You can type here any text you want

CAm companies can................?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Nick Micale

Tech Advisor
Staff member
:D

I have some one checking on a cam for me. I decided to do a little checking around my self. Here is the basics of what they ALL are telling me:

Cams are rough ground close to the "average" or "common" specs (not just the lobes but also the bearing journals). They are then heat treated to a depth around .060". The cams can / will warp during this process. Since they are rough ground fairly close and the heat treat goes 60 deep they are then able to true the cam up and finish grind it w/o going through the heat treat (therefore not breaking into the softer untreated metal).

Now the problem is I'm looking to get a cam thats around 220 @ .050" lift. This is a Pee-Wee cam compared to the average stage 2 headed application. The cam can not be ground that small w/o breaking through the heat treat. You can not take a old cam and grind it down and retreat it because you have no extra stock left in the journals to true the cam back up after the heat treat.

Comp cams told me they can do a cam based on a round lobe blank. This would be a multistep drawn out process and wont be cheap. They told me it would take 4 to 6 weeks to make the cam and it would cost around $800 for the cam.

Crane cams told me they could make me a custom hydraulic flat tappet for $204. With all the bad luck people have with flat tappet cams in these motors I don't know if I would feel comfortable trying to run one.

Any body else been through this?

Jason

This was edited due to the original thread title.

Problem solved- take my 224/224/110 and the pushrods and all :) It's in exc cond and ~ what you want anyway, sooo... Wonder why was Comp able to do that one but not the 220? Hmm... I've found that sometimes it depends on who is on the phone at the time too...

Yes, same problem with trying to spread the lobe sep out- we run into a limit of gridning through the heat treat of the blanks apparently. So, if you want more lobe sep you have to step up to a billet. $hee$h...

TurboTR

can that 224/110 lobe sep be changed to lets say 114? Its whats holding me back on buying this cam

What'cha got in mind for cams? Let's get an interesting tech discussion going on them for once :) I assume you are interested in reducing the overlap, but maybe some other effects as well?

TurboTR

TurboTR:

Is the cam you listed above for stock style of for stage 2 style heads? My problem is that I want a smaller roller cam for a stage 2 headed motor.

As far as general discussion on the cam I'm thinking right around 220 (or close to it) duration @.050", hydraulic roller. I want the cam to pull hard up to about 6500 rpm.

Jason, I bought a Comp hydraulic roller for S2 heads about 3 years ago, and it's 222/218 @ .050, with about 112 LDA. Pulls like a mutha on the low end. Call Comp and ask for Tim Cole. Unless they're out of S2 Buick blanks, they should be able to fix you up for around $300 or so.

I have driven the 224 billet roller in my car for 3 years now, and the vacuum at idle about 10 inches is a bit low, and i find this camshaft hard on fuel at low rpm, my buddy had a 230 cam and it it ran like a kitten but it had a 114 centerline, so im thinking centerline is an important role here for streetablity.

Hmm, interesting. My vacuum was like 16+ with the 224 extreme street profile. It's still higher than 10 with a 242. The 224 was very mild in my car.

TurboTR

it's 222/218 @ .050, with about 112 LDA. Pulls like a mutha on the low end.

Thats what I'm wanting to hear and thanks for the input. One thing that we should define though is low end rpm. At what rpm range did your cam start feeling like it was making good power? Also what rpm range did your car feel like it wasn't lugging?

I'm going to have a different set up than what most people run. I have a turbo 400 switch pitch tranny. I have an 11" 4200 rpm high stall and 1900 rpm low stall torque convertor.

I've got a 2004R with an Art Carr 9" approx 3400 stall. T76 BB with a .69 AR turbine housing. Full port job on the heads with 2.125/1.625 valves. 9:1 CR.

No lugging at all, but it really takes off around 3000 RPM. It's really got too much bottom end for the street. I'm going to step up to a bigger AR turbine housing soon. (When I had a 60-1 with an .81 AR, it was just insane!) Don't forget (if you're talking about a 274 Stage II engine) that these things made 550 HP with a 12:1 CR, and around 450 or more with the 9:1 ASA setup. Granted, that was at 7200+ RPM, but it's still a strong motor without any boost.

Again, talk to Tim Cole at Comp. He's a Buick V6 NA racer. Tell him what you've got and what you want to do. He'll set you up. :)

Back