Calendars are now available for sale!

If you have not ordered one before, I will be honest - they are NOT perfect photo quality. I run these on a Tektronix 1200DPI Color laser printer. (This years money will pay for some of next years new printer, so next year I will be at 2400DPI)

A lot of it has to do with the picture quality coming in also. This year was probably the best submissions (in terms of resolution) I have ever had.

Again, if you are expecting a store bought type 4 color press on heavy cardboard calendar, this is not the one for you. This year I did buy better paper, I went with 24lb 94 brightness laser paper, which helped the chrome look brighter.

I do these for fun and because no one else seems to want to do it. And there won't be ANY calendars in your local Wal-mart that even come close to having 1 Turbo Buick in it, let alone 12. - we could do the professional thing and I can sub it out to a printer. They make plates and do the run. But, for 75 calendars, you would be at a minimum of $35 each with the envelope and shipping.

You could easily make these at home on an inkjet printer. But, the laser toner doesn't run or smudge, or soak through, and think how much ink you would use doing 26 full color pages. Then don't forget the GBC binding machine and comb!

Seems to me this year I might have a few people not happy with quality, but they aren't saying anything to me about it. Just what I see here as a few snipes on the board (figures :rolleyes: )

If you are unhappy, let me know, mail it back to me and I will refund your money.

i wouldn't say im unsatisfied........just had a change of thought because i thought these were going to be pro-grade calendars but then i read the back of it and since you did this on your OWN i then decided wow i think i'll keep buying these because you won't find this anywhere.......keep up the good work on these!!

Does anyone else get the cookie error when submitting an order? Weird... I don't know if my order went through or not.

As for those bitching about the quality, if you don't like it you have 2 choices:
1) Go buy a different Turbo Buick calendar (good luck with that).
2) Don't buy one or return the one you already bought.

I'll stay off my soapbox for now and check on my order. ;)

Peter

Peter - if your last name starts with a "D" then I did get an order for 1 calendar from you. It will go out today.

Thanks again all! Enjoy!

Originally posted by tjthorson
Peter - if your last name starts with a "D" then I did get an order for 1 calendar from you. It will go out today.
Thanks again all! Enjoy!

Todd,
That's me, thanks for the quick ship. I found out the cookie error was on my side, so don't worry about it.

Peter

Hi there Todd,

I just submitted payment via paypal for (2) two calendars. I am looking forward to them and keep up the good work. TIA.

Shev.

I am not bashing...
Just voicing my opinion

I was pretty disappointed with the quality and layout...For 20 bucks I was little ticked...I got a calendar last night that was 12 bucks twice as large and quality...now I know they should cost a little more than usual because of the small scale your doing this on but charging $20 for this imo "slapped together" calendar is rediculous and if my car hadn't been in it I would be sending it back

I recieved my calendar the other day and I would just like to say how much I appreciate you doing this for the Turbo Buick Community! Yes, the price is more than you would pay in a store, but I would much rather have a unique and personal calendar than one of those generic ones anyday!

THANKS AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Originally posted by Mr. Tee
I am not bashing...
Just voicing my opinion

I was pretty disappointed with the quality and layout...For 20 bucks I was little ticked...I got a calendar last night that was 12 bucks twice as large and quality...now I know they should cost a little more than usual because of the small scale your doing this on but charging $20 for this imo "slapped together" calendar is rediculous and if my car hadn't been in it I would be sending it back

I think we have someone who didnt recieve his C&C machined Speed hole in his calendar..

Maybe you didnt read his previuous post, what do you expect for a run of 75 Calendars... I bought last years and I will be buying this years, and while its no store bought masterpiece, it does take a lot of time and effort and features everyone cars...

I would expect him not to try and make such a large profit...more than 75 would buy one if they wernt so cheap looking, or if he lowered the price? profit maximization = common sense

LARGE PROFIT????????

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

Do you not get the clue that if there WAS a profit - others would be trying to get in on the action.

Take 25 full color prints and head down to the Kinkos. Tell them you want double sided on 94 brightness 24# paper. Your local kinkos may be different. Mine was $1.90 per page in quantities of 100 minimum. Online I found a place for $1.52, if I order 250. Thats 250 EACH page, so you would have 250 calendars sitting around your house.....

Then you want it punched and combed with a GBC binder. Take it in and its .50 per calendar. Buy them yourself, its $10 for 100 combs (.10 each) and $180 for P100 binding machine. (You can only punch half the calendar at a time with this smallest machine)

Then buy a large manilla envelope and $1.06 for postage.
9x12 mailing envelopes are $10 per 100 for the heavy ones.

Add that all up. Tell me how much you want to sell them for.

Now, also don't forget the free ones you have to give away to the mods of TurboBuick.com and your 1 winner from the voting. That's 6 free ones off the top. Last year it was $70 for an ad banner. Figure out how many calendars you need to sell for that $70.

Not sure if its the cold medicine talking, but your assumptions of "thrown together" "bad quality" and "profit" make me sick.

I currently am in the midst of 6 months of 2 new businesses that have me so run down I can't shake a sinus infection after 3 weeks. That keeps me more then busy to worry about a $150 of headaches making, printing and addressing envelopes. :mad:

So you say you want to do it at home??? Calculate out how much it costs per page with paper and consumables on your color laser printer. Don't even include the $2200 cost for the printer.

You want to try an inkjet? hahahahahahaha good luck.

Don't forget too, lots of pics come in substandard quality. Everyone enters the digital age with a $99 digital camera and sends in pics taken with it. Makes for a heck of a time with paint shop pro, sharpening, brightening and adjusting colors to get it to print the best.

I make these calendars for my Buick brothers because they like them, and in September I had emails asking when the next one was coming.

You aren't happy, thats fine. PLEASE return it and I will refund your money. It was stated in the original post when you submitted your picture that these are not cardboard, korean printed store type calendars. They are not done with 4 color plates and printed on a press. My cousin owns a print shop. The first year calendars were done by him. He did the calendar part in B&W on a copier to cut cost. Each calendar cost me $18 and he did most of the plate work for cost because I do his computers. I sold the for $24. After the $1 postage, .25 envelope, and .50 GBC binding, you add up the "profit" and see if your would do it for a few dollars. Don't forget paypal's cut of $.80 per calendar!

Derek, perhaps since there is so much profit in it, you would care to take over this project next year? I would be more then happy to give you the tips and tricks and just send you my $20.......

If someone else decides they want to do it better/cheaper/faster, please let me know before February. My 2 year ago $2200 printer is now worth $1000, and I was planning on upgrading to the new bad boy on the block, the 2400 DPI Xerox.
http://www.printershowcase.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PSO&Product_Code=XX6250DP

your not doing me a favor by taking my $20 and giving me an 8 1/2" X 11" 12 page pile of junk...
I'd rather buy a calendar with out stupid buicks in it that is quality rather than one that looks like a 11 slapped together
good luck to you
<end of rant>

I'll take that as a "no" on doing it yourself, huh?

Again, I will be more then happy to return your $20 and you can go buy 2 "perfect" calendars with duckies and bunnies or 1950's cars at the local Walmart.

I don't want anyone else here to think I am unappreciative or think you all feel this way. It seems I have 1 person each year that just doesn't understand what it takes, and finds it real easy to criticize and take pot shots without having the nads to step up to the plate and improve the process.

Again, I do them because I enjoy them. I put several hours into the layouts, many more hours into the pictures themselves, between mailboxes to catch them, tabulate them, take care of the voting etc.

I do it for the love of the car and my friends here (in all the turbobuick communities)

I am hoping you don't take it personal Derek, I was just trying to get you to see the other side of the fence....

your not doing me a favor by taking my $20 and giving me an 8 1/2" X 11" 12 page pile of junk...
I'd rather buy a calendar with out stupid buicks in it that is quality rather than one that looks like a 11 slapped together
good luck to you
<end of rant>

Maybe not, but he was doing you a favor by offering to refund your money if you would just send it back. That's more than I would do. After all, you were told of the quality before you purchased it. If you chose not to read all about it, then that is your fault.
If Buicks are so stupid, then why do you own one? Maybe you should get a shirt that says, "I'm with stupid." Just watch out someone doesn't stick a bumper sticker on your car that says the same.

Now, i want to ask you the same question. Why don't you take up the task of throwing this together next year? It might be fun. You never know. Try it, you might like it. Hey, you might even make a few dollars.;)

Sorry man, but calling someone's hard work (for others I might add) a pile of junk just isn't cool. If you don't like it send it back, end of story. Besides, who cares what it is printed on? Are you going to use it as a place mat, or hang it on the wall? It's just a calendar.

Sheese, some people.

Todd........

Back in 2001 when Todd first started with the Calenders they had a simple layout that looked nice...Over the years they have only gotten better (More color, Pictures)....As for us (The TurboBuick Community) we are really a small dying breed. We are lucky to have someone make a calender for us.

Todd, Thanks for the calender for the 4th year in a row.

Hang in there Todd, 99 out of 100 Buick owners appreciate your work. Hope you even want to do this next year after listening to that tirade.

Gee, wish my GN was featured in February.:D

good luck to you
<end of rant>

January 2004 of the new Buick Calendar : "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain, and most fools do." - Ben Franklin

It's kind of sad that your car was chosen as the featured car for February and you're still ragging on the calendar. Maybe you'd be flattered, or god forbid, a little bit thankful.

At the end of January I'm just going to pull your pic out and throw it in the garbage and look at Gene and Robin's car for another month. It's better looking and faster than yours anyhow.

Regards,
Peter