You can type here any text you want

Cam gear drive tips

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Alky V6

Let's go racing, boyz!
Does anyone have any tips on using the Milodon gear drive? Backlash clearance? Mods to mount the support plate better? I'm thinking of using a dowel pin above and below the idler gear to secure the support plate instead of relying on just the 4 bolts. Has there been a problem with the support plate working loose with the recommended mounting method?

Don, maybe Ron Tarabori will respond..he has experience with these. I have one but don't think I'll use it since I'm using the hybrid front cover I built. Did you find a S2 dry sump front cover yet? Heck, Neal may have one, for that matter. I found the P/N in a book I have that covers some Ruggles S2 buildups; I can post it tonight or tomorrow if you want.

That would be great. I think Neal gave me the same contact that you were mentioning when you were by last time. I'll hit you guys up for his name again when I get close to needing the cover.

Milodon said to use a strip of news print run through the gears to set the lash then drill the holes through the plate into the block to match.
Also here is the manuel
Gear drive how to

Thanks for the link. The directions I received with the gearset were a little different than the ones at the link. Still, has anyone experienced the bolts loosening or the plate sliding out of position? No matter how careful you are at drilling these holes there's going to be some clearance between the holes and the bolts and potential for the plate to move. My directions didn't give me a backlash figure (.006-.008). I figured it was around six because the newspaper measured .003" thick. Thanks guys for the help.

Gear Drives

Don, I try and use around .005 for backlash. As far as the plate moving around most of the ones I've seen have the top two holes countersunk and use a bolt with a round head that fits snugly in the hole. A little blue loctite and I dont think you have to worry about it coming loose. Most of the ones I've torn down were so tight you had to worry about twisting the allen wrench before it would break loose. I've got piles of stage front covers when you need one. Haven't spent much time on here lately as racing season starts two weeks from Sat. and I haven't even started putting my motor together yet.

Back