CA Emissions Test Questions Idle

terryk

Does anyone know what the upper RPM limit is for the standard static two speed emissions test for California? I'm not in a dyno area. Idle and 2500 RPM.

The engine is fully stock with a new cat, O2 and working EGR so I don't expect any problems but I did make a chip that:

1. Raised the PE enable to 50%. It certainly doesn't take 50% TPS to bring it up to 2500 RPM.
2. Set the boost WG to 0% through 2800. Just minimizes boost.
3. Set the fans to 215 on and 210 off.

I want to run the idle as high as I can to keep the cat lit.

Anyone see a problem with the above?

Terry

Looks like 1200 RPM is the max but running the idle up to 1000 seems a little suspicious. I'll go with 850-900.

TK

Assuming the vehicle is totally stock (with the addition of a new cat), that car should blow zeros across the board, with around 15% CO2 and O2 content at or around 0-0.3%. You shouldn't need to make any adjustments to idle speed.

Thanks Go, I'll leave it alone.

Edit: In thinking about this, why is it so many people have trouble passing? From these threads I would think the odds of passing are less than 50/50. I know many are modified but is it that people are trying to pass without dialing in the chip and running EGR/cat?

Terry

Before I even knew about TB.com, my totally stock car was blowing clean emissions, consistently. After making each modification, I go back and recheck. Currently, I have my intake gasket off, because my EGR passages are plugged. Seems, that the felpro intake gasket is not punched out for EGR.

I expected the Regal to do well but after reading these threads I was getting paranoid. With us being in CA, you have to keep them blowing clean. My Fiero and Buick SC engines rarely go over 10 HC. It sounds like a stock TR engine wil perform about the same.

I perfer to give up a bit of power and keep it clean. A bit of a challenge, but that's what they are for.

Thanks for the input!

Terry

Just remember that there are over 10,000 members here, and most that have to deal with emissions pass with little trouble. It's only the ones that fail that post here, and given how few of those posts there are compared to 10,000 members, the pass percentage must be pretty good :).

Update - Results

FOr those that care:

Stock engine (completely)
New Cat
Idle set to 750 RPM in the chip PN (idle is smoother there)
Fan set to 205/200 F.

Two Speed Idle test:

Idle (743 RPM) 74 HC .01 CO - Limit 120 HC Average 37
2500 RPM 51 HC .21 CO - Limit 1.20 CO Average 31

Base line for someone that might wonder on a stock car.

It is higher than the average and the average is well below the limit. I figured that since Regals seem to be known for failing and often are sent to test-only stations (I wasn't) that the average would be much higher.

Not as low as my 3800SC Ciera GT (1/1 HC and .01 CO) but close enough for government work!