CA. smog test...

Oaktown

t-typeless for 5 yrs..ugh
I am about to take my 87 GN in to get it smogged. I just bought it from Oregon. It runs good and made it back with no problems. Everything is stock. It has 155K on it. I changed the oil and am going to check out the spark plugs tomorrow...It sounds like it might have an exhaust leak but I can't tell for sure. It has 3in. headers/downpipe and high flow cat...any suggestions one things I should do or look for before I go in would be appreciated..I hate trying to pass smog in CA!!

Oaktown, I bought a T-Type from Michigan a month ago and here is what I did before I took it in: New spark plugs & wires, air filter, pcv valve, oxygen sensor, and new hi-flow cat. I took it in and it passed no problem. Check your EGR valve also.

I live in the Sacramento area where they have to do the full test at 2 speeds on rollers. Make sure the thermostat is at least 180 degrees and you drive the car on the highway for a few miles or in alot of traffic before you take it in. Basically you want the engine hot because fuel combusts more that way. Make sure your gas cap is good because they may check that also for sealing. Make sure all breathers are in a closed loop as well. Make sure everything on the outside "looks" stock.

Hope this helps.

If you have an exhaust leak, you should get it fixed. The analyzer has a dilution correction factor built into the gas bench. Means it compensates for exhaust leaks. It also may affect emissions in a negative way for you. You want the anyalyzer to sample the most clean undiluted sample.

hey!

i see your in Oakland,go to the smog place (corner lot)
on San Leandro st near 37th or 38th ave,I go there and its a quick in and out.

Hey whats up man, thats where i usually go, but I had it done in richmond this time. it was cheaper, and it passed. i got a national now...i was with you and my friend when we rode out to tracy that one time. i was in the green stang...now i got a national...we should all ride em back to back some time...see ya around..peace