Building a 10/22 Target rifle

Project TNX

These little guns are too much. Much like our cars, there is too many mods out there for me to resist.

The only thing original on this rifle is the receiver housing, everything else is aftermarket, lol.

I got tired of shooting my 30 calibers every time me and my friends went to the range, so I decided to convert my 10/22 to a .17 Mach 2. I bought the SS barrel, heavy bolt handle conversion kit, and competition hammer and trigger kit from EABrowns. The stock is a Bell & Carlson Anschutz style. The scope is just a 6-24x44 BSA Platinum series with a set of Weaver scope rings and mounts. I topped it off with a Harris Bipod. I duracoated it WW II OD Green last night. It turned out well, I did it with a can propelled Wal Mart Airbrush gun. I had to touch up a few spots this morning that I missed because my lighting was horrid, but I'm pleased.

I will be reassembling it tonight, and I know 2 springs are going to give me fits, but if any of you have shot a stock 10/22 you know how crappy the triggers are so the hassle will be worth it. If any of you have been interested in duracoating one of your rifles, it was straight forward and easy. All in the prep, just like anything else. It flashes quick, and is dry to the touch in 20 minutes. I have painted enough stuff to know not to test out somethings hardness for quite some time, but for 8 hours of cure time it's already pretty darned hard.

17 HM2 vs. 22 ballistics:

17HM201.gif

The stock:
Anschutz_Green.jpg

Curing:

USTSSR_1.jpg

USTSSR_1_2.jpg

I'll post pics of it assembled tonight. :cool:

You are going to absolutely love the smoothness of the 17 Mach 2.
My friend did his 10/22 up like you have and he loves it. I have a New England Arms single shot Sportster with a bull barrel I have used in 25 yard rim fire competitions. I mounted an NC Star scope to it and it shoots so smooth. Gotta love the look of that miniature anti aircraft round. :D

DSC00508.jpg

That round is awesome, best ammo I used was Hornady ammo. Excellent varmint round.
DSC00510.jpg

Shoot wisely as that round travels quiet a ways.

Patrick

Mine still all stock. Had it for years and it has the Walnut stock, freakin wood is gorgeous. I must have like 5 10 round factory clips and 2 30 round clips. I need to break it out and pop off some rounds....Here squirrelly

Biggest compliant with mine is you have to use round nose bullets due to truncated type jamming. And a blister on your finger from reloading the clips...lol

The barrel bluing is getting thin is the coating a bluing alt coating or is it competion bolt assoc componenet thing?

You are going to absolutely love the smoothness of the 17 Mach 2.
My friend did his 10/22 up like you have and he loves it. I have a New England Arms single shot Sportster with a bull barrel I have used in 25 yard rim fire competitions. I mounted an NC Star scope to it and it shoots so smooth. Gotta love the look of that miniature anti aircraft round. :D

DSC00508.jpg

That round is awesome, best ammo I used was Hornady ammo. Excellent varmint round.
DSC00510.jpg

Shoot wisely as that round travels quite a ways.

Patrick

I got 700 rounds of that same ammo at a gun show last week, it's even the "first production run." I am always super rigid about firearm safety, so much that some of my old buddies didn't want me to shoot with them. What can I say, when I see a guy so drunk he can't stand holding a loaded 12 gauge, I tend to grab the gun from him and tell him "not on my watch chief, nono."

Mine still all stock. Had it for years and it has the Walnut stock, freakin wood is gorgeous. I must have like 5 10 round factory clips and 2 30 round clips. I need to break it out and pop off some rounds....Here squirrelly

Biggest compliant with mine is you have to use round nose bullets due to truncated type jamming. And a blister on your finger from reloading the clips...lol

The barrel bluing is getting thin is the coating a bluing alt coating or is it competion bolt assoc componenet thing?

The coating is a 2 part enamel as far as I can figure, but they say it holds up, so we'll see. I baby my rifles, so hopefully I won't find out, but I will use this for turkey or squirrel occasionally. It does come in the blue finish though. But really, I'd sell you my "only been shot twice" stock barrel for less than the coating or bluing would cost you.

I have 2 of them. One of them has the coolest tigerstriped wood grain. I may mod the other.

I have been involved with the shooting sports for most of my life. Mostly handguns (IPSC). Claude is a good customer and friend. Check out his site. he specializes in long gun custom stocks and does incredible work.

10/22 Stock Styles

Well, I'm done, but I don't like the contrasting greens and the bipod is too shiny. So I will be hitting both with some WWII OD Green Duracoat.

The difference of a stock trigger set and the eabrowns competition hammer and sear kit is astounding, worth every penny.

Finished_17HM2_1.jpg

Finished_17HM2_2.jpg

**Yes, it's ugly, I wanted it ugly, just monochromatic green ugly. The beautiful Bell & Carlson stock is going to made ugly sometime this weekend or next week. I want it to look like something that came out of a recently discovered WWII bunker/tomb.

This little sucker better be accurate, the cost to build it kind of snuck up on me. :eek:

Awesome DIY Target 10/22

Some very nice work that ought to be a tack driver, you have some gunsmithin skills. 15 Years ago I messed with a SS Ruger .308 K88 synthetic stock. Modified and coated the stock it was going to be my version of a Scout rifle, called it my Zuni(Indian Tribe) sniper. Redid the stock re-coated it in a desert tan textured rock with some green to mimic moss rock and then painted petroglyphs on it of Desrt BigHorn sheep, looked like the ancient originals at newspaper Rock, used a dremel and cleaned up stock to allow barrel to free float, used Brownwell's glass bedding kit. Liked this Model because of the Mauser type action.

Unlike yourself I don't have your gunsmithin skills so I Had a gunsmith shorten the barrel as short as was legally acceptable with a muzzle brake(sure made it nice to shoot), he did some sear/trigger work as I think they come about 10lbs out of the box he brought it down to around 4lbs, nice and crisp not too light of a pull/squeeze.

Put a Harris bipod like you did, it weighed right at 7lbs.with a 79.00 Redfield scope, ammo universal , short and light. Used 180 grain Failsafe ammo to dial her in, man that ammo was beautiful(almost as pretty as your 17 V-Max) black teflon coated bullet with a nickel plated casing. Not that great of a shot but out shot my friend with his expensive Remington PS 700 with Springfield sniper scope. At 100 meters 3 bullets in a circle the size of a quarter. At the time I was into Carlos Hathcock's 1 shot one kill. It was fun had less into the whole setup/gunsmithin then my friend paid for his PS rifle i. Had to do some home repair so I sold it to my bestfriend and best man as well as a HK M1 Super90 and Eygtian AK.

Nice work beautiful piece!