11.0 with a small tuneup and a trans going out.

To paraphrase the old question "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?", so besides the one-sided score, I hope everyone had a great time attending/participating in the event and thanks for coming.

Congratulations to Team Ford for their win and thanks to Blake and his crew for sponsoring and hosting the event. I have not been to a formal event since the management change at TVRP and I was very impressed with the new track management team.

Cleaning up the car this morning and getting ready for next year. I don't want to make another walk to the tower and tell them to scratch me off the list.

Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable trip home, to Bowling Green or both.

Phil Engle

The final tally wasn't pretty for the Buick side, but it was fun. The fastback made two less than stellar passes,
Just before the transmission died, but I had a great time. Will, thanks for coming over and introducing yourself.

Maybe next year will be better for me. I went a 6.40 1/8 and coasted an 11.0, and a 6.50 and coasted an 11.0 with a small tuneup and a trans going out.

Good to meet you too, sorry about the bad luck on the trans, that's a nice car you have.

I went 11.29 in qualifying on low boost and letting out at 1000', then got matched up with Blake M so I went and fiddled with my wastegate in order to get it to open at about 18psi instead of 10-12psi. Something let go and it wouldn't make any boost, so I had to get out of it and got dusted.

Didn't get to see Phil this year, although you were pitted next to my buddy in the white Jimmy. Ran into John Plog at the concession stand but then I couldn't find him afterwards. The event was very well done, it was over so quickly it almost seemed sad not to have the 2-3 hour layover between qualifying and the driver's meeting, that's when I always caught up with old buddies. Saw QwikStop's car at Ruby's, and some other guys from Dallas that I hadn't seen in a couple years. We ended up eating and hitting the road after the event, so I didn't get to go party it up with JD, Billy, and David like I had planned to.

Was a lot of fun, I will be there next year and hopefully I'll be a littler quicker by then.

Was nice meeting some of you. I wish I had spent more time in the pits meeting more of you, but I was running around like a chicken with its head cut off. Very nerve racking for my first time. Many logistical lessons learned. Made a few mistakes that I will learn from. One, not having a longer down time to let everyone have more time to meet and greet, but overall seemed like things went smoother than I felt they did. I appreciate the out of state cars that paid for entry and didn't want it back. If it wasn't for you guys, the payout wouldn't have been possible. T-shirt sales were very slow thanks to me not ordering nearly enough 2X and 3X, so my anticipated $1000 plus in driver payout from T-shirt sales didn't happen. But thanks to participants and fan turnout, it did happen! Thanks to Jerry for handling the driver's meeting. Thanks to Stephanie for all of the great pics, flyer and T-shirt design, etc. Thanks to Dick Walker for his continued support, and for congratulating the Top 10 by the tower. Thanks for Steve and Kathy Emberton for their continued support and for baby sitting my 4 wheeler all day long. And thanks to Sarah Gordon and her crew for all of the help. I also forgot to get free shirts to everyone in the top 10. If any of the top ten want a T-shirt, please contact me so I can get a few mailed to you. One rule change for next year. All LS powered GM products will be welcome on the Buick side. Just too many new 5.0 litre Coyote Mustangs being sold and built.. to keep the race competitive. Next years race will be held during the month of October, just not sure on the date yet. Sorta tricky dodging OU/Texas, Bowling Green, among other events. November is possible, but the weather gets tricky! Let me know your preferences, cause this race will always be based on the "GN" drivers!

Good to meet you too, sorry about the bad luck on the trans, that's a nice car you have.

I went 11.29 in qualifying on low boost and letting out at 1000', then got matched up with Blake M so I went and fiddled with my wastegate in order to get it to open at about 18psi instead of 10-12psi. Something let go and it wouldn't make any boost, so I had to get out of it and got dusted.
Was a lot of fun, I will be there next year and hopefully I'll be a littler quicker by then.

It wouldn't have mattered Black Power. I actually turned mine down, but had the eboost 2 in my right hand to add another 100 HP in the push of a button, in case you tried something sneaky. ;) Check out my new signature! I play, I play:D

Was nice meeting some of you. I wish I had spent more time in the pits meeting more of you, but I was running around like a chicken with its head cut off. Very nerve racking for my first time. Many logistical lessons learned. Made a few mistakes that I will learn from. One, not having a longer down time to let everyone have more time to meet and greet, but overall seemed like things went smoother than I felt they did. I appreciate the out of state cars that paid for entry and didn't want it back. If it wasn't for you guys, the payout wouldn't have been possible. T-shirt sales were very slow thanks to me not ordering nearly enough 2X and 3X, so my anticipated $1000 plus in driver payout from T-shirt sales didn't happen. But thanks to participants and fan turnout, it did happen! Thanks to Jerry for handling the driver's meeting. Thanks to Stephanie for all of the great pics, flyer and T-shirt design, etc. Thanks to Dick Walker for his continued support, and for congratulating the Top 10 by the tower. Thanks for Steve and Kathy Emberton for their continued support and for baby sitting my 4 wheeler all day long. And thanks to Sarah Gordon and her crew for all of the help. I also forgot to get free shirts to everyone in the top 10. If any of the top ten want a T-shirt, please contact me so I can get a few mailed to you. One rule change for next year. All LS powered GM products will be welcome on the Buick side. Just too many new 5.0 litre Coyote Mustangs being sold and built.. to keep the race competitive. Next years race will be held during the month of October, just not sure on the date yet. Sorta tricky dodging OU/Texas, Bowling Green, among other events. November is possible, but the weather gets tricky! Let me know your preferences, cause this race will always be based on the "GN" drivers!

Can we maybe start later? This girl is not a morning person two hours of sleep was not enough (no I don't party, I work in trucking). Also maybe NO street tires, it was killing the starting lane. Mike with TVRP did his best to keep the track sticky but those street tires where tearing up the track bad.

The TVRP crew does a great job of keeping the track hooking. Considering the street tires, the track was good all day.

If the date is moved, keep in mind that another ford even is in October too (mods vs rods in Tulsa), and also that black powder season is at the end of the month.

Didn't get to see Phil this year, although you were pitted next to my buddy in the white Jimmy. Ran into John Plog at the concession stand but then I couldn't find him afterwards. The event was very well done, it was over so quickly it almost seemed sad not to have the 2-3 hour layover between qualifying and the driver's meeting, that's when I always caught up with old buddies. Saw QwikStop's car at Ruby's, and some other guys from Dallas that I hadn't seen in a couple years. We ended up eating and hitting the road after the event, so I didn't get to go party it up with JD, Billy, and David like I had planned to.

Sorry I missed you. Will be sure to find you next year.

Looks like you've got your car running real strong.

The TVRP crew does a great job of keeping the track hooking. Considering the street tires, the track was good all day.

If the date is moved, keep in mind that another ford even is in October too (mods vs rods in Tulsa), and also that black powder season is at the end of the month.

I think the October date is great. Weather is good and we have people get a twofer by coming here to Noble and then going to BG. Some think Texas-OK hurts us but I disagree because we don't have to fight Norman game day traffic or finding hotel space and places to eat. Record button on cable TV will take care of being able to see the game. If OU gets their butt kicked, Sooner fans probably don't want to see it anyway. Race your car or hunt Bambi is a personal choice but I think big difference in weather of early October versus late October/early November.

I finally got to run my own car in a shootout and it was a blast! It's just too bad I didn't have a little more for that Mustang. Got to put some faces with names, talked with a lot of people, got a Top Ten Qualifier plaque and then was involved in a little staging battle. I'm wondering how I could have fun and lose at the same time because losing sucks ass. I've started thinking about making some changes to the car to go a little faster next year. Look out next year Ford.

Everything was run really well Blake. The only suggestion I thought of was have the racers grouped into groups of 5 and do the "Group A" to the staging lanes, group b, etc. that way people won't get confused. Also the announcer won't have to call out each racers name and number.

And here's my personal take on the entry fee/tech card. We spend thousands on these cars, and hundreds on gas and hotels getting here to race. A lousy $30 won't make or break me. I don't mind paying it. I actually feel like last years event lockout could have been avoided by us out of state guys paying to get in, rather than the very generous ok Buick guys.

Sorry I missed you. Will be sure to find you next year.

Looks like you've got your car running real strong.

Me too, you're good company. Car ran well for its second time out at the track in this setup. Wish it would have held up in the elims, it would have been more fun. What happened with yours?

The photos are uploading now on www.stephaniejohnsonphotography.com it will take a while for all of them to upload due to there being 411 photos. You are able to order right off of the website. If there is a size you do not see that you want or something special, give me an email at hotrodstephie@me.com Again like to say thank you to everyone that came out to either race or watch. I was impressed on how many cars where there as well as people in the stands. Also big thank you to all of the sponsors for this event. Till 2014 hope I will be able to make it!