You can type here any text you want

Burnt fuel pump!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1chance

Hi guys, ive been fighting the low O2s for a while, and i just dropped the tank because i had checked all relays....ect. I have a hot wire kit, anyway i found that the ground wire that plugs to the top of the pump is completely burnt:eek:. This is scarey, the wire is melted, and the plug it self is melted. What can cause this, and how do i fix, also these are the number off the pump, can anyone tell me what it is? Freds Turbo said he install a XP, the #6442646...2360-187,or(107)

Fuel Pump Wiring

Hi guys, ive been fighting the low O2s for a while, and i just dropped the tank because i had checked all relays....ect. I have a hot wire kit, anyway i found that the ground wire that plugs to the top of the pump is completely burnt:eek:. This is scarey, the wire is melted, and the plug it self is melted. What can cause this, and how do i fix, also these are the number off the pump, can anyone tell me what it is? Freds Turbo said he install a XP, the #6442646...2360-187,or(107)

I posted this the other day and had no replies.
See the GM plug in the link

Anyone have this problem before ?
See link.
http://www.tomorrowstechnician.com/C...0000002018.pdf

I wonder if adding a hot wire to pump will only speed up the process.

I am getting ready to change out my sending unit and wiring (had many problems with loosing power to the pump)

Seems like its not a good design.

Im considering not hooking the hot wire back up after seeing this.

Steve

Fuel Pump Wiring

TRY THIS LINK THE OTHER DIDNT WORK ?

http://www.tomorrowstechnician.com/Content/Site301/SmartProducts/CommonCausesofE_00000002018.pdf

Steve

Maybe my computer, it's been acting up! So what did you do to fix the problem. Did your pump wires burn up, and why? Do you know what number that is i have?

Probably as the bulletin stated: loose connectors. Could have been in the plug, or at the solder joint for the neg to the hanger...

OK, the volt booster would'nt do that would it?? I have it hot wired.

Yeah i got to give this some though, it kinda scare's me to know the pump got hot enough to burn the plug, and melt the wire until all the cover came off, that pretty hot to be submerged in gas!:eek: I may have over kill, i got the Buick Roadmaster Alternator, hot wire, and volt booster. Think ill drop the volt booster.

ground

melting wires can occur for several reasons - inadequate wire size for the amperage ,,loose connection on the plug ,bad ground or bad connection to the hot on the tank and last but not least is slghtly grounded hot wire so take your pick or check them all..Unless your pump has some internal wiring issues I dont think is your problem or the volt booster in that matter..

This problem is quite common on lost of other GM vehicles. I have a buddy who maintains a fleet of caprice cabs and thats a big issue with those. He has found the number one cause of this issue to be excessive low fuel level.

if you drive around on a low tank alot it will burn those wires forsure.

A.j.

Let's take this apart one piece at a time. You replaced a burnt fuel pump, you have a burnt plug and you have a hotwire kit installed, right? Do you have a voltbooster?

Does the pump make a lot of noise when running?

Is the hotwire kit homemade?

I have seen issues with crimp connections where the wire was inserted too far into the connector and was crimped on the insulation and not the wire, check ALL crimp connections. Also, check the metal connections in the female ends of your connectors. Sometimes they are spread too far apart to make proper connections.

Something in the system is causing resistance (heat). The fuel pump has trash in it causing it to not be able to turn freely and causing heat, maybe the main power wire running from the alt. to the pump has rubbed thru the insulation somewhere and is grounding out.

idea

just a thought - make sure that hot(+) wire it is going to the positive terminal on the plug at pump and also check the pump for proper wire(polarity) hook up ..

Casper Hot wire kit, a Buick road master alt, and there are not raw sopts in wire. Also the pump is a Denso it has studs where the wire hook up, very tight. I took and put new ground wires on the frame to day, the wire seems only to get hot where the fuse go in up by the alt, it is tight also.

Didnt check volts at the pump, you mean drop tank, and plug it in, and see what it is getting? If so what am i check for High volts, or Low volts? I know it's got 9-7 volts with the car switched on (not running).

Back