You can type here any text you want

cam bearings help!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

skostur79

im finishing gutting my 85 block
and just my luck that #2 cam bearing is spun and stuck on the cam :mad:

so now its gotta go to the machine shop

but is this problem fixable?

because once u spin a rod bearing the rod is junk , you'd thing the block would be too

so how many seen this and what have they done to correct it??

Yes, It is fixable!!!

The 109 blocks have a .020 larger OD on # 1 and #4 cam bearing. Have the shop torque the main caps and the HEADS WITH GASKETS on and line bore all 4 bores to the 87 # 1 and # 4 specs size. Worthless if you don't torque the heads on. Been there--- done that. Then you will need to buy 2 sets of 87 cam bearings and use the 4 large bearings. The reason they spin is because we pull the bore from 3 different directions (main caps and 2 heads). By over torquing as most of us do, this can, and does happen. 3 times for me.

thanks lee,

but i dont have a 87 block and the engine was remanfactored in 94 but i dont know by who?

do you think that most machine shop will do this when the see a spun bearing

i take it the cam is shot now too

the costs are adding up
im looking all most even cost wise to get a reman-short block

i plan on giving my block and heads to my machine shop , once my valve springs get in

87 block

Right, you said it was an 85 block---87 blocks are known as 109 blocks also.
85 cam bearings (all 4 )have the same od as the #2 and # 3 on an 87 (109 block)

my block is a 25524140

so your saying have the shop put in two sets of the 87" cam bearings because there oversized

Bearings

I believe all blocks cast prior to 86 take a different cam bearing part # than the 86 and later (109) blocks.
If you measure the 4 cam bearing bores of an 85 and older block--they will all 4 be the same size.
If you measure the 4 bores of a 109 block -- the 2 end bores (1 and 4) will be .020 larger then the 2 center bore which are the same size as all 4 in the 85 block
Therefore you will need to bore all 4 cam bearing bores of your 85 block to the specs of # 1 and # 4 of an 86-87 (109 )
Which should be .020 larger then they are now--assuming it has not worn the block too far.
Clear?

news flash block is scrap
will cost 500.00 to oversize this one

so im on the hunt for one ,

Back