Cam sensor help in Houston???

HeavyRightFoot

Hey all, Heres the story. Just finished doing a cam swap, Ive owned the car for 3 weeks and dont know much about them. I have everything back together, initial timing correct, firing order, etc. but the car will not start. Im assuming that I have the cam sensor installed wrong. Ive read the link on cam sensor installation, and Im having trouble understanding. I dont want to do trial and error as I dont want to crank the car over and over on a new cam, and I dont want to drain the battery. If someone is willing to lend me a hand with it tonight or Sunday morning I will buy lunch. Thanks

J

Hi, I can`t come by, but I`ll try to walk you through. Find the factory timing mark on the harmonic balancer, looking from the front of the car, measure 1 & 9/16" to the left of the mark, this will be after top dead center, make a mark with a chisel or hack saw blade. It may already have 1 there. With #1 spark plug out, turn engine over to compression stroke. Turn the engine by hand clockwise & line up the new mark with 0 on the timing tab, you are at 25 degrees AFTER top dead center. Take the cap off the cam sensor. You`ll see a notch on the housing where the cap fits, cap will go on one way only. There is a rectangle stamped on the flat part inside the wheel, across from the window. Loosen cam sensor, rotate the housing to line up the rectangle on the wheel with the notch in the housing. turn housing counterclockwise approx. 1/8". tighten bolt. Engine will start. I did several engines this way before I bought a cam sensor tool, I`ve even double checked it with the tool, right on the money. Call me if you need more info. 713-682-6737. Robert

since I have the sensor out of the car do I do this and the drop the sensor in with the wires pointing towards the drivers headlight?

That is the easiest way, the way the factory did it. You can do it!:biggrin:

I think I got the cam sensor in right. I found that the ring on the back of the balancer is bent and it took out my crank sensor,($#!^&&$). U know were to find a balancer pretty quick? This is my DD and Im getting tired of bumming a ride everywhere.

I have an extra one you can use until you find another one to replace it. I`ve seen several on eBay for sale. Call me at work 713-796-8744. Robert

Ya it runs, but it wiped the new cam out on startup:mad: :mad: :mad:

Im selling it since I dont have anymore time or cash to dump into it.:(

I hate :mad: to hear that. We replaced a couple of cams in my son`s car before we got a good one. These cars can be frustrating to get to run right, but once you do they are fun:smile: to drive. You can list the car in the "for sale" section on this website.