Buying a GN

97GTP818

Hi, I'm new here and I might be buying a GN. I need people with experience for some guidance as to whether or not this is a decent car or not. I will be going to see it saturday. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

About the car:

1984 Buick Regal Grand National -- RUNS AND DRIVES GREAT!!!!!

Bought two years ago, was already converted to 86-87 intercooled engine. Car has 138k miles and change, the motor I am unsure of how many actual miles exist on it. I know that it runs very well from experience and does not smoke, but has a slight tap from the bottom end (i think) that goes away when the car gets warm. The scanmaster shows no knock at all during regular driving. The transmission is a BRF 200r4 (has the BRF tag) and was rebuilt a year ago by a local tech and upgraded with newer internals including a 13-vane pump, .500 boost valve, etc and has less than 3000 miles on it. Interior was rotted and floorpans were needed. Still had the Lear Siegler interior but it was ruined. I bought new full-length floorpans from Postonbuick a year ago and had them installed and sealed with rustoleum from underneath. The doors and decklid were rusted and therefore replaced with those from a Limited. Interior was upgraded to the GN interior from 85-87 to match the engine. Front suspension components upgraded with new centerlink, bushings, idler arms, etc. Recently the car had a cheap paintjob and it cleans up nicely. Besides having the starter rebuilt, a battery, alternator and the usual things like new pads and rear drums, there is a list of things that have been put on this car since I've owned it and here they are:

Walbro 340 Fuel Pump + Hotwire Kit
Adj. Fuel Pressure Regulator
New fuel lines
New Precision TE44 Turbocharger
New TE-actuator
New Racetronix 50# Delphi injectors
New TurboTweak 93 Chip for this setup
3" Terry Houston Down-pipe
3" Test-pipe (no catylitic converter)
3" MAF Pipe
Duttweiler 'Big Neck Modified' Intercooler
Scanmaster 2.1 mounted above radio
VDO Boost and Oil Pressure gauges
New carpet, headliner and visors
New fiberglass bumper fillers
New headlight bezels
AC Delco CD Player (94-01 models, has the adapter installed!)
New Infinity Reference 3 1/2's and 6x9's

Selling the car 'as-is' with no warranty implied because of it's age, modifications and parts replaced. This engine is not the original motor that came with the car, it is the more desirable intercooled engine found in the 86-87 T-Type's and Grand Nationals. The rear tires are Nitto 555r drag radials and bald, the fronts are standard 215 65 15's and have 90% tread left. This car has had the entire A/C system removed, including the condensor, but it still has heat. The heater core was replaced less than 6 monthes ago. The driver fender also sticks out a little, it may need to be re-installed. The power door-lock switches aren't working, I believe it to be only the switches though. I'm trying to be has honest as possible about this car so if you have any requests or need more detailed photos, feel free to ask.

Sounds like a fun, go fast car. I wouldn't pay too much for it. It wont have as much resale value compared to a real GN, T type, or Turbo T. Make sure it has a posi rear end, and the motor runs strong. Do you know what he runs in the 1/4 mi? I don't think I'd pay over 5000.00 for it. If the main thing you want to do is go fast, then it might be good bang for the buck.

Good luck... :)

The go fast factor is not what I'm entirely looking for. I already have a quick car but if its fast, awesome. I love GNs and I've wanted one before I had a lisence. Whenever I see one I scream, point and almost have a heart attack! He was asking 6500 originally, then down to 4k, now he's asking best cash price. I think people aren't attracted to it based on the fact that its a 84 GN converted to an 86-87. But I want one and I think this is a good deal. He says its good for 12s all day and 11s with slicks and a good driver. I don't believe this though. Then again I don't know if his parts list makes this car have that potential. Thanks for the input and keep it comin!

Yiper, those times dont sound out of line. And in answer to your question if these cars are "fast awesome", well, just look at the mods and times of the people posting here on this board. I'd say yes :D .

I basically have the same setup as that car (84 with 87 engine), sounds like you are not in it for an investment but want a fun, good looking rare car that you are able to drive everyday and not have to worry about getting a scratch on it, if that is the case go take it for a drive, if it runs strong I would say go for it, at that price you will be getting years of fun and entertainment and the never ending learning factor.

I would be willing to invest money and time to rebuild/repair. I figure this might be a decent place to start. I've done most of the mods to my GTP and I have experience with cars and working on them, so I am not just looking for something I can just buy and abuse it. Yes, I would take it to the track, but I would also treat it right because it is a GN (the best car ever IMO :biggrin: ). But these things still run strong even with high miles on them (or so it seems)? I am familiar with the 3.8 V6 and I know they're troopers when it comes to performance and longevity, but this obviously is different my s/c 3800.

97GTP818 said:
The go fast factor is not what I'm entirely looking for. I already have a quick car but if its fast, awesome. I love GNs and I've wanted one before I had a lisence. Whenever I see one I scream, point and almost have a heart attack! He was asking 6500 originally, then down to 4k, now he's asking best cash price. I think people aren't attracted to it based on the fact that its a 84 GN converted to an 86-87. But I want one and I think this is a good deal. He says its good for 12s all day and 11s with slicks and a good driver. I don't believe this though. Then again I don't know if his parts list makes this car have that potential. Thanks for the input and keep it comin!

He's right (assuming the car is running good). It'll run 12's all day and with a race tune and GOOD race gas there's no reason it shouldn't run 11's.
Mine does (same turbo and injectors on an otherwise stock motor).

Not much good as an investment, but it'll be a fun go fast car.

Are there any important questions I should ask? Ones particular to a GN and not just any old car.

Check..

The floorboards. Make sure they aren't rusted out. Look at the option code list on the trunk lid, make sure that is has all the options specified. G80 posi definitely, make sure IT HAS A POSI.
Thats all 4 now.....
Steve

The floor boards were redone because they were rusted, but I'm gonna check the work as much as possible. Im definately going to check for posi. Will that code still show up if its originally an 84? Thanks for all your input so far and if theres anything else I'd appreciate it.

I forgot to mention this part that wasn't in the stuff I posted when i started the thread: "Recently can hear a bottom-end tapping noise which goes away when the car gets warm."

That's my car he's talking about. I don't have the original RPO sticker as the decklid was replaced. Any questions I can help to answer or clarify, just let me know. You're right, I can't clarify the times it will run, I'm just generalizing from what I've been told.

My price dropped significantly because of this noise the car makes at a cold idle. I drive it everyday nonetheless :redface:

Sent you a PM on gdr...been thinking about it for a while. For what I put into this car (~9000), it wouldn't make sense to sell it, I'll be losing a ton of money and it kinda hurts my ego. I'm going to hang onto this mutt and run it into the ground :frown: