You can type here any text you want

California is an Oxymoron (long, venting)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

KillrV6

Former owner
so im just driving along minding my own beezwax at 12 AM out to get a snack in the 87 limited. im the only car on the road.

i see a cop car coming up in the distance behind me so i check my speed. 40 in a 35, so i slow down a tad to 34.

the cop tailgates me for a while, so i move over into the slow lane to let him pass?

he follows me over and turns on his lights.

now my car is an 87 limited as grandma as can be. the only real hint to its preformance is the new 275/60/15 drag radials that i must say give it a slightly mean stance.

ok so maby i have a tale light out?

no. the officer tells me that he pulled me over because "my exhaust is all modafied"
i run a hooker setup on my car, which is as quiet as stock ever was:rolleyes:

in the end, he didnt give me a ticket, but just told me that "in california, any modafication to the exhaust is illegal."

ok so here is my question: when you buy a new suburban from a chevy dealership, you can pay extra to have a flowmaster system put on. same with a mustang from a ford dealer. every 5.0 ive ever seen has a modafied exhaust system on it, even if its stock and being driven by an old man.

why dont THESE people get pulled over? why dosent the state step in and not allow the dealerships to install exhaust systems on cars?

what do you do when your car is 15 years old and the exhaust system is falling apart?? you need to replace it with somthing dont you?? i dont think you can order a new exhaust system from the dealership.

what a stupid law.
:mad:

Meanwhile, two blocks over a crack-head is stabbing an elderly woman over $1.75. :rolleyes:

And they're never around when your getting run off the road by some fool, or some idiots driving down the shoulder on the freeway.

Evan,

There is no law that the officer was claiming.
This is something police say to pull over a car
that they do not have probable cause to do.
When I was in my early 20's an had my Cherry Gn
and my black T type I would get pulled over and followed as well.
I never got a ticket in a buick though. Back to this "Law".
There is not a law saying that you can not modify the exhaust.
Anything after the cat as long as it is not to loud is legal.
If you don't think so ask Tyson he will give you the info!

Just a quick question, how come a PCPed out convict harley rider can drive around with open pipes durring his 3am run to the meth lab with no issues and I can not drive home from blockbuster at 10pm with our being pulled over. I don't think my little buick is really that scary. Maybe must cops are mustang owners trying to get revenge!!! LMAO

Funny how all the cat back systems say they are 50 state legal and this Johnny Law takes the iniative to research every single one to be able to prove that they aren't.

I am pretty sure that there is some sort of law against Fart Cans and things used to make the exhaust louder and more annoying, but give me a break, isn't there a clause in that law that says it only applies to cars with shopping cart wings.:D

Sounds like he was on a fishing expidition and just used that as his excuse to pull you over.

Vehicle code 27151 is the law governing exhaust system noise amplification. My GN (and Chevelle) was used in the training video for the CHP (prepared by Bureau of Automotive Repair Standards and Training Unit). Noise cannot exceed 95 db on the meter when tested at a Referee station (at 2600 rpm, 3200rpm for the Chevelle). If you receive a ticket from law enforcement for 27151, you will be directed to make an appointment at a Referee station and have your exhaust sytem tested for excessive exhaust noise. They will use a device, placed at a specific distance to measure sound. My GN measured 81 db (max is 95 db). My Chevelle measured 106 db (as a comparison, the maxumum db ever at a Sacramento Kings game is 104). I'm considering changing from flowmasters back to a Walker exhaust for the Chevelle. Sorry to burst your bubble about excessive exhaust noise. Actually, you can thank those import fart cans for enforcement of this VC.

I think you got pulled over because your car looks like something a drug dealer might ride around in. (Admit it, our cars are popular with them) When he realized you weren't a dealer or on drugs, he made up a poor excuse for pulling you over. It's happened to me and that's my take...

James

I have never found a logical reason why a Harley with straight pipes has a free pass on noise tickets either. These things are hella loud. CHP can tend to be very anal about any changes to a car. The favorite one is tinted front windows. The other is if you are young, they will use any excuse possible to pull you over, if for nothing else than to let you know they are there and watching.

Thanks for the clarification regarding the law.
I will have to quote the vehicle code next time
I am told it is not legal to modify your exhaust.
As I thought it is not illegal there are just legal limits
to the db it can produce!!!

Evan you have a baby face, at least that is what my wife tells me. The police are probably
wondering how a young man could have such a pimping car.
Don't feel bad I was carded for a rated R movie at 23yrs old

"The police are probably
wondering how a young man could have such a pimping car.
Don't feel bad I was carded for a rated R movie at 23yrs old"

yeah at 1 AM john lol

"I think you got pulled over because your car looks like something a drug dealer might ride around in. (Admit it, our cars are popular with them) When he realized you weren't a dealer or on drugs, he made up a poor excuse for pulling you over. It's happened to me and that's my take...

James"

yeah i was thinking about this. my TR is so quiet. i think that these cars do look like somthing a gangsta might be cruzing around in every now and than.

its sad, but alot of my friends have been sent to state reff because they cop used "modafied exhaust" as an excuse to pop the hood to inspect for "blow off valves" and "upgraded turbo and intake".

"Vehicle code 27151 is the law governing exhaust system noise "

good to know!

Back